Kraut Buster New NGDEV - 2015

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
Anyone get this while playing and if so, why???

No, have not had any issues playing like what you pictured, I'm playing on an OMEGA, have only had random sound cut outs for 1 - 2 seconds - have not yet brought this up to Timm as I want to see if it only happens in certain areas.

Last edited:

Buffi

Zero's Secretary
Finally
J22ZSRm.jpg

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
If you have a spare three hours...

Brilliant thank you for uploading.
I will admit that the game looks competent. Highlights, some enemy designs, the music (excellent), nice and colourful. It looks to be somewhat close in spirit to MS6, but I'd say it looks more fun than that game. Congrats to the developers.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Looks alright, I hope they port this to a contemporary machine.

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I can’t get into the soft dips, what do you have to press? Hold start and then turn the cab on? Doesn’t work for me.

Running Universe Bios 3.3 - USA arcade mode. Is there some universe bios setting that could be messing this up?

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
I can’t get into the soft dips, what do you have to press? Hold start and then turn the cab on? Doesn’t work for me.

Running Universe Bios 3.3 - USA arcade mode. Is there some universe bios setting that could be messing this up?

Holding Start while kicking on the power pulls up the soft DIPS for me with my UniBIOS 3.3. My hard dips are set to Free Play if that matters.

You can also hold Start whenever the game cycles again to just before the NG Dev logo on the Now Loading screen - let it sit through the opening, demo loop and high score display.

I think that's kind of a bug BTW since someone playing the cab in an arcade could get into the Soft DIPS that way. Might be a Free Play thing - I dunno.

Last edited:

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Thanks dude!

I think I’m hitting some other bugs too- after a game over, entering a name, and seeing the high score screen, the game seems to crash and then restart with the MVS in hardware test mode. This is a flawless MVS C board with every other game.

No big worries, it plays fine, just has some wonkiness like all NG: Dev stuff seems to.

Pretty fun so far though! I’m more of a shmup fan, so I enjoyed their previous games more right off the bat, but Kraut seems to have a decent amount of content and plays pretty well. I’ll see how it grows on me.

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
Thanks dude!
I think I’m hitting some other bugs too- after a game over, entering a name, and seeing the high score screen, the game seems to crash and then restart with the MVS in hardware test mode. This is a flawless MVS C board with every other game.

I had the same issue on four different playthroughs - hitting Start after entering my name while the high scores are displayed crashes the game to the MVS hardware test mode. I reported it to Timm - I encourage you to do the same.

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Yeah, I reported it
It does actually still keep the high score, it just crashes as it tries to restart attract mode.

I’m liking the grenade variety... but wish the masks had a bigger impact. Some masks I can’t even tell what it changed when I first pick them up. Is there a guide to those somewhere?

Ukyo

20 Year Member
A page or so back I listed what mask abilities I know of, only addition to that list is the chick head let's you float to the ground after jump if you hold b (you will see yellow feathers drop).

I found all the treasures in stage 1, working on 2-1.

Favorite thing about this game is you can't credit feed score like in slug.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Favorite thing about this game is you can't credit feed score like in slug.

What are you talking about credit feeding a score? If you continue in a Slug game it adds 1 point to your score, so if you use 5 credits your score will end in a 5, it's so people can't cheat and say they got a high score on one credit.

a5e6d0238969f3027b8e8ff6f7234e75.jpg

Mr Morden

n00b
Thanks to everyone who posted videos and comments great stuff.
If you ranked this against all the metal slugs where do you guys think it would fall?

Buffi

Zero's Secretary
Had some time to play it today, and credit fed through it on t-mode.

- Graphics, sound, music, presentation in general is amazing. This is definitely way ahead of a lot of official MVS releases. Looks and sounds great.
- Controls feel really good,
- Nice to have the options to play C-mode, even though it's quite obvious that T-mode is how the game was meant to be played
- Bosses are fine imo. There's decent variety in how they behave, and how they play.

That said, the game is REALLY FUCKING HARD?
I can clear Metal Slug 1 on one credit most of the time, but not any of the other slugs. In this game, I felt like I was really getting my ass kicked.
I think I played this on the normal difficulty, but I just got killed constantly here. Might have to try it on easy as well.

Game crashes for me as well after entering my name after clearing the game (and then restarts fine). I'm on a Unibios 1-slot setup. This doesn't really bother me much tbh.

