Keiji Inafune's spiritual sucessor to Megaman Kickstarter Launched

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Not only are Megaman's fans who have reached adulthood quite prone to getting carried away like kids in 5th grade- They have repeatedly exhibited blatant signs of getting WAY too emotionally invested in said franchise's latest developments. A staggering number of these adults seem to lack the awareness of the cold, hard truth that the game is first and foremost a disposable entertainment product designed to earn maximum returns on the development costs.

Capcom of Japan as a corporation simply doesn't give a shit whatever the international fanbase may currently be thinking, debating, feeling, obsessing, or reeling over. Plenty of gamers fixated on Megaman are simply delusional, or just seem very dense.

Perhaps it's just my jaded slant on modern gaming in full effect, but unfortunately I couldn't care less about this glorified from the get-go I.P. substitute and its mostly half-baked conceptual design. Even the name kind of stinks, clearly aping Tetsuwan Atom(Mighty Atom) AKA Astro Boy.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feel that way about the whole Mega Man drama and Capcom hate since the cancellation of MML3 (which looked uninteresting to me, and which I think got a better game from its scraps that needs more attention for localization: EX Troopers). Capcom has stated several times that they are not abandoning MM, so spare us all the BS.

With that said, I'm still hoping for the Mighty No. 9 to turn out good. I don't care if it feels unoriginal, as long as it captures the same feel of Mega Man.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Not only are Megaman's fans who have reached adulthood quite prone to getting carried away like kids in 5th grade- They have repeatedly exhibited blatant signs of getting WAY too emotionally invested in said franchise's latest developments. A staggering number of these adults seem to lack the awareness of the cold, hard truth that the game is first and foremost a disposable entertainment product designed to earn maximum returns on the development costs.

Capcom of Japan as a corporation simply doesn't give a shit whatever the international fanbase may currently be thinking, debating, feeling, obsessing, or reeling over. Plenty of gamers fixated on Megaman are simply delusional, or just seem very dense.

Perhaps it's just my jaded slant on modern gaming in full effect, but unfortunately I couldn't care less about this glorified from the get-go I.P. substitute and its mostly half-baked conceptual design. Even the name kind of stinks, clearly aping Tetsuwan Atom(Mighty Atom) AKA Astro Boy.

I personally want the project to succeed as well, but what you've expressed is another side of the coin that, in all honesty, doesn't get talked about enough. I have beef with Capcom, but in many ways, I don't let it make me go apeshit because, like the rest of us, we have shit to do. Some Capcom fans take it a bit TOO personally and make a career out of it by raging and railing on YouTube without stepping back and looking at the big picture: Capcom kinda doesn't owe you anything and Capcom can't do crap with Megaman because Inafune is GONE (even if they say MM I.P.s are still in the works). Nuff said, but you know how some fans of the franchise are (whine whine whine).

I've already backed this project and hopefully, it'll reach its stretch goals in the next few days. Fingers crossed!!

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Capcom can't do crap with Megaman because Inafune is GONE

Yeah, they said the same after Street Fighter II: Turbo was released when a big part of the team migrated to SNK. Capcom found a way. It's not rocket science, the foundation is there. If and when this game comes out and if it's even marginally successful, watch for Capcom to bring back MegaMan to cash in on a revival.

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
1.35 million, Linux and Mac stretch goal met!

Next up is 1.5 million for New Game Plus and Turbo modes

famicommander

15 Year Member
Sweet, Now we'll have a console release :D
The 1.5 million was for the New Game Plus and Turbo mode.

1.75 is a making of documentary, 2.25 mil is for the console versions.

currently 1.65 million with 26 days left

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I'm really looking forward to that documentary stretch goal. I watched the 5-part one on Double Fine Adventure, and the whole thing was very interesting.

The video of the opening theme on piano really got me excited for the OST as well. This should be a fun process!

Naika

Street Hoop Star
I'm really looking forward to that documentary stretch goal. I watched the 5-part one on Double Fine Adventure, and the whole thing was very interesting.

The video of the opening theme on piano really got me excited for the OST as well. This should be a fun process!

Just to throw this out there, but how many parts would you think the Mighty No.9 documentary will consist of? I'm under the assumption it will be handled by the same group that did the promo video.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Just to throw this out there, but how many parts would you think the Mighty No.9 documentary will consist of? I'm under the assumption it will be handled by the same group that did the promo video.

It was written in the description of the stretch goal that it would be a 3-part documentary done by 2 Player productions (the guys who did the promo)

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
They just hit 1.75 mill so the documentary is going to happen. 25 days to hit the 2.2 for the console release which I don't doubt will happen. I kinda feel bad for the Wayforward guys doing their Shante project. Seems everybody's going apeshit for Mighty and not that many people are pledging for their game, which is really good. I hope they'll be able to hit their goal too, but I think not having a DRM Free download's going to hurt them in the long run.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
They just hit 1.75 mill so the documentary is going to happen. 25 days to hit the 2.2 for the console release which I don't doubt will happen. I kinda feel bad for the Wayforward guys doing their Shante project. Seems everybody's going apeshit for Mighty and not that many people are pledging for their game, which is really good. I hope they'll be able to hit their goal too, but I think not having a DRM Free download's going to hurt them in the long run.

I was thinking the same thing.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Looks like they switched around the second mystery goal and the console version goal. Now it only takes 2.2 mil to get the console releases.

famicommander

15 Year Member
They've broken the 1.8 million mark and reached over 30,000 backers.

2.2 million should be reached by the middle of next week.

I hope the mystery stretch goals are cool.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I want a Mega Man The Power Battle mode where you can have two player co-op against the Robot Masters. Such a fun game, shame I never got to see it often in the arcades.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I want a Mega Man The Power Battle mode where you can have two player co-op against the Robot Masters. Such a fun game, shame I never got to see it often in the arcades.
Mega Man Anniversary Collection on Gamecube/Xbox/PS2 includes The Power Battle and The Power Fighters. Worth the price alone, and you also get MM 1-8.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member

I actually had one of them running when I had my setup at Too Many Games. Not sure which one it was but, it said CPS Dash on it. (Though, it looked just like a CPS1 game)

Had about 4 people play and beat it in the course of the hour and a half it was set up. Seemed way too easy and over WAY too fast for me.

As far as Mighty No. 9 goes, it's really not going to pique my interest until it hits $2.2 million as I don't have a way to play it in its current form.

Jon

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Mega Man Anniversary Collection on Gamecube/Xbox/PS2 includes The Power Battle and The Power Fighters. Worth the price alone, and you also get MM 1-8.

Which is pretty much why I got it on the PS2. It's cool to have it thrown in because the game is purely an arcade game because you can finish it in less then half an hour so having it as a bonus on top of the first 8 game's is just gravy.

famicommander

15 Year Member
E7o8jUh.jpg

New Stretch Goals announced

Currently at 1.926 million and counting, all announced goals seem attainable

famicommander

15 Year Member
Ugh... some of the guys in the comments on the KS page are actually ASKING for paid DLC BEFORE the game has even started development.

I really hate the modern gaming consumer.

"Please, fuck me in the ass! Don't give me a complete experience for the money, I'd rather pay multiple times!"

I liken it to standing up in a movie theater and chucking cash at the screen while the credits roll in the hopes of getting five more minutes.