Destiny (you know, Bungie's new FPS)

Strange

War Room Troll
I honestly wasn't very impressed with the E3 showing. Destiny just seemed like Mass Effect meets Borderlands. I've loved Bungie in the past so I'm absolutely giving their new game a chance on release for the Xbox One. For me tho, the hype train has died a lot.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I honestly wasn't very impressed with the E3 showing. Destiny just seemed like Mass Effect meets Borderlands. I've loved Bungie in the past so I'm absolutely giving their new game a chance on release for the Xbox One. For me tho, the hype train has died a lot.

Hence my comments on this game being evolutionary rather than revolutionary.

Although the public events where multiple gamers sessions are instanced together seamlessly to combat a larger enemy force was pretty fucking cool.

Here is a playthrough of the demo we've seen last night, but with someone from Bungie talking about the game to a Gamespot editor:

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/destiny-e3-2013-stage-demo-6409881/?tag=Topslot;Slot1

Will have competitive multiplayer.

Strange

War Room Troll
I just saw that Gamespot video. The game is going to be really cool. My expectations were just over inflated. It's the game I'm most looking forward to again. Destiny will take me into the next generation. I'll pick up the new Xbox along with it when it's released.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I'm looking for legitimate reasons why anyone cares about this. Why are people hyped about Destiny? From where I sit, it just looks like a brown sci-fi shooter with a loot system and MMO style co-op.

It's just the way my brain works, but this looks like the same old shit we've been getting for an entire generation with a few modifications.

Do people really have this much faith in Bungie to deliver when the Halo series has never really been anything worth writing home about and survives predominantly on nostalgia?

Do people really need yet another online FPS arena game?

Sell me on this.

Why should I care?

Not trolling. I want some legitimate rationale.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Sell me on this.

It looks like Dead Island, only with gunplay.

Which automatically makes it awesome.

Need I say more?

/me - *sheepish grin*

Magician

20 Year Member
LOL

Honestly though, I look at Destiny and all I see is Borderlands. Only with an artistic direction that Borderlands intended to use until it was changed at the eleventh hour to a more cell shaded look. Add to that the fact that it's a larger universe, a new and larger loot pool, co-op parties, clan support, and deeper customization options. That's already more than Borderlands has ever offered.

I draw alot of comparisons to Borderlands because that's the core of Destiny, a loot/shooter.

Sure it doesn't have the dark and mature themes you may be looking for, but it's offering a hearty dish of what I love.

Loot...sweet loot.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
in theory i should be all over this game

i love Halo and i love Borderlands and this looks like a combination of the two

but i don't know what it is... i honestly can't quantify my general apathy for it

i still plan on getting it but at the moment i'm definitely not pumped for it

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Sure it doesn't have the dark and mature themes you may be looking for, but it's offering a hearty dish of what I love.

There is only one game dark and mature enough to satisfy my need to play games of redeeming social value. But that game won't load if I try to play it in my homocave.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Because it's Bungie and I thoroughly enjoyed all their Halo games.

They have a penchant for stellar multiplayer.

It's another entry in the shoot 'n loot genre which I am glad to see.

If you aren't sold on games revolving around loot and the pursuit of more loot then this game might not be for you.

Did you like Borderlands?

I said before that this game looks more evolutionary than revolutionary.

What seems cool in Destiny is how the multiplayer works. The party system where you can instance with other parties, in certain predefined zones, to fight larger battles seems awesome.

I wouldn't call the game brown, given you play on numerous worlds and we've only seen the classic, oft-done "wasteland" type setting.

I guess I don't understand what you mean by "hyped." Am I hyped for this game? No. Am I going to buy it day 1? Yes, probably. I just expect it to be a solid game, with features and systems I already like, with Bungie's own twist on the genre. A good story and anything else will be gravy.

A game I am hyped for though: Dragon's Crown. Can.Not.Wait.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
If you aren't sold on games revolving around loot and the pursuit of more loot then this game might not be for you.

I like loot style games. I just don't like FPS as a genre, although I like some games in that style (Bioshock, for example.)

I even get why the game is being promoted so heavily. This is the first major thing Bungie is doing since walking away from Halo.

It's just...shooters are not attractive to me as a genre. There has to be something beyond the play style itself to engage me.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Did you play Dishonored?

Anywho I will say I was disappointed that Bungie's first game after Halo was an FPS. I was hoping to see their take on a different genre.

FPS still haven't lost their appeal to me though I certainly don't play as many as I used to, nor have I played competitively online in some time.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I couldn't get into Dishonored. I appreciate that it tried to do something different, and the stealth and sliding mechanics were nice additions, but it just didn't grab me. The uniqueness wasn't strong enough to overcome what I felt were very humdrum run n gun elements I've seen a million times before.

I love playing FPS games in existing universes of other mediums, like the Dark Forces games. Those types of games fall back on the mythology of the IP and when I see and hear familiar sights and sounds, I have an easier time sliding into that reality. I also like when games cleverly introduce elements of their universes into the gameplay. It's little innocuous stuff, like the sound a roller droid makes when you shoot it or the familiar hiss of a door sliding open, or the ionic scream of a TIE Fighter flying overhead. Those little touches that just keep reminding you what world you're playing in.

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
So what's the deal with this?

I see the term FPS MMO tossed around in here. Is this an MMO, or can you play it offline?

Also, I did not like Borderlands.

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
You can play it offline or on, just like Borderlands. Really this game is Bungie's take on the Borderland's formula; large areas to explore, monsters to kill, and loot to collect. I have not been that impressed with the gunplay so far but the game is still months away.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I am looking for the novel features. It does seem to be falling inbetween something like BL2 and Planetside. Hopefully more like BL2 because Planetside gets old real fast.

Magician

20 Year Member
Gearbox handled the Colonial Marines situation so poorly. Yet I can't help being anything but grateful to them for giving the shoot'n'loot genre legs. Would Destiny get any further than "the idea" if the Borderlands series wasn't a twenty-million copy seller? Probably not.

Last edited:

Magician

20 Year Member
Bump

Destiny will be the cover for the January issue of GameInformer.

A blowout article will no doubt be inside.

Destiny_game_informer_cover.jpg

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Bump

Destiny will be the cover for the January issue of GameInformer.

A blowout article will no doubt be inside.

Destiny_game_informer_cover.jpg

I've seen that art style before.....

lhowon.jpg

Strong Marathon Pastiche. Love it.

Magician

20 Year Member
Bump

It's old news, but the official release date for Destiny is September 9th.

I've already submitted my time off request at work. :)

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
We really don't know the core mechanics yet right?

I still have a dreadful feeling this is going to be as stale as Planetside 2.

Magician

20 Year Member
We really don't know the core mechanics yet right?

I still have a dreadful feeling this is going to be as stale as Planetside 2.

Hmm? What more than the usual fps and mmo-rpg trappings did you want to know?