Blazing Star just came out on iTunes for iPhone and iPad

Fogueman

PUNCH BULL, WIN STEAK!!!, ,
Shame that such a good work, including even scanline filters and pixel perfect graphics (I assume emulated), have been ruined by touch screen controls and the gameplay twisted, as you can move the ship faster with you finger, pathetic. I´m very dissapointed.

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
Strong work on the review, mate. I hadn't dropped by in awhile...glad to visit your site again!

Thanks mate, I appreciate it! I've not bee very active for a long time, will try and hang around here a bit more often again too! :)

Kaz

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
who gives a fuck?

i'm a big tym3r, wake me up when the US homecart version of this game is "discovered"

SSS

neo retired
Holy crap, SNKP actually listened to consumer input. This game received a major update today. There is now a fast touch mode (ship follows finger more closely) different leader board. There is now an auto fire mode and I think they implemented it perfectly. The ship fires continuously at a medium rate. Holding down A will allow to charge and release secondary shot. A much more relaxed tapping of A will bring out the full strength rapid fire. (IE for hellhound blue bullets)

+1 for snkp

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Holy crap, SNKP actually listened to consumer input. This game received a major update today. There is now a fast touch mode (ship follows finger more closely) different leader board. There is now an auto fire mode and I think they implemented it perfectly. The ship fires continuously at a medium rate. Holding down A will allow to charge and release secondary shot. A much more relaxed tapping of A will bring out the full strength rapid fire. (IE for hellhound blue bullets)

+1 for snkp

Awww snap! I was about to post about how the controls were just terrible and that they didn't work on touch screen at all, and how sad I was since blazing star is such an amazing shmup on the neo.

Sure giving the ship more speed changes the gameplay, but more importantly it should make the game actually playable on a phone!

Redownloading now.

Liq_Wurm

Krauser's Henchman

+1 for snkp

absolutely! the game plays much better and now much more accessible since the update, I like the new fast touch controls, and they even separated the leader boards for the purists out there. kudos to snkp!

Hawk

Crossed Swords Squire
Just picked it up for my Galaxy Nexus! I thought it was only out for Icrap. Gonna be killing my battery tonight!

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I know this thread hasn't been updated in a few months, but just an FYI...

I dusted off my icade and settled in to play some Blazing Star while watching football today, only to find that all of SNKP's iOS games are incompatible with iOS 7. Probably why they're on sale. Apparently they're working on a fix, but for now don't waste your money.

K1ngArth3r

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
I know this thread hasn't been updated in a few months, but just an FYI...

I dusted off my icade and settled in to play some Blazing Star while watching football today, only to find that all of SNKP's iOS games are incompatible with iOS 7. Probably why they're on sale. Apparently they're working on a fix, but for now don't waste your money.

Wish I read that before wasting my monies on Blazing Star and Metal Slug... Good job they were only 69p and £1.49 :)

Edit:

Metal Slug works fine, Blazing Star is screwed!

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
I get lucky and installed Gridlee on my iPad while it was in the app store. For those who don't know, it was basically a vehicle for sneaking MAME4iOS back into the app store. I totally forgot that I had done that, so I spend the afternoon setting that up and sticking some romz on there. Some of the later NG games don't run so smoothly, though. So hopefully SNKP fixes their shit.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I get lucky and installed Gridlee on my iPad while it was in the app store. For those who don't know, it was basically a vehicle for sneaking MAME4iOS back into the app store. I totally forgot that I had done that, so I spend the afternoon setting that up and sticking some romz on there. Some of the later NG games don't run so smoothly, though. So hopefully SNKP fixes their shit.

I totally forgot that I have that too. May I ask what program you used to effectively do the file browsing? What games are running well on it?

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
I totally forgot that I have that too. May I ask what program you used to effectively do the file browsing? What games are running well on it?

I'm using a program called "iFunBox", which is available for both PC and Mac. You just plug your iPad or iPhone into your computer, launch the program, and select "User Applications" on the left under "NeoRebel's iPad" (for example). Then, all of your apps show up in the main window. Double-click "Gridlee", then "Documents", then "roms" and just drag in whatever roms you want, zipped. If you want to run Neo games, you have to put the NeoGeo.zip bios file in there with the roms, and I had a heck of a time finding a bios file that worked.

I only have an iPad 2, so maybe with the faster processors of the newer models, things run better. For me, early Neo shooters run well. Andro Dunos, Zed Blade, Alpha Mission II, Aero Fighters II and 3. Games like Pulstar and Metal Slug X have slowdown, but I don't know how much of that is emulation and how much is just the way the game is. Windjammers and Mag Lord were both fine. Certainly any games from the 80's (talking about MAME games in general) should be fine. Early 90's are hit-or-miss, and late 90's and beyond are going to run slow. The only non-Neo game I've played so far is the original Strikers 1945, and it runs fine.

If you get an iCade, or better in my opinion, the iCade core (either way you have to mod it to upgrade the controls), then the iPad is an awesome MAME machine because of the high quality screen, and because you can easily rotate it to play games in TATE mode. Of course the same holds true of Android-based tablets, so I guess what I am saying is that tablets make great MAME machines.

A couple of suggestions would be to hit up the settings page and de-select "smoothed image" and select "scanline effect" in both the portrait and landscape sections. And if you do use an external controller, select "full screen" in both sections to remove the on-screen controls.

Chris

powerflower

Banned
Fuck apple and their stilish but programmed-to-die-after-warranty machines.

What pleasure can give to play a real game like those in a touchscreen?

Nothing beats the real deal.

True words! Who wants to play games with terrible lag that are meant to be played lag-free aka real system on a CRT? On iShit you have Emu lag, LCD lag and *drumroll* touchscreen lag. Great!!

Look how Cave has watered down their schmups to be playeble on IPoop.
Now this is what has to be happening bofore doing gaming wrong:

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
I thought powerflower was locked in the Hyphen.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Thanks so much for the info Jibbajaba - I'm gonna give it a try. @ anyone talking shit on neo geo games on the iPhone- As if I don't have these games in a dozen different other formats. I want it on my phone too.

Jack Burton

Loyal Neo-Disciple
The icade 8-bitty nes style controller is pretty nice as well with gridlee. Much mor portable. I have an ipad 3. Most neo games run pretty well. I was just playing ssvs. :)

I'm using a program called "iFunBox", which is available for both PC and Mac. You just plug your iPad or iPhone into your computer, launch the program, and select "User Applications" on the left under "NeoRebel's iPad" (for example). Then, all of your apps show up in the main window. Double-click "Gridlee", then "Documents", then "roms" and just drag in whatever roms you want, zipped. If you want to run Neo games, you have to put the NeoGeo.zip bios file in there with the roms, and I had a heck of a time finding a bios file that worked.

I only have an iPad 2, so maybe with the faster processors of the newer models, things run better. For me, early Neo shooters run well. Andro Dunos, Zed Blade, Alpha Mission II, Aero Fighters II and 3. Games like Pulstar and Metal Slug X have slowdown, but I don't know how much of that is emulation and how much is just the way the game is. Windjammers and Mag Lord were both fine. Certainly any games from the 80's (talking about MAME games in general) should be fine. Early 90's are hit-or-miss, and late 90's and beyond are going to run slow. The only non-Neo game I've played so far is the original Strikers 1945, and it runs fine.

If you get an iCade, or better in my opinion, the iCade core (either way you have to mod it to upgrade the controls), then the iPad is an awesome MAME machine because of the high quality screen, and because you can easily rotate it to play games in TATE mode. Of course the same holds true of Android-based tablets, so I guess what I am saying is that tablets make great MAME machines.

A couple of suggestions would be to hit up the settings page and de-select "smoothed image" and select "scanline effect" in both the portrait and landscape sections. And if you do use an external controller, select "full screen" in both sections to remove the on-screen controls.

Chris

It doesn't look like a bad port but a controller for the ipod touch or iphone is a must. It would be really difficult to use the touch pad. I still have trouble playing Doom and Wolf3d on the ipod touch with the touch pad lol.

CaseyTappy

Tung's Hair Stylist
God damn , I should have read this thread before I bought Blazing Star .
As I found out this games is compatible with the iCade I just bought the game but it doesn't work on iOs7 .
Those Fuckers still sell it without warning .

Fuck you SNK suckmore, I wants me 80 cents back :mad:

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
God damn , I should have read this thread before I bought Blazing Star .
As I found out this games is compatible with the iCade I just bought the game but it doesn't work on iOs7 .
Those Fuckers still sell it without warning .

Fuck you SNK suckmore, I wants me 80 cents back :mad:

It really is fucking bullshit. That shit should get pulled from the AppStore.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
It really is fucking bullshit. That shit should get pulled from the AppStore.

I actually bought two of their games at regular price a while back. A bit after upgrading to the new OS, I launched them and was like WHAT THE HELL? I am really surprised they have not been fixed yet with all the negative reviews. I'm sure they realize everyone has iOS7 right??

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
I actually bought two of their games at regular price a while back. A bit after upgrading to the new OS, I launched them and was like WHAT THE HELL? I am really surprised they have not been fixed yet with all the negative reviews. I'm sure they realize everyone has iOS7 right??

Dude, I sent SNKP an e-mail about it a while back. They don't give a shit.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I hope they are using all this money to release Garou MOTW 2 in the arcade and port it to PS3 with scanline emulation and perfect netcode.

RetroGiga68k

New Challenger
I sent SNKP an e-mail about it a while back. They don't give a shit.

The publisher may not, but at least this iOS developer has shown solid customer support in the past. (At least in my experience... a few years ago this same dev quickly fixed an iOS4 incompatibility bug for me for their iOS Raiden Legacy, about a week after I described the bug to them.) Not sure if Blazing Star can be as easily fixed or not, but if anyone wants to try their luck, the dev's twitter says currently the dev accepts iOS bug reports via support@dotemu.com