Destiny (you know, Bungie's new FPS)

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
The beta was back up and running yesterday. I found myself trying other class and race combinations for the simple fact that I don't like the way male Awoken dance. LOL, it's a fuckin' terrible animation. The male Exo is even worse, with probably the worst version of the robot I've ever seen.

I'm strongly considering playing as a female human only because she has the best dance routine, lol.

Last edited:

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
Anyone need a DL code for Xbone? All the people I'm playing with have pre-ordered it, so not using two of them. And if anyone has an extra 360 code, I'll take one. Just curious to compare the two systems for myself.

EDIT: Both codes are gone.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Thanks to Ghost Dog for the ps3 beta hookup. Truly legit gentlemen he is.

Loading on the PS3 takes a little longer than what I'd like on the Beta when going from a zone to the hub or vice versa.

I guess the console is showing its age.

The dirt texture is pretty blah as well but everything else looks nice.

Third person is awkward. Don't care for it. (I do like the hub though!)

Gameplay seems nice so far.

The shooting "feels" good and weighty. I just got my first heavy weapon but didn't get a chance to try it out yet, too tired. Shotgun range was crazy short, but worked well as a weapon of last resort when going in close. Probably really suited to a melee build where you'd want to get that close.

The jetpack jumping is cool. And coming down in to a melee from that is awesome.
Speaking of which: Melee attacks in this game are Halo 1 awesome.
I like that you have infinite grenades, but that they refresh. Grenade spam is lame, however, I like that these grenades have weight - you can really use them to your advantage because at least early on they're stupid powerful.
The game has been a decent challenge for me too far. Some of the little mission boss encounters felt like Halo Heroic level difficulty.

I'm getting a quasi-PSO vibe from this game to tell you the truth. Mixed with Borderlands and Halo...

Last edited:

Magician

20 Year Member
Wait until you get your hands on a fusion rifle for a secondary, I think their cq damage is far greater than shotguns. It's difficult to say which is the better secondary, fusion rifle or sniper rifle. Both are superior to each other depending on the situation. Fusion rifle for hallways or sniper rifle for 5x damage crit headshots (which is why they're so popular in versus multiplayer) which is helpful while working on "get X amount of experience without dying or kill X number of enemies without being hit" bounties.

Edit: sorry, I ment the fusion rifle not pulse rifle.

Last edited:

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
Anyone have an extra code for the 360 beta that I could have? I'd appreciate it.

Edit: Nevermind, got one.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Wait until you get your hands on a fusion rifle for a secondary, I think their cq damage is far greater than shotguns. It's difficult to say which is the better secondary, fusion rifle or sniper rifle. Both are superior to each other depending on the situation. Fusion rifle for hallways or sniper rifle for 5x damage crit headshots (which is why they're so popular in versus multiplayer) which is helpful while working on "get X amount of experience without dying or kill X number of enemies without being hit" bounties.

Edit: sorry, I ment the fusion rifle not pulse rifle.

I think I got a fusion rifle, it charges? Seems powerful but somewhat unwieldy.

Headshots snipes are 5x? Nice. I wondered by the sniper was doing like 700+ dmg and I'm only lvl 4.

Multiplayer is available in the beta? I'll have to check that out.

Last edited:

Magician

20 Year Member
Multiplayer is available in the beta? I'll have to check that out.

Yes, I believe you have to play up until story mission three or four to unlock multiplayer.

a.k.a. - the crucible.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
The art, gameplay mechanics (with the weapons) and a few other wrinkles are definitely throwbacks to marathon... and that's excellent.

Magician

20 Year Member
Bungie has lifted the code system and has made the beta available to anyone interested.

The beta ends Sunday night, so you'll have the weekend to try it out.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
I played some of the alpha on PS4, but now that I get to spend more time with it, I'm really enjoying it. It's way more fun than Borderlands in my opinion. The 360 version looks and runs pretty well considering the hardware it's running on, but of course the PS4 version looked way better. Though all the gameplay seems to be intact from what I remember.

