What was your favorite movie as a kid that wasn't a kid's movie?

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Too many.

Mostly horror films. I remember going to the local 'VHS' store and perusing the horror section for many, many hours. Looking at the gory front and back covers, and wondering whether I could handle it or not.

I used to get my mother to write me a note with her phone number on it letting me hire certain 'R' rated films. The guy serving would call up my mum and ask her if it was OK if I hired A Nightmare on Elm Street, Dawn of the Mummy, Maniac and The Evil Dead.

It got to the point where I didn't need a note and would just walk in there and he'd let me hire what I wanted (I never tried a tits and arse softie, though). This was from the age of about 12 to 15 years old.

The one film that stuck with me and I loved as a kid growing up was Dirty Harry.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Mad Max
Road Warrior
Rambo I & II
Conan
Terminator I & II
Die Hard
James Bond films (Roger Moore and older)
Damnation Alley
Omega Man
Christine
The Wraith

ColdWolf35

King's Dry Cleaner
Terminator 2 was a movie that I watched as a kid. Even as a 7-8 year old, I knew that movie was awesome!

I also loved watching the Godzilla movies as a kid too. Also some anime movies, like Armitage 3 and I think a KOF movie that used to play on the Sci-Fi channel.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
How is Star Wars not a kids' movie?

Anyhow, when I was 9 or so, I was obsessed with the James Bond movies.

I would argue that the first two Star Wars movies were not meant as kids films, but films that appealed to a wide audience. There are certain concepts in those films that aren't really going to be understood by kids.

I never saw Terminator 1 is it worth watching ? T3 was pretty meh.
umm
yea
Some of the effects are a tad dated, but the film is still unbelievably good. Totally different vibe, it's a suspense horror flick with sci-fi elements rather than the more action oriented affairs that were T2 and T3. T2 was a great balance of the two elements. T3 wasn't bad, but they forgot what made the first two films great and it ended up being just an action movie with some robots.

Terminators (and that whole concept) I think are infinitely more scary than zombies.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Yes, Clash of the Titans is another big one for me too.

Also, T1 >>>>>> T2

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
so of you guys are listing movies that weren't really available to people unless you had rich parents who could shell out for vcr tapes. 2001? Please. Silent Running?

You just end up sounding like like moron trying to sound really smart.

When I was a kid, I loved this one movie called the Sword and the Sorcerer. My dad taped it off HBO, but didn't get the entire thing. So I basically only got to see up to the crucifixion, and that was the end of it for me. A few years ago I saw the entire thing. It's a fun time.

I loved Conan the Barbarian and the Destroyer. I don't know which I preferred, but I guess the one with James Earl Jones was the clear superior flick. Both were a lot of fun. Flash Gordon was another movie that I got to see a lot. It showed on UPN a lot, along with Clash of the Titans.

I love Conan. Both are good but I like Barbarian a little more. The Sword and the Sorcerer. Was that not the movie with the guy with the 3 bladed sword and could shoot the blades? If it's the same movie I'm thinking of it was rad as hell.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
so of you guys are listing movies that weren't really available to people unless you had rich parents who could shell out for vcr tapes. 2001? Please. Silent Running?

What? You're claiming that these videos weren't readily available? There's a local video store where I grew up that specialized in having rare videos that you couldn't find a Blockbuster. Art house movie rental type place.

Want proof?

http://www.casavideo.com/content/about

That rental place has been open since I was a little kid, early nineties.

Yeah, I totally made up that I used to watch those movies, just to impress and act all "intelligent".

Last edited:

Andy Is A Bastard

A Bastard, Andy Is,
Big Trouble in Little China

I swear that movie had it all, everything a child could love! It also gave me a lifelong love of Carpenter's flicks.

2D_mastur

10 Year Member
yep. Exactly.

Haha, yeah totally. Totally impossible to rent "Silent Running" in VHS format in the early nineties...

Not sure if trolling or if you're just being your normal "I know it all" self.

Either way I'm not lying and you can suck a dick, because I know you're full of shit when it comes to this instance.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Haha, yeah totally. Totally impossible to rent "Silent Running" in VHS format in the early nineties...

Not sure if trolling or if you're just being your normal "I know it all" self.

Either way I'm not lying and you can suck a dick, because I know you're full of shit when it comes to this instance.

Just calling you out for being a worthless phony. Carry on.

2D_mastur

10 Year Member
Just calling you out for being a worthless phony. Carry on.

Just calling you out for not knowing shit and this subject (other peoples life experiences) and or being a shitty troll.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Just calling you out for not knowing shit and this subject (other peoples live experiences) and or being a shitty troll.

you want to keep going? You keep trying to make this about me, but it's all about how you're just cruising to suck other members off here. So about sucking dicks, go get some. You deserve it.

2D_mastur

10 Year Member
you want to keep going? You keep trying to make this about me, but it's all about how you're just cruising to suck other members off here. So about sucking dicks, go get some. You deserve it.

Yeah, because I have SO many friends on this site. I know I'm disliked, I've pointed it out many times. I really don't have a problem with YOU, that's the thing.

Point here is, you're STILL full of shit and I know it... and it makes me smile.

PS: Thanks for the anti whacking-off advice, it's working thus far.

Last edited:

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
wow that looks like crap. why would you pick that over jedi and stuff? different generation I guess? you liked a clockwork orange as a kid? what would you say the max age for being a kid is?

Also Rain Man.

Edit:I mean I was big on reading Ray Bradbury. After I got through what I could get of his I even hit a few more scifi authors way back in 7th grade but the imagination you can put into a book just makes the movies like that seem like a weird choice. and 7th grade isn't even 'kid age' anymore in my book.

Last edited:

2D_mastur

10 Year Member
I took a field trip to Biosphere 2 as a kid, my dad, being a movie buff recommended that movie to me.

It has robots,explosions, spaceships, bio-domes and a hero who was an outsider, it's not that hard for a kid to like. It's almost Disney-like (many tender moments), if you don't count the murders.

As for a Clockwork Orange, my dad loved the movie and would watch it off and on. I finally sat and watched it with him and I initially just wanted to see the tits. ass and violence. No, I didn't get the movie, but you don't have to be all that old to like those crazy costumes, fight scenes and all that bush. It's because of A Clockwork Orange that I starting listening to classical music, so that's one good thing out of it.

Was my father a bad parent? Prolly.

Last edited:

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
My cousin had copies of Lionheart and Groundhog Day on VHS that I used to watch regularly, and my friend's dad (he was a refrigeration technician) used to rent every big new movie that came out and copied them between 2 VCRs. The guy had bookshelves of movies, so my I'd stay over at my friend's house most weekends and we'd watch ost of the movies others have mentioned and play lego. We once tried to recreate the street scene from Above the Law with legos :D

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I took a field trip to Biosphere 2 as a kid, my dad, being a movie buff recommended that movie to me.

It has robots,explosions, spaceships, bio-domes and a hero who was an outsider, it's not that hard for a kid to like. It's almost Disney-like (many tender moments), if you don't count the murders.

As for a Clockwork Orange, my dad loved the movie and would watch it off and on. I finally sat and watched it with him and I initially just wanted to see the tits. ass and violence. No, I didn't get the movie, but you don't have to be all that old to like those crazy costumes, fight scenes and all that bush. It's because of A Clockwork Orange that I starting listening to classical music, so that's one good thing out of it.

Was my father a bad parent? Prolly.
You're trying too hard. No one cares.

2D_mastur

10 Year Member
You're trying too hard. No one cares.

Karou asked, but as long as you read it, I suppose that's what counts. Right?

Shouldn't you be out living the NYC night life? Fucking successful women and what not?

PS: You're still full of shit. No matter how hard you try to mentally alter other peoples pasts.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Didn't read. Just figure you're still trying hard to be accepted.

2D_mastur

10 Year Member
I only care about being accepted by you.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
Big Trouble in Little China

I swear that movie had it all, everything a child could love! It also gave me a lifelong love of Carpenter's flicks.

Ah hell yeah, that scene where the dude inflates and pops, was crazy.

On the topic of VCRs, mine stopped working, it ate my T2 tape.

I guess ill check out T1.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
T1 as mentioned has some dated special effects but you will love it.

Not that I liked it, the movie Mandingo really opened my eyes to slavery.

Just reading about slavery in school never hit me like this film did.

Last edited:

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Ah hell yeah, that scene where the dude inflates and pops, was crazy.

On the topic of VCRs, mine stopped working, it ate my T2 tape.

I guess ill check out T1.
Its nice to see Arnold as the villain for once.