So there is some fuck stealing mail in my apartment building

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
Or find a hobo and make him stake out during the day, give him a 50, but rip the bill in half and tell him youll give him to other half when he gets the culprit.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Setting it up with your mailman or local post office such that you have to go there to pick up any packages seems the most logical course of action.

Even if you were to find the guy that stole your shit, what then? There's not much you could do other than beat him up. Your stuff was likely already sold on, so chances of recovery are minimal at best.

That said, staking it out all day will likely be your best chance to catch the thief without spending a lot of money to do so.

Hope it works out for you.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Setting it up with your mailman or local post office such that you have to go there to pick up any packages seems the most logical course of action.

Even if you were to find the guy that stole your shit, what then? There's not much you could do other than beat him up. Your stuff was likely already sold on, so chances of recovery are minimal at best.

That said, staking it out all day will likely be your best chance to catch the thief without spending a lot of money to do so.

Hope it works out for you.

Hopeful scenario would either get him arrested for theft and/or evicted.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Hopeful scenario would either get him arrested for theft and/or evicted.

That woukd be optimal, but seems rather unlikely you'll be able to prove it was them other than video proof. When are Google glasses being released again? ;)

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
This has nothing to do with the thread, but was a "recommended video" from the singing telegram.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
It amazes me that more mail isn't stolen in the US. Everyone has mailboxes right at the end of their drives. You could just drive along 5 minutes after the mailman and steal everyone's shit. This system would never work in the UK. Aside from paying for signature confirmation and insurance, get a PO Box or have the PO hold your mail and go pick it up.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
It amazes me that more mail isn't stolen in the US. Everyone has mailboxes right at the end of their drives. You could just drive along 5 minutes after the mailman and steal everyone's shit. This system would never work in the UK. Aside from paying for signature confirmation and insurance, get a PO Box or have the PO hold your mail and go pick it up.

Most people are decent human beings.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
It's someone in your building. I'd bet on it... It depends on how bad you want to find this person, but there are key finders that work in limited ranges. One of these would be enough to walk the apartment complex and see if you can find it once the box vanishes. Key Finders.

Some under $20 as well... Plus then, if you can recover it you won't lose your keys again... ;)

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
See if you can ask for a delivery method that requires your signature.

mr aize

Dodgeball Yakuza
Going back to the iphone suggestion earlier, I saw a news story, which I think was about the iphone (although it could have been android, can't remember) but anyway, there's a security app you can put on your phone which when someone tries to turn it on, it takes a photo of them, uploads it to a website along with their gps location. Apparently it works pretty well for catching thieves. That key finder idea sounds cheaper, although this way, there's definite evidence of theft. Maybe tell the police what you are going to do in advance and get their advice as to what evidence would be required etc.

Last edited:

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
I live at an apt. complex where this seems to happen on a regular basis. So, whenever I do business with someone here, I tell them I need a tracking number. That way, I can be here when the package arrives. Mail comes anywhere from 11am-1pm...and, I work 3rd shift so, it's not a big deal.

If you're not home when the mail comes, having it shipped somewhere safe (like your parent's house, as you suggested) might be a good idea, too. This is actually what I was doing until VT ruined that...

Incidentally, my brother had several items removed from our doorstep only to be ignored by whoever took them. They were NES games, BTW. I guess CIB copies of Star Tropics 1 and 2 don't buy much crack/heroine these days.

Jon

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I have all of my mail sent to my work address. There's always someone there. Get with the times.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
Srsly, a PO Box is probably your best bet, if you order something from somewhere and they just HAVE to ship it UPS or FedEx, try to plan it for a day off when you can be there to receive it. If they left it by your door instead of the lobby, I'd suggest letting it sit there and keep your ear to the door and when you hear someone pick it up you could bumrush 'em with a hobo shiv, or maybe a crossbow if you want to get fancy.

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
I have all of my mail sent to my work address. There's always someone there. Get with the times.

Nobody is having their Amazon "books" (fleshlight) or $60 order of fleshlight demon-pussy and butthole inserts delivered to work - those bitches love snooping through parcels.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I had the same problem once. Started having them delivered to my place of work. Problems disappeared.

dgame

Cheng's Errand Boy
10 Year Member
Some idiots were stealing packages in the neighborhood. They would follow the UPS/FedEx trucks and the postman and then steal any packages they left. The postman told me the police caught them in the neighborhood by following the trail of empty boxes they were throwing out of their vehicle. :scratch:

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
I like the key finder idea. And after you figure out who it is call the cops.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I've been using a mail drop for over 15 years. Yeah I have to drive an hour once a week to get the mail, but that is still better than people stealing things. Plus a nice drive through the country is never a bad idea. The only difficult thing would be to get the address confirmed by Paypal. I didn't have that problem but it might have been because I was using it back when they were just x.com.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Nobody is having their Amazon "books" (fleshlight) or $60 order of fleshlight demon-pussy and butthole inserts delivered to work - those bitches love snooping through parcels.

I was going to say the same damn thing.

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
Remember the novelty can of peanuts full of spring-loaded snakes? This is what you need to do, but with your shit. Get one of those containers and relabel it like it's a kitchy Rolex or Tiffany promo item - something some thieving asshole couldn't resist opening. Push those snakes down with a dowel and load it with turd - make sure it's not too runny - you don't want it to seep gravy.

snakeslol.jpg