Post Your Recent Purchases!

abathur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Yeah, but I got a pretty good deal on some parts and it just kind of happened. I'd been looking into doing a small Ryzen 7 build to run as a server.

Amazon Warehouse was selling the Asus Zenith Extreme motherboard for $280 as "used - like new", and then had a 20% off coupon for a couple days bringing it down to $230. I bought it because the board is normally like $400-560 and is supposedly going to be compatible with TR2, so I figured I could either keep it for a build or flip it later on (it comes with a 10gb PCIe NIC, which sells for $130 used on its own). I received the board and it was missing a few tiny screws for the m2 mounts and it came with some Gigabyte branded SATA cables (none of this matters much, but....). I talked to Amazon about it and they gave me a 50% discount, so I basically ended up paying like $125 for this bad ass motherboard.

I started looking at the cost of CPUs and most places had the 1950x for $900+, but I found that Microcenter was selling it in-store only for $699. I decided to go ahead and get it since I saved a lot on the motherboard. Then I started looking at cooling and the AIO watercooler that seems to be popular was around $140, but conveniently Fry's was having a one day sale that same day where it was $89.

I used the 50% refund from Amazon to buy a Corsair Carbide Air 540 case.

So I saved something like $500 across the board on this. If TR2 turns out to be insanely better than TR1 I'll probably sell and upgrade, but I'm not super concerned about it. I've got a 7700k I use for games and mainly wanted this many cores/threads for virtualization, Plex transcoding, etc., so it should have a pretty long lifespan and work very well for home lab purposes.

That's a good deal. TR2 will probably end up being 5-10% faster, depending on the application. Going by the 2nd gen Ryzen models released so far, the largest gains are to be found in games, which doesn't appear to affect you. The 7700k is nice for games for the time being. I'm on 1950X with Zenith Extreme, too. Make sure to get decent RAM to go with that setup, preferably modules with Samsung B-die. TR benefits from fast RAM even more than regular Ryzen.

These arrived first thing this morning:

And then the Parcel Force man showed up with this after lunch:

Off to get another micro SD card once I finish me cuppa...

Awesome stuff. What will the evening bring?

Last edited:

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
That's a good deal. TR2 will probably end up being 5-10% faster, depending on the application. Going by the 2nd gen Ryzen models released so far, the largest gains are to be found in games, which doesn't appear to affect you. The 7700k is nice for games for the time being. I'm on 1950X with Zenith Extreme, too. Make sure to get decent RAM to go with that setup, preferably modules with Samsung B-die. TR benefits from fast RAM even more than regular Ryzen.

I moved my memory over from my 7700k to the AMD system since it's pretty good stuff on B-die -- 4x8gb of Trident Z RGB 3200 cl14. I want to get four more sticks but the prices is pretty ridiculous right now so I am just going to wait a bit. I bought two sets of the stuff in January last year for $159 and thought I was overpaying. Now the same sku is like $250.

abathur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I moved my memory over from my 7700k to the AMD system since it's pretty good stuff on B-die -- 4x8gb of Trident Z RGB 3200 cl14. I want to get four more sticks but the prices is pretty ridiculous right now so I am just going to wait a bit. I bought two sets of the stuff in January last year for $159 and thought I was overpaying. Now the same sku is like $250.

That's about the best memory you can get for this setup, and you probably don't hurt your 7700k rig much. Intel CPUs in the past few years didn't benefit from fast RAM nearly as much as all the Ryzens. If you fancy tinkering, an ASUS R&D guy shares BIOS betas on the overclock.net forums here. OP keeps the first post updated.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
I don't think shrink wrap works like you think shrink wrap works...

If sitting in perfect conditions you're right that nothing would happen but the plastic after a long time in certain elements can just wear down. I don't see it crushing the box but I would think it would just get more "loose" but I've seen a few rare cases where if it's been on super tight it can slightly crush cardboard packaging over a long time.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
These arrived first thing this morning:

2azHYof.jpg

And then the Parcel Force man showed up with this after lunch:

j2OzXGa.jpg

Off to get another micro SD card once I finish me cuppa...

Very nice SD.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
If sitting in perfect conditions you're right that nothing would happen but the plastic after a long time in certain elements can just wear down. I don't see it crushing the box but I would think it would just get more "loose" but I've seen a few rare cases where if it's been on super tight it can slightly crush cardboard packaging over a long time.

Yeah, shrink wrap should only shrink at above 250 degrees F.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Yeah, shrink wrap should only shrink at above 250 degrees F.

Yeah I agree but I've seen the same thing with Atari Boxed games where the packages start getting crushed inwards and that's usually due to poor build on some game boxes where there's no real interior center pieces to keep everything pushed outwards, I recall some GBA boxes were prone to this along with Gameboy packaging as well. Fuck Nintendo in general made me sad with all the cheapness on their game packaging with flimsy card board.

Cue Labo I guess now..

I was happy that they stopped doing that crap with Gamecube and DS Cases seeing as I like to keep my games that I play stored on my shelf.

Speaking of boxed stuff, A dude came into my shoppe on Sunday and traded in a complete boxed Doom and Hexen for Nintendo 64. I gave him a bit more then he was expecting and when he asked me why I told him, "If everyone kept their games complete like you did, these wouldn't be worth so much as they are now."

Last edited:

Tech&Music

Another Striker
Got my Lenovo USB Modem in today for my DreamPi. Cobbled together a voltage inducer real quick, seems to work just fine. This'll allow me to join into some online Dreamcast games, which is quite cool. Just a shame I don't have a copy of PSO V2 yet, given the required boot disc won't take a burned copy, but there are other games to play on the net that don't require the original disc, thankfully.

Too lazy to bother with taking a photo, so here's the eBay pic for who really wants to see a USB modem for some reason:
s-l1600.jpg

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
You still need to get a official PSO V2 dreamcast game for the hunter license and serial number. On ebay you can grab one for $20 sealed.

Afterwards you can burn Ives PSO disc that automatically connects to the sylverant server. If you don't you need to use a game shark to patch it manually if you use the og disc.

In any case it is best to use the burned ives disc since it fixes a lot of problems

Last edited:

fake

15 Year Member
Yeesh. Wouldn't be better / easier to just play Blue Burst?

Tech&Music

Another Striker

It probably is, but the DreamPi thankfully does more than just PSO, and most of the other games it supports are trivially easy to get online with. I just hope one of these days they get Daytona USA 2001 and Propeller Arena working online, they seem like they could be some real fun online.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member

Depends. I've played on all servers extensively so dreamcast is a nice change in the meta. A lot of the BB servers have stupid drama and are not even vanilla in regards to how original blue burst was. I never got the chance to play dreamcast pso online, but I did play it offline.

Alternatively you can download Version 2 on the PC as well.

Last edited:

gamesboro

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I made some arcade trades this weekend and walked away with a big ol' box of MVS carts.

The bootleg Metal Slug 6 is actually a bootleg King of Gladiator.

NGMVSbox.JPG

fake

15 Year Member
Depends. I've played on all servers extensively so dreamcast is a nice change in the meta. A lot of the BB servers have stupid drama and are not even vanilla in regards to how original blue burst was. I never got the chance to play dreamcast pso online, but I did play it offline.

Alternatively you can download Version 2 on the PC as well.

Hmm OK. Yeah, I only played offline on DC as well. But I loved beta testing Blue Burst. But I would only want to play on a vanilla server.