The art, gameplay mechanics (with the weapons) and a few other wrinkles are definitely throwbacks to marathon... and that's excellent.

Not only that, but one of the game's main plot elements (humanity confined to a single city) was transplanted directly from Myth's lore. Destiny was originally conceived as a semi-reboot of Myth (Project Phoenix/Breach) before they made it sci-fi, so that feels quite fitting. As it is now, Destiny seems more like an almost-fully realized version of one of Halo CE's original concepts.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Happy they've opened the beta for everyone to try. Not usually a big FPS fan, but I have fond memories playing Halo so I think this could be down my alley. That download though, it may not finish by Sunday for me. 700 minute download :(

Magician

20 Year Member
After playing a few more hours last night I think I'm set on my choices when the game finally launches in September.

Race: Female/Human (those dance moves....mmmmmm nice)
Class: Warlock (Sunsinger, melee build that aims for sustained damage reduction from Radiance)

Primary: Scout Rifle (I prefer the precision over the superior dps from the pulse rifle or auto rifle)
Secondary: Fusion Rifle (I think the damage outpaces shotguns and they reload quicker)
Heavy: Machine Gun (I feel like Jesse Ventura in the jungle from Predator with this, so much fun)

I'm hyped. Not quite as much as I would be for a new Fallout or Elder Scrolls but pretty close to that.

I'm burning half my annual allotment of vacation time just for Destiny's release.

P.S. - throwing up my build plan.

Warlock, Sunsinger subclass (grenade spam build)
Grenade: Firebolt (bolts of light track enemies after explosion)
Glide: Balanced (50/50 split bonus to control and speed)
Radiance: Song of Flame (reduce all cooldowns (super, grenade, & melee) for all allies)
Scorch: Flame Shield (cast Ignite on target causing DoT and gives you damage reduction on kill)
Arcane: Arcane Force (moderate bonus to toughness and speed)
Order: Chaos Order (massive bonus to speed)
Passive: Radiant Will (increase duration of Radiance)
Specialty: Touch of Flame (grenade damage casts Ignite)
Class Lock: Illumination (moderate bonus to recovery)

Build/Gameplay Theory
This a captain or boss DoT build. Fallen Captains and Hive Wizards dodge grenades well, and bosses tank alot of damage in general. The Sunsinger's ability to spread Ignite over the battlefield through melee and grenades will help cut through enemies quickly. And I'm taking any passive attribute bonuses to speed to help me dodge or reposition cover easily.

The only thing I'm not sure about is if I can gear past a 100% grenade cooldown bonus?

I suppose that's anothing thing I can test over the weekend, but until then...que the Sunsinger theme song.

Last edited:

Magician

20 Year Member
Has anybody found any gear with a bonus towards intelligence (super cooldown) in the beta?

With supers being what they are I'd assume not.

Edit: P.S. - slightly bored so I though I'd post the known gear stuffs.

Rarity
White - Common
Green - Uncommon
Blue - Rare
Purple - Legendary
Gold - Exotic*

* - only two exotic items, one weapon and one armor piece, can be equipped at any time.

Gear Bonuses (in order of importance I would say)
Light - increases the damage of your abilites.
Intellect - reduces the cooldown time for your super.
Discipline - reduces the cooldown time for your grenade.
Strength - reduces the cooldown time for your melee.

Gear also offers passive upgrades such as additional ammo, quicker reload speed, etc.

Last edited:

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
I played a bit earlier for the first time since before the maintenance days. I'm still getting upgrades for my guns, which is cool. I'll have to get back in it a couple of times before the beta's over.

I've yet to do the strike mission thing on the moon.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
I'm enjoying this way more than I did Borderlands. The more seamless co-op is much better suited for holding my interest, I think. Plus, I prefer this game's tone/music/art-style.

Has anybody found any gear with a bonus towards intelligence (super cooldown) in the beta?

Yeah, I had a couple with that bonus. They were both pretty low-level gear though, so I ended up recycling them in favor of stuff with much higher defense.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Not a bad game, feels like Halo to me. I do love the weapon/equipment upgrade system as it reminds of the old school RPG type games like D&D but absolutely hate the jetpacks, I think Titanfall's parkour system ruined that for me as it was so second nature in the way it felt. In Destiny, there were so many times I was laughing when I would try to jump from rock to rock and miss by a foot. The MP side is lacking hard, too slow paced for me. But the rest of the game is pretty good.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
I loved it when I got the double jump. Then I starting cussing out the shit collision detection for jumps...

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler

With supers being what they are I'd assume not.

Edit: P.S. - slightly bored so I though I'd post the known gear stuffs.

Rarity
White - Common
Green - Uncommon
Blue - Rare
Purple - Legendary
Gold - Exotic*

* - only two exotic items, one weapon and one armor piece, can be equipped at any time.

Gear Bonuses (in order of importance I would say)
Light - increases the damage of your abilites.
Intellect - reduces the cooldown time for your super.
Discipline - reduces the cooldown time for your grenade.
Strength - reduces the cooldown time for your melee.

Gear also offers passive upgrades such as additional ammo, quicker reload speed, etc.

Do you know of a good resource to read up on more of the aspects of the game, such as weapons, gear builds ect?

Magician

20 Year Member
Do you know of a good resource to read up on more of the aspects of the game, such as weapons, gear builds ect?

Not really. The usual sites are all lacking...info wise. Even Bungie's forum is a mish-mash of gameplay opinions and bitch fests. No seperate forum to focus on topics to discuss Destiny's rpg system.

I've learned more playing as I go than anything I've read online.

Such as the gear bonuses. Apparently they're capped at 100%. Which doesn't make sense when every legendary piece on display in the Tower offer bonuses that would go well past a 100% bonus, most woud even provide a 90% bonus for two categories on just one legendary armor piece. Either gear bonuses are capped for the beta alone or thay're gated in some other way because as it stands it'll be possible to reach a 100% bonus in strength, discipline, and intellect before reaching the out-of-the-box level cap.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I put about 2.5 hours into the public beta. It's ok, but I wish they made it easier to work with a team. Right now it seems like if you want to play co-op, you really need to get your friends together rather than tag along with strangers.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I put about 2.5 hours into the public beta. It's ok, but I wish they made it easier to work with a team. Right now it seems like if you want to play co-op, you really need to get your friends together rather than tag along with strangers.

I'm hoping in the final version you can do some sort of quick join when you see other fire teams. It feels very Halo-ish (expected) but it's pretty entertaining. It's almost like BorderLands, and Halo had a baby with Mass Effect. So has the beta sold anyone on buying the full game?

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Even for a beta it seems like it did a poor job of explaining how shit works. Maybe I just skipped most of it, I'm just getting destroyed in multiplayer by shit I don't even understand. Having the first multiplayer playlist you can play be an objective-based one with random teams is probably a poor idea as well. Do the later ones ever unlock?

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I'm hoping in the final version you can do some sort of quick join when you see other fire teams. It feels very Halo-ish (expected) but it's pretty entertaining. It's almost like BorderLands, and Halo had a baby with Mass Effect. So has the beta sold anyone on buying the full game?

Yeah, the missions do feel pretty bite-sized like Mass Effect, which I like. But I don't like how Halo-ish the enemies feel. I don't feel like they started from scratch with their designs. I think they even reused some audio. This is stupid, but I wish the player characters looked cooler. A lot of the art I saw before had characters wearing hoods and shit like they were weathering sand dunes and super harsh conditions. My dude looks like he's going to some Star Trek meet-up.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Me, Craig. and one of our buddies just killed the first 2 real bosses. It was some real shit.