Neo Geo X Gold System details and price announced!

chimera

New Challenger
I'm having problems with mine; HDMI when plugged into the portable works (but will frequently wig out if the cable is nudged), but doesn't work through the dock. Power works and charges the battery, and it gives me the nasty warning if I turn on the portable itself, but nothing over HDMI when used docked no matter what I try. Anyone have anything similar or any tips?

what do you mean by "nasty warning"?

Edit: send it back if its not working. thats what i would do. i have been playing mine all day and it works great without any "nasty warning". i'd be pissed if i payed 200 for it not to work or be in perfect condition.

Last edited:

chimera

New Challenger
The difference is very minimal. If I just had a NGX stick in my hand playing with it, I would say "This is exactly like a Neo old style stick!" However, I have many old style sticks, and can compare them side by side. The two sticks are like 95% the same though. I may even like the NGX stick a little better, the buttons have a little more spring to them than any of my home style sticks except for the modded one.

It's worth noting that although I have several "like new" old style sticks, I don't have any that are NIB, so the slight differences I'm feeling could just be comparing new parts to "like new" parts. Could be that a NIB old style stick is identical to the NGX stick.

yes they are very similar. i havent taken the new controller apart to see the similarities inside but the feel is exactly the same. i measured everything too and it is to aes spec. the only difference i really think is the weight. the ngx controller is lighter than aes controller.

Looks like my second attempt of a preorder from toysrus pulled through :) my joystick is on the way. In the mean time, I'm going to open up my X and check it out.

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
Gstop, told me it would be there by 1 today, so I head over after work...then guess what..... now they say today was their 'ship date' and they wouldn't have mine till tomorrow, in not surprised..
Yup... same issue with me. I checked around town at other GS to see if my store was the only acception... turns out no one else in the Atlanta Metro area ordered one.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
Mine came in today:

did a quick video unboxing/review - since i havent seen any decent ones out there i figured id make one

short review of the system: its impressive. I really love the build quality of the unit itself. The control deck and stick are not as great. The deck especially is kinda flimsy and feels like cheap plastic.

Also the HDMI output fucking sucks. theres nothing else to say - its really terrible. I don't know why but not even a CRT or a scanline generator can fix it imo. very disappointing.

now the good part - the image quality of the handheld is superb. Really great quality. Unsure about the battery life and i know about the save issue.

The stick is very responsive and feels great too. Overall is a very solid piece of hardware. If you want a handheld on the go, then i would say buy. If you are more interested in an AES replacement in your living room then i would avoid - go CMVS.

7/10 is what id rate it. Points lost for the issues mentioned above. I will still hoard any games that come out for it. And ill probably pick up another stick for it.

Mattroid

Edo Express Delivery Guy
15 Year Member
My X from Best Buy shipped today, which was sort of a shock. I got the free shipping, so I imagine it'll be a week or more before I see it.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
I was hoping for a mini-rombox on the go with play at home HDTV fun fun sexy time. They can hack it to hell but bottom line is it will always display like ass.

I miss my shit.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Mine came in today:

did a quick video unboxing/review - since i havent seen any decent ones out there i figured id make one

short review of the system: its impressive. I really love the build quality of the unit itself. The control deck and stick are not as great. The deck especially is kinda flimsy and feels like cheap plastic.

Also the HDMI output fucking sucks. theres nothing else to say - its really terrible. I don't know why but not even a CRT or a scanline generator can fix it imo. very disappointing.

now the good part - the image quality of the handheld is superb. Really great quality. Unsure about the battery life and i know about the save issue.

The stick is very responsive and feels great too. Overall is a very solid piece of hardware. If you want a handheld on the go, then i would say buy. If you are more interested in an AES replacement in your living room then i would avoid - go CMVS.

7/10 is what id rate it. Points lost for the issues mentioned above. I will still hoard any games that come out for it. And ill probably pick up another stick for it.

Thanks for the heads up. The main reason I wanted this was because I thought the video quality would be superior to my component modded aes/cmvs on my hdtv. Still looks like a very cool handheld though.

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
Great video lantus, now I'm super excited about receiving mine.

