Best Neo Geo Pocket games

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Hi guys, which games do you think are the cream of the crop and which versions Japanese, pal or US.
Does the monochrome console worth having and is there any chance some games to look more attractive in monochrome mode?

Last edited:

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
Dunno bout the monochrome part of your question, as I've only used colour. As for games you really should have?

Metal Slug 2
Match of the Millennium
Samurai Shodown! 2
King of Fighters R-2
Sonic The Hedgehog Pocket Adventure

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Dunno bout the monochrome part of your question, as I've only used colour. As for games you really should have?

Metal Slug 2
Match of the Millennium
Samurai Shodown! 2
King of Fighters R-2
Sonic The Hedgehog Pocket Adventure
Waiting in mail
Match of the Millennium
SamSho 2
Metal Slug 2nd and the Last Blade.
Also waiting a Pocket monochrome bought by mistake and thought to keep it. After that ordered a color console because Match of the Millennium and Last Blade is said to not be compatible with the black and white console.
Thinking what titles should be next.

smsmonkey

n00b
Waiting in mail
Match of the Millennium
SamSho 2
Metal Slug 2nd and the Last Blade.
Also waiting a Pocket monochrome bought by mistake and thought to keep it. After that ordered a color console because Match of the Millennium and Last Blade is said to not be compatible with the black and white console.
Thinking what titles should be next.

I'm not sure if the monochrome NGP offers any benefit in keeping once you get a NGPC, since the color one will play all of the games.

It looks like you have a good collection of fighters. I'd add King of Fighters R-2 since it is still relatively common. I'd balance it out with some of the sports titles like Neo Geo Cup '98 and Big Tournament Golf and you can't go wrong with the puzzle games. Puzzle Link 1/2, Bust a Move, Puyo Pop ...

fluxcore

Another Striker
Card Fighters Clash is the usually cited 'killer app' for the system. That and Match of the Millennium.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yuri in Gals Fighter will fuck you up, and anyone in MotM.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
In order of my favorites:

Card Fighters Clash
Match of the Millennium
Neo Turf Masters
Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure
Metal Slugs
Dark Arms
Gals Fighters
King of Fighters R-2
Biomotor Unitron
Rockman Battle & Fighters (JP-only)
Magical Drop Pocket
Last Blade: Beyond the Destiny
Bust-A-Move Pocket
Samurai Shodown! 2
Pac-Man
Cool Boarders Pocket (PAL or JP)
Crush Roller
Fatal Fury: First Contact
Baseball Stars Color
Gambling games

I still need to get a hold of Cotton, Evolution, and Faselei (and possibly Pocket Tennis Color and Dive Alert). Truth be told, I absolutely love the top 15 or so games on this list. It's hard to rank/choose between them.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Only own 2 so far - but tbh MOTM is the best fighter I ever played on any handheld.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
i could not give 2 shits about tennis or golf in real life,

yet pocket tennis and turf masters ngpc are both on my list of favorite games (any system and all time)

I loved puyo pop as well, but ended up spending more time with the gba version. ngpc one is still very solid tho.

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Last blade
Fatal fury: first contact
Kof R-2
Card fighters clash
SNK vs capcom
Metal slug 1st mission
Metal slug 2nd mission

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Card Fighter Clash 2 (ENG) (Can be made if you buy a blank cart from Flavor and use the Neo Link Masta)
Picture Puzzle
MOTM
Biomotor Unitron

poodude

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Dark arms is a pretty awesome game, but very short. Well worth a play through. Luckily you can usually get bundles of these games super cheap on Amazon.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Idk why, but I got the NGPC itch lately and this thread doesn't help me financially.

Cyclops

Mr. Big's Thug
I've been playing the Card Fighter's Clash. Still one of my favorites. Are the Dive Alert games any good? Doesn't look like my cup of tea but I don't want to sleep on any Sacnoth games since I do love me some Shadow Hearts.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
For me, the games that get the most play are the Metal Slugs and Neo Cup 98.

Neo Cup 98 is cool because you can select the formation, switch out players, and equip items to players to change their stats.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
I think monochrome console has the coolest black and white graphics ever made.