so.. uh... baltimore.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
All cops are thugs.
All blacks are thugs.

Do these generalizations help the issue?

Some cops are thugs, a minority.
Some blacks are thugs, a minority.
...also
Some whites are thugs, a minority.
Some teachers are thugs, a minority.

If someone jumps you, robs you, or rapes you or yours - i'm pretty sure you will be calling those thugs to come help you out. I don't doubt there are horrible police officers - there are horrible people in every field, every creed, every nation. We need to stop demonizing identifiers and start demonizing specific behaviors and the specific people who perform and condone the behaviors.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
the elites they serve

Up here in Canada there is a story about a neighbor complaining about some 4 year old kid running around naked in his own back yard.

Cops immediately show up and threaten to take the fathers kids away if it happens again.
Now the dad is totally rattled and the kids are both traumatized AND mortally afraid of cops.

And here's the part of the story that really pissed me off
"The disturbing part of it was ... I had [previously had] a break-in in the middle of the day, with my wife and children inside the house eating lunch, and the RCMP had never even bothered to come — they said that they didn't have resources,"

Kid snatching, murder, theft, extortion....more and more it looks like police are assuming the roles of the criminals they are pretending to deal* with.

* "resources" permitting.

Last edited:

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
LOL! People are all up in arms about looting and throwing rocks while the police are killing people with impunity. Most countries have militaries that have a fraction of the weaponry and body count of US law enforcement.

Current police causes homicides are at about 400-600 per year. This includes justified homicides.
The current US population is just under 320 Million.
This means you have about a 1-1.5 in 100,000 chance of dying at the hands of a police officer.

This rate has not changed by much in the past 8 years, according to the FBI.
I'd hardly say they're killing with impunity.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Your math is awful.

With your numbers - that's 1 in 640,000.

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
Current police causes homicides are at about 400-600 per year. This includes justified homicides.
The current US population is just under 320 Million.
This means you have about a 1-1.5 in 100,000 chance of dying at the hands of a police officer.

This rate has not changed by much in the past 8 years, according to the FBI.
I'd hardly say they're killing with impunity.

I really have to laugh at you citing a government agencies' report about another government agencies' homicide rates. Yeah, they don't have an incentive to skew those numbers at all. Those are obviously the numbers of "reported, verified, cleaned, and tidied" police homicides. So you tell me, how many homicides do you think go unknown, uncharged, and dismissed as "accidents" or "justified force"?

http://www.killedbypolice.net/
http://www.fatalencounters.org/

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
All cops are thugs.
All blacks are thugs.

Do these generalizations help the issue?

Some cops are thugs, a minority.
Some blacks are thugs, a minority.
...also
Some whites are thugs, a minority.
Some teachers are thugs, a minority.

If someone jumps you, robs you, or rapes you or yours - i'm pretty sure you will be calling those thugs to come help you out. I don't doubt there are horrible police officers - there are horrible people in every field, every creed, every nation. We need to stop demonizing identifiers and start demonizing specific behaviors and the specific people who perform and condone the behaviors.

The word "Thug" is offensive.

Against south Asians.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
the problem with cops is that we still use human cops.
Ed209.jpg

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
You know what I've noticed in all of these cases? Fleeing or resisting arrest. Which heavily suggests guilt. Whoops!

People need to learn how to deal with police better. You don't fight them. You comply and if they're in the wrong, you take them to court later.

Yeah, in a perfect world ... where law enforcement agencies don't tamper with evidence, intimidate witnesses, give false statements and cover-up for fellow officers.

it was also still legal in Missouri to kill Mormons until about that year (1976, to be exact).

Too bad for you, eh?

People are not born Mormons... don't play the "we were victims too" shit.

At least you didn't deny that the Mormon church is filled with bigotry, even 30-40 years ago.

Last edited:

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
No, I was implying it was too late for you to go Mormon hunting in Missouri, you obviously hate us enough.

You're just as big a bigot as you say we are, man. Any chance you get you post up a completely unrelated reply to something I say. I WOULD say its impossible to have an intelligent discussion here, but that was evident 6 pages ago.

As for playing the victim, maybe its my "white privilege" talking, but I would never use my faith or my race as an excuse to play the victim, or be victimized. On the flip side, no one should be ashamed of the color of their skin, or what they believe.

NO ONE.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
No, I was implying it was too late for you to go Mormon hunting in Missouri, you obviously hate us enough.

You're just as big a bigot as you say we are, man. Any chance you get you post up a completely unrelated reply to something I say. I WOULD say its impossible to have an intelligent discussion here, but that was evident 6 pages ago.
Well, you believe in magical underwear, so how intelligent of a conversation are you up for?

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Your math is awful.

With your numbers - that's 1 in 640,000.

Yeah, I fucked up that math pretty good.
That's what I get for using google as a calculator and trying to be too hasty.

Regardless, even if you go with Beezlebub's http://www.killedbypolice.net/ numbers of just over 1100 deaths cause by police per year and DOUBLE that to account for whatever errors in accounting, you're still 16x less likely to die by police officer than say, in a car accident.

Police are not "killing with impunity" by and large.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Yeah, I fucked up that math pretty good.
That's what I get for using google as a calculator and trying to be too hasty.

Regardless, even if you go with Beezlebub's http://www.killedbypolice.net/ numbers of just over 1100 deaths cause by police per year and DOUBLE that to account for whatever errors in accounting, you're still 16x less likely to die by police officer than say, in a car accident.

Police are not "killing with impunity" by and large.

If only you knew the definition of impunity:
im·pu·ni·ty
imˈpyo͞onədē/
noun
noun: impunity

exemption from punishment or freedom from the injurious consequences of an action.
"the impunity enjoyed by military officers implicated in civilian killings"
synonyms: immunity, indemnity, exemption (from punishment), freedom from liability

Last edited:

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
con·text
ˈkäntekst/
noun
noun: context; plural noun: contexts

the circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood and assessed.

If they could kill with impunity, they'd be doing it a lot more often.

also: http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/14/us/ferguson-police-involved-shootings-killings-data/

"No excessive force in 99.6% of calls"

http://www.policemisconduct.net/2010-npmsrp-police-misconduct-statistical-report/#_Excessive_Force

Of all 1,575 officers involved in reported excessive force complaints, there have been 127 fatalities associated with credible excessive force allegations within 2010, which means approximately 8.1% of reported excessive force cases involved fatalities.

Also, on average 4 officers go to jail per year for use of excessive force while on duty.
It may seem like a low number, but so is 127 fatalities by excessive force.

That doesn't seem like the statistics pointing to "impunity"

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
4 going to jail per year per year for any excessive force offense vs 127 excessive force deahts.

That means, between 123-127 excessive force deaths did not result in a trip in the clink.
That is impunity.

Furthermore, several states have laws designed to make very it difficult to convict police of anything (which means impunity). Of which, Maryland's law is considered to be the second most protective. Baltimore PD itself is notorious for being unable to even disciplining officers.
Impunity

Hell, a local cop up here was off duty, drunk, driving and texting. Killed two pedestrians. Got probation.
WTF?

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
People beaten to death in police custody is fucked and wrong. Full stop. Doesn't matter what you did to deserve being there. Doesn't matter what kind of person you were. The police are there to protect and serve the public interest. Murdering unarmed civilians doesn't serve the public interest and those involved need to be treated the same way any average citizen would be.

Rioting and looting is wrong. Full stop. Don't care if you're mad at the police. Don't care if you're poor. Don't care if you're downtrodden. Don't care if your favorite team won a title. You can understand the reasoning behind people's anger and still recognize that the kind of shit we've been seeing in B-more the last few days is wrong and the work of a group of opportunists who are taking advantage of a shit situation.

I'm tired of arguing this shit because people never argue the actual points. Racists will blame it on black people willfully ignoring decades if not centuries of institutional racism and guilty white liberals will infantalize black people and excuse them of any personal responsibility because "racism". Cops who break the law need to be punished to the full extent of the law and if there are systems in place that prevent that from happening, those systems need to be crushed by peaceful protest and investigative journalism like the kind done post-Ferguson. The only reason shit doesn't change is because the average person is lazy and won't follow through with holding the appropriate parties responsible.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Hell, a local cop up here was off duty, drunk, driving and texting. Killed two pedestrians. Got probation.
WTF?

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/off-duty-nypd-kills-pedestrian-car-si-article-1.1476314

Not all cops are assholes.

also:
Some interesting news on the matter

http://thefourthestate.co/2015/04/b...ad-spine-surgery-just-one-week-before-arrest/

Apparently, there's going to be some more info at 6PM EST.

I've seen some conflicting reports on it, but if this is true, it really weakens the case for police brutality.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Well, you believe in magical underwear, so how intelligent of a conversation are you up for?

stuff like this goes almost unnoticed in threads like this. that's pretty criminal.
about the rest of it, we as a society are probably stupider than 30 years ago.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
People beaten to death in police custody is fucked and wrong. Full stop. Doesn't matter what you did to deserve being there. Doesn't matter what kind of person you were. The police are there to protect and serve the public interest. Murdering unarmed civilians doesn't serve the public interest and those involved need to be treated the same way any average citizen would be.

Rioting and looting is wrong. Full stop. Don't care if you're mad at the police. Don't care if you're poor. Don't care if you're downtrodden. Don't care if your favorite team won a title. You can understand the reasoning behind people's anger and still recognize that the kind of shit we've been seeing in B-more the last few days is wrong and the work of a group of opportunists who are taking advantage of a shit situation.

I'm tired of arguing this shit because people never argue the actual points. Racists will blame it on black people willfully ignoring decades if not centuries of institutional racism and guilty white liberals will infantalize black people and excuse them of any personal responsibility because "racism". Cops who break the law need to be punished to the full extent of the law and if there are systems in place that prevent that from happening, those systems need to be crushed by peaceful protest and investigative journalism like the kind done post-Ferguson. The only reason shit doesn't change is because the average person is lazy and won't follow through with holding the appropriate parties responsible.

I read posts like this and I am reminded that there are many people who have never been pushed down the wrong path. There are people who have never felt backed into a corner.

It's good, I guess. I mean, at least some people have it good.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Let's try and be positive guys...

I think the tides are changing and white people are starting to understand/feel some of the frustration black people have been experiencing. Here is a really moving pic of some white guys partaking in one of the riots.

Spoiler:
Riot.jpg

EDIT: oh my bad, that pic was from some hockey game...

Last edited:

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Ha, I was just looking for an excuse to post that pic because I find their poses and expressions absolutely hilarious.