PS3 Homebrew and Bluray Drive issues

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
This is probably not the best place the ask this kind of thing but it doesn't hurt to ask.

First I have an old BC CECH-A01.

I was gonna load up some games on it, but then when it asked me to update the firmware I remembered the homebrew scene.

It's 4.30

Is that hackable?

Edit: Also, apparently both have issues with their respective Bluray Drives. The BC unit accepts discs, tries to load it but eventually gives up after a while then freezes.

The other one is weird. The blue LED isn't lit and when I try to insert a disc, it just goes in halfway and just spins in place without fully entering.

Last edited:

EllertMichael

Mickey's Coach
I believe 3.55 is the firmware you want.
There could be a way to downgrade, but I'm not certain.

simon66

n00b
This is probably not the best place the ask this kind of thing but it doesn't hurt to ask.

First I have an old BC CECH-A01.

I was gonna load up some games on it, but then when it asked me to update the firmware I remembered the homebrew scene.

It's 4.30

Is that hackable?

Edit: Also, apparently both have issues with their respective Bluray Drives. The BC unit accepts discs, tries to load it but eventually gives up after a while then freezes.

The other one is weird. The blue LED isn't lit and when I try to insert a disc, it just goes in halfway and just spins in place without fully entering.

Yea, 3.55 is the firmware you want. The fact that you got a NAND PS3 makes it much harder to get it downgraded (No one does it and the people who does it, either over charges or have no clue what they're doing)
I've done over 50+ NAND downgrade (I got pics if you want).

As for the blueray problem, it could be with the sensor not working properly (There's a infrared sensor that you might need to take care of). If you plan on installing CFW I recommend buying a BluRay drive and marrying it to your motherboard.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I was thinking about installing CFW if its not too much trouble, but if I have to do a whole lot of shit to get it off the ground then its not really worth it for me.

OK so you say the sensor bar may not be working. I take it you are referring to unit that wont accept discs?

Do you happen to know what it looks like and what taking care of it means?

Appreciate it

simon66

n00b
I was thinking about installing CFW if its not too much trouble, but if I have to do a whole lot of shit to get it off the ground then its not really worth it for me.

OK so you say the sensor bar may not be working. I take it you are referring to unit that wont accept discs?

Do you happen to know what it looks like and what taking care of it means?

Appreciate it

Well if you got the tools then it shouldn't be that hard to install CFW (Visit ps3hax and theres a ton to users is LA who can install CFW for you).
About the disk drive, there is a few helpul videos on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a0YmGIkGYA

You might try to re-align the drive first and then give it a shot (This fixes most of drive issues)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEN1kk31-zs

If you notice anything broken, that could be why your drive doesn't work.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I definitely have the tools but my patience might be another story. Fuck ill look into it and hopefully its nothing too annoying. Last time I took apart a bd drive, there was a whole bunch of little screws and tiny wires and connections. Don't want that again. Too much tiny shit to keep track of

Thanks brother

simon66

n00b
I definitely have the tools but my patience might be another story. Fuck ill look into it and hopefully its nothing too annoying. Last time I took apart a bd drive, there was a whole bunch of little screws and tiny wires and connections. Don't want that again. Too much tiny shit to keep track of

Thanks brother

Yea, I had to take a few of them apart. Now that you told me you did it before, it could be that the BD-Drive needs to be re-aligned. Try opening the DB-Drive and load a game in with the PS3 on (Power it on after you open the DB-Drive of course :P)
If it works, then it could be that it needs to be re-aligned.
PM me if you have any issues.