Swearing in the intro of KOF 98?

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
So I just recieved an MVS cart from a kind gent from this site and when I booted it up to test it out I was shocked with hearing "Play that shit like you got your motherfucking" haha. Now I used to play this game alot as a kid at Funland (Wisconsin arcade) and I damn sure don't remember that part of the intro and I'm pretty sure I would of noticed that. Anyone got any info on this? is it a quote from a movie? Is it because my MVS board has the Japanese bios?

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
Either you're hearing things, or you got the most screwed up pirate cart ever.

The use of the word "fucked" in the arrange version of SFIII: Third Strike's Bonus Stage 2 theme is all too real, though.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
No swearing in the game. Maybe you got a hacked boot.

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
Could you perhaps record it so we can confirm if the sound is different?

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
video would be nice. I'm interested in how it sounds.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
The board is legit SNK doesn't look strange at all but I'm not hearing things I'm clearly hearing "Play that shit like you got your motherfucking" haha! I must investigate more and if I can I'll upload a video

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
Video up, might have to put on headphones to hear it, but I'm clearly hearing shit and fuck.

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
Nah, it's not a hacked boot.

I can see how you might think you heard shit and fuck in there, but it's just a typical unintelligible vocal sample.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
well how come all other videos on youtube of the intro doesn't have that voice sample. But I'm definitely hearing "Play that shit something something motherfucking" is this an early version of the game that was quickly censored?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
That's strange, I don't hear any voice at all there with this "censored M1" ROM. I'll try my AES copy and other ROM dumps.

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
I could have sworn the sample was normally in the intro, but you're right. That's awfully strange. I can't make anything intelligible out of it, though.

If the sample was in an early rom version and later censored, I think it would be documented by now. Or maybe not?

EDIT: Never mind, I fired it up in MAME (kof98.zip, USA BIOS) and the sample is there. I can now hear that it's clearly saying "Play that shit like you just got your butt fucked." It was definitely censored, because it's not present in kof98h.zip.

Mystery solved! Apologies for doubting you.

Last edited:

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
If the boards are good, it's definitely not a boot or hacked. We've determined that the sample was added by SNK and censored in a later ROM revision, probably after some arcade operator noticed it and complained.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
just looked through my 5GB file from mvs-scans.com and it looks the part of a real cart. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say early release based on the date on the PCB. Its interesting the guy states at the very top of the phots "replacement boards" I'm wondering why the boards are two different shades of green

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
it says replacement boards because the guy I was buying from noticed sound issues in the cart he was going to sell me so I swapped out the pcb from another cart and took pics and asked me if it was ok to swap the boards and I said ok. Glad I did haha

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
KOF 98 in the 100-in-1 multicart doesn't have that at the intro.

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
man thats so random, why the hell would they include that. Was it a programmer trying to sneak it in as a joke?
Most likely the music guy was a fan of Fun-Da-Mental (an anti-racist hip-hop/techno group who originally used the sample) and didn't know what it meant. It was probably a similar thing with the KOF 98 intro.

Last edited: