MV1C replacement boards

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
Hi. I've bought about 60 MV1C to repair, a good amount of them with just corroded PCB but working chips, so I'm thinking to build a brand new perfect clone PCB to move all the chips and slot to it and get a new MV1C. It would also work for making MV1Cs from dedicated jamma boards (inexpensive).

I'd like to know if there's some kind of interest on the community. Yes, I know, a lot of soldering involved but not too much with a decent IR station. I have no idea about the price at this moment, but it should be that it worth the effort meanwhile the original 1C is bought at ridiculous price.

Let me know your thoughts.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Neat idea.

Is it a exact clone of the MV1C including all the original components in the original spots?

I ask because it seems to me, from a consolized MVS standpoint, you could make the board smaller/more compact leaving certains parts off.

I.E. no speaker amplifier, no jamma edge and etc.

edit: Also fit it with a standard bios socket as well.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I think it's a waste of time. I think it would be better to design a whole new board with a CPLD like we discussed before. Then just keep the parts to repair other MV1Cs. There's going to be a lot of MV1Cs that need repair.

You essentially want one with a jamma edge for playing in a cab, basically an MV1C with RGB, power and controller breakout would be ideal and also one that natively supports the memcard and not a VMC.

With the CPLDs doing all the work, you could essentially make it a bit bigger than the size of a riser card.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?241245-Gauging-Interest-MV1C

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Sounds to me like all d needs is a blank repro board to stuff with chips and he can fix 60 MV1Cs.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Just clone the board--Transfer the chips--And sell some boards!

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
I think it's a waste of time. I think it would be better to design a whole new board with a CPLD like we discussed before. Then just keep the parts to repair other MV1Cs. There's going to be a lot of MV1Cs that need repair.

Seconded. It's a lot of work to transplant those find pitch ASICs onto a new board that you will also have to layout. After all that's said and done, your costs and the selling price will even rival the market price of 1Cs today. Maybe even higher.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer

You essentially want one with a jamma edge for playing in a cab, basically an MV1C with RGB, power and controller breakout would be ideal and also one that natively supports the memcard and not a VMC.

With the CPLDs doing all the work, you could essentially make it a bit bigger than the size of a riser card.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?241245-Gauging-Interest-MV1C

If costs are about the same: I think an empty repro pcb can be made quicker and faster than an empty re-designed pcb board.

And both boards would still be suitable for consolizing.

Last edited:

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
If costs are about the same: I think an empty repro pcb can be made quicker and faster than an empty re-designed pcb board.

And both boards would still be suitable for consolizing.

Pumping out pcbs is easy. Finding the parts to populate them is a different story.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
d's got the working chips for the board(s).

That's good and all until you realize what a pain in the ass transplanting fine pitch surface chips is. Not even I have reached that point where transplant is a viable and more cost effective solution.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Chipqwik for removal..

We must be talking about a different Drakon.

He gets his chip removal supplies from Home Depot:

HG%20Paint%20Strip.jpg

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member

HG%20Paint%20Strip.jpg

My mistake. The original board doesn't need to remain intact and melted slot connectors, no problem. Carry on...

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
Seconded. It's a lot of work to transplant those find pitch ASICs onto a new board that you will also have to layout. After all that's said and done, your costs and the selling price will even rival the market price of 1Cs today. Maybe even higher.

With a good infrared station, the trasplant should be matter of 20-30 minutes. That time is calculated from what is spent making Xbox and PS3 reballing which is much harder (ROHS is a PITA).

I'm unsure about making it a perfect repro (would logos be a problem?), a semi-perfect repro with bios socket, or implement memory card reader where the audio amp is.
The first idea was to have a replacement for corroded PCBs which seems to be a common problem, not a whole new neogeo CPLD based.

I would start from a scanned original layout, adding the inner layers (gnd and vcc). Not too much work if I find a script to OCR an image to Eagle.

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior

HG%20Paint%20Strip.jpg
Sorry I don't have anything to contribute to this thread but this made me lol.

Carry on :P

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
With a good infrared station, the trasplant should be matter of 20-30 minutes. That time is calculated from what is spent making Xbox and PS3 reballing which is much harder (ROHS is a PITA).

I'm unsure about making it a perfect repro (would logos be a problem?), a semi-perfect repro with bios socket, or implement memory card reader where the audio amp is.
The first idea was to have a replacement for corroded PCBs which seems to be a common problem, not a whole new neogeo CPLD based.

I would start from a scanned original layout, adding the inner layers (gnd and vcc). Not too much work if I find a script to OCR an image to Eagle.

Judging from the board size as well as the layout needed, I would assume the cost of the bare mobo would be quite high.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Sounds like an interesting project but I think it's a waste of time - unless you really want the challenge of re-creating an MVS board?

TNK

A Fake account for Cross AKA Connor Evans, the guy
I would be interested just because I am trying to build my own smal CMVS