Omega MVS Cartridge Shells: Kickstarter Now Live!

grimm

Marked Wolf
These discussions are like Deja Vu, these are exactly what people were talking about before the KS campaign launched and when it came time to put money up, the support was very lackluster. I'd love to see these come to fruition as I think they add a nice alternative to MVS cart shells.

Agreed, but personally i have a job now that looks to become "permanent" in may, so my financial situation has improved a lot, and i can now actually afford to back this project, if only a handful of shells at a time. I was ready to buy a couple last time too to check them out, but after seeing the pictures and now having the omega i can see the quality of Quan's work and know these will be worth the investment for me.

But like he said, labels have to be made for them first, hopefully coupled with matching shockbox inserts for the ultimate Omega style presentation.

If i werent such a clutz with no real imagination or skill with photoshop type programs id give it a try, but they just would not compare to the good work people have already done thats available now at southtown. But i think its worth repeating. To whomever artist takes it upon their shoulders to create labels, do consider making matching inserts as well.

The western genre-stripes and the meg count box, coupled with the japanese style insert overall would look awesome, very stylish and very OEM. those were what i chose at southtown for the shockboxes Quan helped me order with the omega, for my fledgling mvs collection.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
It's all been said: unless someone comes up with a huge chunk of cash to invest I don't see this succeed. The community can't be bothered enough to make this happen obviously - there seems to be very little middle ground between gaming on the cheap/in the cab (MVS) and spending heaps of money just to be collecting (AES).

Sure, that's a shame.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
These discussions are like Deja Vu, these are exactly what people were talking about before the KS campaign launched and when it came time to put money up, the support was very lackluster. I'd love to see these come to fruition as I think they add a nice alternative to MVS cart shells.

Just to complete the Deja Vu circle I still believe this was largely the fault of the kickstarter structure and presentation and not the product itself.. though it couldn't hurt to find someone to front a large portion of the production cost (to subsidize another kickstarter) or find someway to lower production costs some.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
The community can't be bothered enough to make this happen obviously - there seems to be very little middle ground between gaming on the cheap/in the cab (MVS) and spending heaps of money just to be collecting (AES).

Sure, that's a shame.

I really don't think that's a fair assessment. The fact that I don't want to pay $10-20 a pop to make my MVS games look like AES carts doesn't mean that I'm cheap or that I "can't be bothered to make this happen". I just don't see the point. If I wanted to collect home carts, I'd collect home carts (at least the ones I could afford to). For the same reason, I don't want my carts in shock boxes. And if I had an MVS cart with a fucked up shell, I'd buy a non-working or cheap-as-shit MVS game, swap the cases, and print out a new label.

I'm not knocking the people that want to doll-up their MVS library, nor am I knocking Quan, who does awesome things for the Neo-Geo community as a whole. But to say that the community "can't be bothered to make this happen" is a load of bullshit. Obviously there is a silent majority of the MVS community that is simply happy with their carts the way they are, and that makes us neither cheap nor apathetic.

grimm

Marked Wolf
I really don't think that's a fair assessment. The fact that I don't want to pay $10-20 a pop to make my MVS games look like AES carts doesn't mean that I'm cheap or that I "can't be bothered to make this happen". I just don't see the point. If I wanted to collect home carts, I'd collect home carts (at least the ones I could afford to). For the same reason, I don't want my carts in shock boxes. And if I had an MVS cart with a fucked up shell, I'd buy a non-working or cheap-as-shit MVS game, swap the cases, and print out a new label.

I'm not knocking the people that want to doll-up their MVS library, nor am I knocking Quan, who does awesome things for the Neo-Geo community as a whole. But to say that the community "can't be bothered to make this happen" is a load of bullshit. Obviously there is a silent majority of the MVS community that is simply happy with their carts the way they are, and that makes us neither cheap nor apathetic.

Way to overreact man. I am cheap to the extent that i want neo games i can justify the cost of, thus MVS. This is what was meant by "gaming on the cheap". Dont take such personal offense. He also never said anything about people being apathetic. He simply said the community cant be bothered about this, and obviously it cant or this would be on the way already. Some people are though, and i hope they will grow enough to make this happen. Im one of them, but im not buying 100's of shells by myself. If you dont wanna spice up your collection thats fine, and you are not alone in that. Im sure a plastic crate, or however you store them, full of mvs cartridges work just as well for storing the games and no one is knocking you for it either. Others want their gaming collection to look nice too, and im one of them.

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Way to overreact man. I am cheap to the extent that i want neo games i can justify the cost of, thus MVS. This is what was meant by "gaming on the cheap". Dont take such personal offense. He also never said anything about people being apathetic. He simply said the community cant be bothered about this, and obviously it cant or this would be on the way already. Some people are though, and i hope they will grow enough to make this happen. Im one of them, but im not buying 100's of shells by myself. If you dont wanna spice up your collection thats fine, and you are not alone in that. Im sure a plastic crate, or however you store them, full of mvs cartridges work just as well for storing the games and no one is knocking you for it either. Others want their gaming collection to look nice too, and im one of them.

Right there with you grimm. Just because it's 'arcade/mvs' doesn't mean they have to be covered in spiderwebs and filled with stale cig butts. I like my gaming area to look super presentable (just like everything else around it) and these are right up my alley for that.

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
Again, there's nothing wrong with wanting to pretty-up your MVS carts if that's what floats your boat. But the tone of xsq's post makes it seem like he's bitter that he isn't getting his shells because most of us are too cheap to buy them. And FWIW, there's plenty of middle ground between plastic bins, spider webs, and cigarette butts, and buying replacement shells and shock boxes to turn your MVS games into wannabe home carts.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Again, there's nothing wrong with wanting to pretty-up your MVS carts if that's what floats your boat. But the tone of xsq's post makes it seem like he's bitter that he isn't getting his shells because most of us are too cheap to buy them. And FWIW, there's plenty of middle ground between plastic bins, spider webs, and cigarette butts, and buying replacement shells and shock boxes to turn your MVS games into wannabe home carts.

I agree with this 100%.

I personally have no interest in the Omega MVS shells. However I would assist with funding this project for two reasons:

1. Quan is a good guy that is delivering something new to the Neo scene.

2. Funding this project could lead to other projects down the line.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
I agree with this 100%.

I personally have no interest in the Omega MVS shells. However I would assist with funding this project for two reasons:

exactly. this wasn't my cup of tea, but it didn't stop me from supporting the kickstarter and promoting it where i could.

xsq

Hey, I'm sorry, I think I may have chosen my words poorly and/or mistranslated my thoughts here. I did not want to knock anyone, not you or MVS gamers or homecart collectors and especially not Quan or this project (which I'm sure I will have praised some pages earlier in this thread). I think we're pretty much on the same page here. All I wanted to say with the line you quote was that there obviously is not enough demand. People that go the MVS route seem not keen enough to "dress up" their collection for the money it would cost or would not take the amounts that are needed to get this off the ground. Collectors that have some more money will go Homeconsole... etc. I did not want to call anyone cheap with that statement. Nor did I want to call them apathetic.

As for myself, I guess I'm part of that "silent majority" you describe. I did back the kickstarter to support the idear/project as much as my wallet permitted. I am picky about the MVS carts I buy and look for a condition that I can live with - and I am totally cool with the "rough" look that MVS carts usually come in, it fits them, it's arcade hardware after all... I do not want to replace the shells, they're fine in my book. Neither do I see the need for expensive and giant size shockboxes. I like to keep the stuff close to the "arcade look" in fact.

If I have offended you or anyone else with my choice of words, that was not intentional. Please accept my apologies.

And FWIW, there's plenty of middle ground between plastic bins, spider webs, and cigarette butts, and buying replacement shells and shock boxes to turn your MVS games into wannabe home carts.
Maybe I haven't been around long enough but I would think that the people going through the trouble to get shockboxes, replacement shells and fancy labels are the same crowd that would be into the Omega shells. They would pick up carts in terrible conditions on the cheap and polish them up to go along their CMVS and shockboxes. (There's nothing wrong with that either.)

This is true for me as well.

grimm

Marked Wolf

Personally i didnt read it that way at all. I did however read your post as very bitter. Its not about wannabe either, its about wanting the games to look nice. I have both AES and MVS, and for natural reasons i keep the AES games to the cheap/affordable titles. As for Omega and the possible shells, i like the Omega because they look OEM, not because they look like "wannabe" home system/carts. If anything, the omega cart shells look BETTER than the AES ones.

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member

It's cool, man. I'm sure I just mis-read the intent of your post, then. I was never offended. It just seemed like you were upset that the shells aren't happening at the moment and were taking it out on cheap fucks like me. I agree fully that the shells are cool and that this kind of stuff should be supported, if only to keep new projects coming down the pipe.

ChiefofSB

Geese's Thug
Personally i didnt read it that way at all. I did however read your post as very bitter. Its not about wannabe either, its about wanting the games to look nice. I have both AES and MVS, and for natural reasons i keep the AES games to the cheap/affordable titles. As for Omega and the possible shells, i like the Omega because they look OEM, not because they look like "wannabe" home system/carts. If anything, the omega cart shells look BETTER than the AES ones.

I think they look better than the AES as well and better design, you can open and close them with ease and with no label damage.

CFinley

Banned
I would buy 30 of these at $20, I would consider it a good investment for my collection once it gets that big. I would buy the second they are released

XC-3730C

War Room Troll
Very nice!I have a few MVS carts that are cracked, and these would be sweet. Now if only someone made replacement end labels for MVS carts...

xsq

you could contact shadowkn55 about printing some up, he has some leftovers too. Skinny also offers a similar service.

Evilpoptart

Kula's Candy
Anybody know where I can find replacement Japanese labels? The Neo wiki has some scans but they are not the best. I am specifically looking for Crossed Swords label.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I'm still kinda' bummed the shells never made it to production :(

inzo

n00b
I'm still kinda' bummed the shells never made it to production :(

Same here. I supported the Kickstarter as well and was hoping it got high enough for production to start rolling,sad it didn't even get close. I sometimes wonder if that was also due to lack of people knowing?

I'm also in the same camp of having something aesthetically pleasing and how could you not,after seeing it in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW5tDkjvrPA

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
For people who have cabs, the carts inside aren't visible and 15 bucks a pop is pretty steep. That means the market is limited to cmvs owners, and even then it has to compete with the AI wooden cart shells.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
BHvNUwhCUAAxpNW.jpg:large

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer

Just needs a couple coasters and either some coffee mugs or beer cans/bottles and you'll have yourself a right nice couple of mini-tables there.

Hooray for Neo-themed furniture!

Last edited: