The all new 'What's it worth' thread

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Posted in a thread I have in Unrelated but not getting any suggestions on what a reasonable asking price would be.

View attachment 23522

Sealed copies of Ikaruga.

View attachment 23465

Sealed copies of G Darius and Einhander for PSOne.

Sealed copies of Rockman X4 Best Collection for Japanese Saturn.

Sealed soundtracks for Giant Robo from RightStuf, and GunValkyrie from TokyoPop.

Last edited:

stopXwhispering

New Challenger
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey! I'm new to this forum, and new to Neo Geo collecting. I just bought a friends collection of a Neo Geo AES and 30 games. I'm really excited to continue to grow my AES library ^_^ I don't really mind buying conversions, as long as the game looks good, plays well and has a box.
So here's to my question: I just bought Bang Bang Busters as an AES conversion from an eBay seller and he's now offering to sell me Blazing Star for 220 Euros (also a conversion), it's boxed, looks nice and even has a manual. Is that a reasonable price? Being a conversion and all? He claims that other people on eBay sells it at 299 Euros, I can't confirm that though since there's no other Blazing Star conversion up for sale right now.
I really do want the game, since I love shmups and it seems like fun ^_^ Should I buy it? Or offer him a lower price?
I'd really appreciate some advice :) Thanks!

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hey! I'm new to this forum, and new to Neo Geo collecting. I just bought a friends collection of a Neo Geo AES and 30 games. I'm really excited to continue to grow my AES library ^_^ I don't really mind buying conversions, as long as the game looks good, plays well and has a box.
So here's to my question: I just bought Bang Bang Busters as an AES conversion from an eBay seller and he's now offering to sell me Blazing Star for 220 Euros (also a conversion), it's boxed, looks nice and even has a manual. Is that a reasonable price? Being a conversion and all? He claims that other people on eBay sells it at 299 Euros, I can't confirm that though since there's no other Blazing Star conversion up for sale right now.
I really do want the game, since I love shmups and it seems like fun ^_^ Should I buy it? Or offer him a lower price?

I wouldn't bother with conversions...at all. Get a CMVS or an MVS adapter for your AES or even a Supergun setup with an MVS motherboard and just get Blazing Star as an MVS cart.

Last edited:

totoro

X>2, (He is so wrong -Ed),
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
stop supporting boot/conversion makers by buying their products!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
340   0   0
That's $100 without the shipping right? I am NOT shipping this beast. Mine is in ok condition. Let's see who wants to buy a SONY PVM in NYC.

Right. I wouldn't want to ship one either.

Stop buying conversions. Buy a MVS cart plus converter or MVS motherboard.

stopXwhispering

New Challenger
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wouldn't bother with conversions...at all. Get a CMVS or an MVS adapter for your AES or even a Supergun setup with an MVS motherboard and just get Blazing Star as an MVS cart.

which MVS adaptor should I get then? And how do they work? Is it like a cartridge in between the console and the game cartridge? I've never seen one..
(I don't want the MVS system, first of all because I wouldn't know how it works, and secondly it also takes up a lot of space..)

stopXwhispering

New Challenger
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Right. I wouldn't want to ship one either.

Stop buying conversions. Buy a MVS cart plus converter or MVS motherboard.

Didn't mean to offend anyone. As I said I'm completely new to the Neo Geo market. I'm not even quite sure what a "conversion" is.. is it like a reproduction?
Since I don't have a converter for MVS carts I can't buy them yet.. Also, I want my games in boxes, and not just loose MVS carts as they usually come by..

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Didn't mean to offend anyone. As I said I'm completely new to the Neo Geo market. I'm not even quite sure what a "conversion" is.. is it like a reproduction?
Since I don't have a converter for MVS carts I can't buy them yet.. Also, I want my games in boxes, and not just loose MVS carts as they usually come by..

Conversions happen when people take an original AES game and an original MVS game (Blazing Star in your case) and remove the mask roms from the AES cart and toss them, then remove the mask roms from the MVS cart and put them on the AES boards, therefore killing 2 original games.

You can get shockboxes and inserts for MVS games to make them look 'nicer' or more AES-like on a shelf.

stopXwhispering

New Challenger
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Conversions happen when people take an original AES game and an original MVS game (Blazing Star in your case) and remove the mask roms from the AES cart and toss them, then remove the mask roms from the MVS cart and put them on the AES boards, therefore killing 2 original games.

You can get shockboxes and inserts for MVS games to make them look 'nicer' or more AES-like on a shelf.

Thanks for explaining ^_^ So which converter should I look for? And where can I get it? Any suggestions? :)

Also does anyone have suggestions of where to turn to for good reproduction boxes and inserts? (might need that now if I'm gonna start buying MVS carts of all the good games I want) ;D

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
HEY stopXwhispering!! It's excellent to see you here at these forums!

I'm going to preemptively vouch for stopXwhispering. 10/10 gamer.
stopXwhispering will be an excellent person to deal with. We've traded and sold to each other a lot. ACES!!

For MVS cases (called Shockboxes) and for cover inserts go to http://southtown-homebrew.com/index.php

MSV Shockboxes -> http://southtown-homebrew.com/index.php?cPath=170
Shockbox inserts -> http://southtown-homebrew.com/index.php?cPath=1

Yeah, conversions are disliked because they are not made from scratch. Instead original MVS and AES carts are destroyed to make AES conversion carts of original games that are typically very expensive.

As for adapters. I believe you can get them at the NeoStore (same guy who runs this forum).
http://www.neostore.com/category-s/1.htm

But ask around a bit for which adapter is best. I don't know them very well but I think the most expensive one is the most compatible.

Thanks for explaining ^_^ So which converter should I look for? And where can I get it? Any suggestions? :)

Also does anyone have suggestions of where to turn to for good reproduction boxes and inserts? (might need that now if I'm gonna start buying MVS carts of all the good games I want) ;D

stopXwhispering

New Challenger
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
HEY stopXwhispering!! It's excellent to see you here at these forums!

I'm going to preemptively vouch for stopXwhispering. 10/10 gamer.
stopXwhispering will be an excellent person to deal with. We've traded and sold to each other a lot. ACES!!

For MVS cases (called Shockboxes) and for cover inserts go to http://southtown-homebrew.com/index.php

MSV Shockboxes -> http://southtown-homebrew.com/index.php?cPath=170
Shockbox inserts -> http://southtown-homebrew.com/index.php?cPath=1

Yeah, conversions are disliked because they are not made from scratch. Instead original MVS and AES carts are destroyed to make AES conversion carts of original games that are typically very expensive.

As for adapters. I believe you can get them at the NeoStore (same guy who runs this forum).
http://www.neostore.com/category-s/1.htm

But ask around a bit for which adapter is best. I don't know them very well but I think the most expensive one is the most compatible.

Thanks Eric! :D So I guess I'll be going for the $399.99 converter ^_^ Those boxes and inserts were not as expensive as I had imagined :D Now I'll start scouting eBay for MVS carts instead ;D It's even cheaper than the conversions! I thought conversions were basically bootlegs.. I dunno.. but it's definitely a shame if they're ruining already perfectly good games and cartridges :/

There are so many games that seem so awesome that I want for the Neo Geo now that I've been looking into it though ^_^ This is an expensive hobby that you got me into ;D But I'm really enjoying the system! I still haven't found a good spot for all the games in my game room yet though.. need more shelves! ^^

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
249   0   1
Price check on these, please!
Garou US MVS cart
Zupapa US MVS kit - mint condition, purchased new

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Thanks Eric! :D So I guess I'll be going for the $399.99 converter [...] This is an expensive hobby that you got me into
So you're the guy who bought all his games? Well, in any case: slow down turbo. Play the games you have, take your time, they're worth it.

As to converters: "the $399.99" you're talking about is the "Deadalus", right? It's made by Jason Young (aka "David Garret"), a known scammer. I'd suggest doing some research on the "MagicKey" converter, it features portions of the Unibios code (which means you also get Features like region selection and cheats) and should work with almost all games (scaling has been fixed). It's also cheaper.....

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Sound advice xsq! However, stopXwhispering will not slow down :D But at the same time I know all of those games will get played.

@stopXwhispering be sure to read all about the converters. Every time I read something posted about them I've noticed that there are lots of differences and even some compatibility issues.
What do people here think is the best one?

So you're the guy who bought all his games? Well, in any case: slow down turbo. Play the games you have, take your time, they're worth it.

As to converters: "the $399.99" you're talking about is the "Deadalus", right? It's made by Jason Young (aka "David Garret"), a known scammer. I'd suggest doing some research on the "MagicKey" converter, it features portions of the Unibios code (which means you also get Features like region selection and cheats) and should work with almost all games (scaling has been fixed). It's also cheaper.....

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Hey guys, how much does a SONY PVM-20M2MDU cost these days? I'm about to sell mine and need to know the price.

I bought mine for $70, but that was a forum pickup too. I think the $100 price that's being batted around sounds about right. It's an excellent 600 line screen, but not necessarily the best you can get so I wouldn't expect a price premium unless you're in an area starved for CRTs.

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
whats a US AES Andro Dunos worth in modern times? I never see this cart for sale.

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Qatar!! I was hoping it didn't get to the rates of the JP version which seems to be $700+

stopXwhispering

New Challenger
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Yes, I'm the girl that bought theSegaDude's AES collection, and I'm super happy with my new Neo Geo ^_^ It's a great system, and yes I do play the games. I only buy games to play them. I have a hard time to stop buying games though, cause whenever I get recommended something good I look it up and try to find it, otherwise I will forget about it >-<

I thought the Neo Geo store was recommended by this forum.. I guess I need to do some more research on other converters then if the Deadalus isn't ok?
I basically just want a converter that is as easy to use as possible and takes all the original MVS games. I don't have an issue with some games being in Japanese. And I'm not into cheating ;) Cheaper is always nice though...

stopXwhispering

New Challenger
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sound advice xsq! However, stopXwhispering will not slow down :D But at the same time I know all of those games will get played.

@stopXwhispering be sure to read all about the converters. Every time I read something posted about them I've noticed that there are lots of differences and even some compatibility issues.
What do people here think is the best one?

There's so much new stuff to get into o_O It's exciting though ^_^ Hopefully one day I'll be a full-fledged Neo Nerd as well ;D Thanks for getting me into this!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I thought the Neo Geo store was recommended by this forum.. I guess I need to do some more research on other converters then if the Deadalus isn't ok?
I basically just want a converter that is as easy to use as possible and takes all the original MVS games. I don't have an issue with some games being in Japanese. And I'm not into cheating ;) Cheaper is always nice though...

The Neo Store is reliable, just overpriced. The Daedalus works great, probably the best of all the converters, it is tainted because the creator is a lying sack of shit and a lot of people do not want to contribute financially to him.