Overall, I'm very impressed by this game I have all earlier ngdevteam games as well, and this is by far the one that feel most polished and like an actual official game. The presentation of this is insanely good, and the only complaint I have is that it seems too hard for me :) I'll try it on t-mode easy, and see how that feel.

Dunno how it holds up, but right now I'm super happy with my purchase.

Thanks to everyone who posted videos and comments great stuff.
If you ranked this against all the metal slugs where do you guys think it would fall?

I don't think it's fair to judge this after just a quick session with the game, but below 1,3 and X for sure.
Probably ahead of 4, not sure about 5.
Definitely ahead of 2, but that game was just a rush job that is a pain to play because of the slowdowns.

Mr Morden

n00b
Wow thanks for the quick response buffi the game sounds preety good.
I actually liked metal slug 4 and 5 i know this is not a popular view.
If neo geo dev team do another print run I'll maybe grab a copy.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
That intro looks really good, definitely going to preorder MVS when they offer again.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
The more I play it the more I love it! They've done a remarkable job! There are a couple of minor bugs people have been spotting, but they do seem quite minor.

Regards comparing it to Metal Slug, I think that's quite hard to do. I would personally say I easily enjoy it as much as Metal Slug 4 and 5 (and to a degree as much as I enjoy MS1 and MS3) - but I love those games! But there are elements to this that I prefer over any of the metal slugs, like locking the fire direction, standing on player 2's head (to reach higher places), the combo system, some of the weapons, the intro and extro, customization of the character colours, EEPROM high score saving, and in many ways graphics sound and music are better in some places (not all) than some of the MS games. It's not perfect and it was never going to be, but it's really rather good and imo deserves a good 9/10 had it been reviewed back in the day.

Strangely I even like the masks and chicks - not something I ever thought I would be saying lol. Whoever came up with those ideas is great lol! Pretty sure some of the guys on here might have suggested the masks at least?

Ukyo

20 Year Member
What are you talking about credit feeding a score? If you continue in a Slug game it adds 1 point to your score, so if you use 5 credits your score will end in a 5, it's so people can't cheat and say they got a high score on one credit.

a5e6d0238969f3027b8e8ff6f7234e75.jpg

Yeah, but the score table still gets filled with trash...

one other nice score feature in KB is if you do decide to credit up and continue, it will keep your first credit score in memory and recall it at the end of the run (if it hasn't been topped)

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
I just got an email notification from NG Dev Team that they have an update for Kraut Buster that resolves the crash after name entry, along with fixing a timer glitch and rebalancing HP on some of the bigger bosses.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
I just got an email notification from NG Dev Team that they have an update for Kraut Buster that resolves the crash after name entry, along with fixing a timer glitch and rebalancing HP on some of the bigger bosses.

Thanks for the update =D Did anyone else see a "pink / purple hit box" appear just briefly at any point whilst playing? I only saw it once, just as I did a drop down / left slide type move at the start of level 1. Since then I haven't seen it again.

sylphia

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Thanks for the update =D Did anyone else see a "pink / purple hit box" appear just briefly at any point whilst playing? I only saw it once, just as I did a drop down / left slide type move at the start of level 1. Since then I haven't seen it again.
yes I also noticed that purple box at some points.

View attachment 53160

Anyone get this while playing and if so, why??? I was on level 4-2 when this happened. I am running it off an original Neo Candy 29 with a 4 slot board. Only have KB in slot 1 and all other slots empty. I just turned off the cab. Any help would be appreciated!

This might help. I've had MCU errors with NGDEV games before... The CARTS and the custom HW inside them seem to be super sensitive to the HW they are running on. The first time I encountered this it turned out I had a bad PSU in My Naomi cab (bad Caps), replaced them and it was fine (clue was other games started going odd but it was the NGDev games that crashed a little first)... Second time, a different cab, i would get lockups but less frequently (also STV games locked up). Ended up being the voltage on my blast City as it was oputputting >10% above 5V specification at the harness. Essentially, when playting Razion the game would randomly lock up and throw a (slightly different) MCU error regardless of the board played on.

I must stress that this was my experiance and my issue. Since fixing the voltage and the PSU, the gamesI have, have been ROCK SOLID. I'm still using the same MVS board and same cart (Razion) and it hasn't crashed since (50-60 plays without issue).

I did also hear that NG:DEV games are not super fans of multi slot MVS boards... but i don't know WHY here or remember wher ei heard this so YMMV!

Also, anyone know HOW updates are distributed for NGDEV games? Can't find any history on the site but know other titles were updated... somehow...

Last edited: