Best Arcade ports of the Ghosts n' Goblins / Ghouls and Ghosts series?

jepjepjep

King's Dry Cleaner
The 360 got a good port of Ghosts n Goblins in the Capcom Arcade Cabinet, done by M2.

kyosuke75

Mr. Big's Thug
Supergrafx version is 8 megabit which is slightly bigger than the genesis/MD conversion at 5 megabit... but the sound on supergrapfx is just bad... compared to the genny. But the supergrafx has more animations and a lot more background detail that is missing in the genny version. But yes, x68k version is hands down probably the best conversion... the midi music is phenomenal.

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
I'm looking at prices of the Sharp computer aaaand I'm guessing I'm sticking with the Saturn version.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Ghouls n ghosts best port is most likely the X68000 version. But the MD version is spot on gameplay wise. You can practice on the MD version and play just the same on the PCB. Haven't spent any time on the supergrafx version but I don't like the way it sounds or looks.

I agree the genesis version is the best one to practice on as you get infinite continues

I'm a big fan of the Supergrafx version. I personally like it better than the Genesis version.

Agree 100%

If I'm remembering right the biggest problem with the SuperGrafx version is that it limits you to 5 continues total. Which makes it a bit of a nightmare to play through the whole game.

Actually its 3 credits (i own the game) and you use 1 when you start the game so you only get 2 continues

Supergrafx version is 8 megabit which is slightly bigger than the genesis/MD conversion at 5 megabit... but the sound on supergrapfx is just bad... compared to the genny. But the supergrafx has more animations and a lot more background detail that is missing in the genny version. But yes, x68k version is hands down probably the best conversion... the midi music is phenomenal.

I have to respectfully disagree on the sound of genny being better than the supergrafx version. The sound on the supergrafx is way closer to the arcade then the genny, they changed a lot of the sound effects on the genesis version compared to what they sounded like in the arcade.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Actually its 3 credits (i own the game) and you use 1 when you start the game so you only get 2 continues

You can always go into the hidden menu & change lives, difficulty & points for extra lives

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
You can always go into the hidden menu & change lives, difficulty & points for extra lives

I actually had no idea there was a hidden menu lol, just looked it up pretty cool. Will have to try out the higher difficulties as ive already beaten the game on the default settings.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
also it looks like if you use the following code on the one player only push run button screen you can give yourself yourself extra credits. up up down down left right left right 1 2. For a max of 9 credits.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
No mention of Super Ghoul's & Ghosts on the SNES? Is there something wrong with it that I'm not aware of? I do also like the one in Capcom Arcade Cabinet...

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
I'm currently playing the series on the Saturn now and imho it plays quite well so far (I think I reached Level 4 in GhoulsnGhosts)

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
No mention of Super Ghoul's & Ghosts on the SNES? Is there something wrong with it that I'm not aware of? I do also like the one in Capcom Arcade Cabinet...

super ghouls and ghosts is not even close to the same game

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
also it looks like if you use the following code on the one player only push run button screen you can give yourself yourself extra credits. up up down down left right left right 1 2. For a max of 9 credits.

Did not know this, always thought it was weird to have that screen.

SMMM

Rugal's Thug

That's because Super Ghouls'n Ghosts is a sequel to Ghouls'n Ghosts - third in the series, I think.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
If I'm remembering right the biggest problem with the SuperGrafx version is that it limits you to 5 continues total. Which makes it a bit of a nightmare to play through the whole game.

There's a couple codes that will let you bump up your lives/continues.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
super ghouls and ghosts is not even close to the same game

That's because Super Ghouls'n Ghosts is a sequel to Ghouls'n Ghosts - third in the series, I think.

My bad, I completely misunderstood the the topic actually. I was just rattling off my favorite entries in the series. As a side note I discovered that Ghouls and Ghosts is on far more consoles than I even knew about!