Hopefully the composite out will be better. I'll try it on my PVM when I get it and see.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
yeah let me know how that looks - my PVM gets here friday so i cant really do much with that right now.

c0dehunter

Tarma's Gun Polisher
GameStop.com Order: Did you get yours yet?

The only thins I received is the extra set of controller that I ordered. They haven't sent me an email about the main system.

What should I do?

I paid the most expensive type of shipping fee to get them today, and all I got was the extra controller and not the main system.

chimera

New Challenger
GameStop.com Order: Did you get yours yet?

The only thins I received is the extra set of controller that I ordered. They haven't sent me an email about the main system.

What should I do?

I paid the most expensive type of shipping fee to get them today, and all I got was the extra controller and not the main system.

i ordered from gamestop last week and got it today. i got a shipping conformation on the 17 around 9pm. im pretty sure it drop shipped form where ever it was manufactured. i payed for one day shipping. you could probably get your money back for not receiving it on the street date. i would try at least since you said you paid for the most expensive shipping and that should be one day shipping.

crujones4life

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Lol @ hdmi. I'm hooking mine up to a 27" CRT via composite. Did anyone really think the hdmi would look good?

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I'm having problems with mine; HDMI when plugged into the portable works (but will frequently wig out if the cable is nudged), but doesn't work through the dock. Power works and charges the battery, and it gives me the nasty warning if I turn on the portable itself, but nothing over HDMI when used docked no matter what I try. Anyone have anything similar or any tips?

I'm having the same problem and just got on here to see if anyone had dealt with this.

If I got a lemon I am not rebuying this...

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I think something is wrong with my dock.... no output to tv via hdmi to 2 different televisions. AV out works fine. Returning this POS.

With that said, handheld is great. Can't wait till they release the solo handheld in Feb.

toodles

Zero's Secretary
I think something is wrong with my dock.... no output to tv via hdmi to 2 different televisions. AV out works fine. Returning this POS.

With that said, handheld is great. Can't wait till they release the solo handheld in Feb.
I managed to get it to work by inserting the portable in fully, and then just slightly pulling it down on the left (HDMI) side. Took me a few tried until I had both video and sound, but it's working now and I dont plan on ever taking it out unless I gut the dock to put a rasp pi in.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I managed to get it to work by inserting the portable in fully, and then just slightly pulling it down on the left (HDMI) side. Took me a few tried until I had both video and sound, but it's working now and I dont plan on ever taking it out unless I gut the dock to put a rasp pi in.

Couldn't get it to work. I tried nudging it... nothing. If I have to deal with this on a regular basis, it's not worth the effort. Also, the controller feels cheap to me. I don't have the original AES stick to compare it to though. The Neo Geo CD stick feels like it is higher quality for example. Honestly I don't think the complete hardware is worth the $200... the 20 games is the real draw. At $130, handheld only, plus 20 games. That sounds like the better deal now. The dock and stick are not $70 worth.

Already got my return labels. The handheld seems great though. Might play through Metal Slug before I ship it back tomorrow. I will just wait until February for the handheld only version.

Try using a can of air on any non working input jacks. I was having issues with both my USB ports not reading the joystick (I knew it worked because I tested it on my ps3), but after spraying them with air, they work perfectly.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Mine came in today:

Ohhhh you've blown your cover, your going to cop the Fosters cat calls too now :P

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Pretty disappointed to hear the reports of the HDMI output not, well... outputting properly: forced 16:9 and overscan issues. Don't really fancy composite, as it's shit tbh.

This was going to be my 'AES' for the living room, with my actual AES already being hooked up to my CRT in my games room. I also, had no real plans to use this primarily as a handheld. Just on occasion.

Might just not open it and just sell it on, which is a shame, but hey...

Pretty disappointed to hear the reports of the HDMI output not, well... outputting properly: forced 16:9 and overscan issues. Don't really fancy composite, as it's shit tbh.

This was going to be my 'AES' for the living room, with my actual AES already being hooked up to my CRT in my games room. I also, had no real plans to use this primarily as a handheld. Just on occasion.

Might just not open it and just sell it on, which is a shame, but hey...

Why dont you just open it and see for yourself lol