What was your favorite movie as a kid that wasn't a kid's movie?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I also liked The Black Hole from Disney. Very odd and dark, but sucks now.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I would argue that the first two Star Wars movies were not meant as kids films, but films that appealed to a wide audience. There are certain concepts in those films that aren't really going to be understood by kids.
I think that argument could be made after the first one. Maybe after the second one. But not after Return of the Jedi. When that movie came out, everything snapped into focus: "Ohhhhhh, these are kids' movies..."

potetoboy

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Big Trouble In Little China
the Naked Gun movies
Beetlejuice (does that even count as non-kid's movie?)

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Besides the ones already mentioned, I watched Spaceballs a lot.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I think that argument could be made after the first one. Maybe after the second one. But not after Return of the Jedi. When that movie came out, everything snapped into focus: "Ohhhhhh, these are kids' movies..."

Ewoks man.

SSS

neo retired
I don't remember it being a favorite, but my folks had recorded Lynch's Dune on betamax. I remember it being pretty trippy even though I had absolutely no idea what was going on.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Ewoks man.
Yeah, the Ewoks, clearly... But even more than that is the Jabba sequence which some people consider the highlight of the movie. The way C-3PO delivers all the exposition to let the little kiddies know Han Solo is all right in the carbonite and not dead is so blatant and kind of eye-rolling. Actually, he did the same thing in Empire right after Han got frozen. It's okay, kids, stop crying -- Han Solo is perfectly safe and absolutely not dead.

And in interviews, Lucas has said he consulted a childrens' psychologist because he was worried about the effect announcing Vader was Luke's father might have on kids.

Kids' movies.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I don't remember it being a favorite, but my folks had recorded Lynch's Dune on betamax. I remember it being pretty trippy even though I had absolutely no idea what was going on.

Same here man, same here. I loved Dune because of the special effects, but I didn't have a clue on what was going on until I read the book, which was when I was a teenager. I still don't understand why they had to make the weirding modules as an actual weapon in the movie instead of just being trained in the bene gesserit weirding way. Otherwise the movie is still enjoyable to me. I guess because it helped me visualize concepts from the book.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
No way Black Hole is still awesome!

View attachment 12121
One of my favorites as a kid to very dark for a disney flick.I even have the sound track as well one of john berry best ost.There's been talk of a remake coming that's if it ever happens.

Beside what others mention the same for these movies.

Aliens
BT In Little China
Robocop
The Last Star Fighter
Commando
Pray for Death

Last edited:

PopeCuervoLime

Avid Neo-Expert
15 Year Member
Initially wrote about the worst movie I saw as a kid. And now I edit.

Favorite...Aliens. Scared the living shit out of me when I was a kid, but once I saw it a couple times I really could appreciate it how well it balanced action, story, and horror. It still stands the test of time and, for me, the Aliens franchise ENDS with this movie.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Most have already been mentioned. Didn't see these though.

The Abyss
Leviathan
Nightmare on Elm St. 3
Predator 2
Last of the Mohicans
Creepshow
New Jack City
Tombstone
Rollerball
Robocop 2
Glory
Hellraiser 2
Unforgiven

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Heavy Metal
Conan the Barbarian
Mad Max
The Road Warrior
Missing in Action
Missing in Action 2
Alien
Aliens

Was able to see all of these in the theater because I had an older sister and an older cousin that wanted to see these movies as well and they were both friends with the girl that sold the tickets at the movie theater so we were always good to get in.

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
Mostly everything in this thread (dad's a film junkie, so I grew up around movies), and I'll add Revenge of the Nerds.

Best use of "We Are the Champions".

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member

Well that is exactly what I said...the first two.

RoTJ is much more blatant in its kid friendly nature and had less value to an older audience. The special edition of RoTJ made that even more apparent with that god awful musical number they added in Jabba's palace.

When I first saw the original films RoTJ was my favorite because it had the most 'stuff' going on it. That last hour or so is visual paradise for someone under ten as scenes are changing constantly and explosions are abound. The older I got the more I disliked RotJ and the more I began to appreciate everything about Empire and all the things it did right by being more minimal, and also the fact that the dialogue was not so god awful.

I could go on, but I'll save the word vomit for another thread.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I loved Empire due to its darkness and ending on a shit note. Unlike so many movies made.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I also liked The Black Hole from Disney. Very odd and dark, but sucks now.

Black Hole is still a cool flick. Worth it for that ending alone, at least.

Anyways, did anyone else watch Toxic Avenger under the age of 10? Funny how ultraviolent movies like that, Robocop and Rambo got their own cartoon shows. Maybe that's why my mom let me watch them, because of the merchandising.

I don't think violent movies had an adverse effect on me...

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I don't think violent movies had an adverse effect on me...

They don't for most people but there's always one or two who are affected that ruin it. I've watched pretty much what I want since 7-8 and haven't raped or killed anyone...yet.