1996 McDonalds Hamburger

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
"I teach a workshop titled Healthy Choices for Children. It’s a class for parents seeking solutions to how to improve the way they eat. It’s about the alternative food market, organics, and the top ten food additives to avoid and why, menu planning and more. It’s a 3 session fabulously informative interactive class.

Below is my absolutely favorite prop.

People are always astounded when I share this.

I have used this as show and tell for a very long
time.

Burger1996.jpg

This is a hamburger from McDonalds that I purchased in 1996.

That was 12 years ago.

Note that it looks exactly like it did the very day I bought it.

The flecks on the burger are crumbs from the bun.

The burger is starting to crumble a bit.

It has the oddest smell.

The paper and bag in the backround is circa 2008 – to add decor to the photo. My friend Robyn’s idea.

Burgerkeeper.jpg

This is the retro welch’s grape juice plastic container I have always kept it in. People always ask me – what did you do to preserve it ?

Nothing – it preserved itself.

Ladies, Gentleman, and children alike – this is a chemical food. There is absolutely no nutrition here.

Not one ounce of food value. Or at least value for why we are eating in the first place.

Burger2008.jpg

The burger on the right, off the paper is a 2008 burger. I had to buy it to get the groovy paper and bag.

The meat is a tad darker, the bun a little less golden but in 12 years it will look exactly like that too.

Do you find this horrifying?

McDonalds fills an empty space in your belly. It does nothing to nourish the cell, it is not a nutritious food.

It is not a treat.

I marvel at how McDonalds has infiltrated our entire world. A hamburger here tastes exactly the same in China or some around the world place.

It’s cloned.

Makes you wonder doesn’t it?

Do me a favor and share this."

http://bestofmotherearth.com/2008/09/24/1996-mcdonalds-hamburger.html

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
No surprise. That image is a good reason why I don't eat at alot of fastfood joints anymore.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I remember seeing this a few years ago. Pretty disgusting. I don't know how parents can feed their kids this garbage in good conscience.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
I didn't eat one of those in about 20 years, so please excuse my question but isn't there supposed to be some sort of sauce on it? Or has it always been just a dry bun with a patty?

Edit:
Chicken nuggets are interesting, too. I once watched an experiment where some guy showed a bunch of kids exactly how chicked nuggets are made. It was disgusting and the kids were shocked, but when they were ready to be eaten none of the kids refused to actually eat them.

Last edited:

hoop-jones

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
This is unbelievable and actually quite disgusting...
I haven´t been to a McDonald´s in years and i´ll try too keep it that way in the future.

I guess that you normally just care more about food when you get older, when i was in my 20s i´d go there at least twice a week and this burger story couldn´t have shocked me at all.

The lack of fast food in my life made me lose about 20kg of weight during the last 2 years... women are the first to recognize when you get back in shape...:D

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
Man I could do with a cheeseburger right now! Although preferably not one that is years old.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
You get what you pay for...If you purchase a burger at what? .69 USD come on...
I commend what you're doing but economics plays a big role in what people consume.Eating a healthy diet can be pretty expensive.
I'M IN NO WAY AM AN ADVOCATE of fast food,junk food,etc but if it's cheap it's going to sell and psychologically satisfy.
BB

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
So I guess there is no nutritional value in honey or syrup? Neither of those rot or spoil.

I get what you are trying to say, but stuff doesn't have to rot to have nutritional value.
If that kind of imagery gets the point across, I guess it helps more than it harms.

I'd rather just Tax fat people.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
i remember awhile back some other lady did the same thing but for some reason, chose to let the hamburger sit on some counter in her kitchen for a few years.

good ol' preservatives

PRO TIP: when preservatives cause food to sit in your system for too long, they become cancerous.

enjoy your cancer McDonald's b1tch3s!! hhaaa haaa haaaaaa!!!

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
To be honest, whoever thinks Micky D's food does anything good for you is an idiot. You go there to stuff your fat face with low qualitly food and you know and love it. If you want something more nutrious, go to Subway or whatever.

That being said, I could go for a boigah right now.

JammaGuy

Previously I-d-o-s-k-8
Thats crazy! Now I've seen McDonald's french fries that were x years old that preserved themselves, and I thought that was pretty gross, but a burger as well?! WOW!!!

My only problem is that It's near all I eat, and I have to say that there is nutrition value.. 28 grams of protein to examine the median value. Your body will process McDonald's hamburgers as well as use them to their purpose, so.. preservation is gross, but I have to disagree with the fact you say there is no nutritional value.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
On my way to mcdonalds to grab a burger, you pussies.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
a whole lot of people posting totally skipped dolphin's link apparently, read it, interesting stuff!

it's still cool to hate on mcdonald's we all realize it's not very nutritional even if this chemical BS has been debunked.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
a whole lot of people posting totally skipped dolphin's link apparently, read it, interesting stuff!

it's still cool to hate on mcdonald's we all realize it's not very nutritional even if this chemical BS has been debunked.

Today I learned.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
i swear im going to mcds for that burger now, thanks for the craving food raver guy

aria

Former Moderator
Nothing surprising, even if the hamburger isn't totally on the level, what you're putting in your body at a place like McD's isn't very smart. I mean, if you're going to abuse your body with unheathy food there are much better and tastier things than the mediocre crap big chains peddle --which in turn is overpowered by various chemicals, flavorants and salt in order to make sure the same item tastes the same at all stores.

Why do you think coffee snobs dislike Starbucks? While they can be irritating, they actually have an interesting point: In order to keep that flavor the same at all stores, with all the different beans they need to source (no one farmer can do it), they over-roast things a bit to keep the flavor in the same zone.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
McDonalds is a pretty poor choice for a burger. In the states I know they don't really exist, fish and chips stores that is, but you can get a huge burger thats made right there on the spot for about 3/4 the price. No processed rubbish. Yet I still see people bang on about quarter pounders. Eugh. Okay burgers, not traditionally healthy but at least elsewhere you can identify what you're eating.

Chain stores dont offer good coffee, you want to go to a proper cafe with a barista that can make a latte so smooth you can drink it like water.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
I like to think of things this way: Enjoy yourself whenever you can, because you may die soon.

Or this way: ... a man hath no better thing under the sun, than to eat, and to drink, and to be merry....

So, if I'm in the mood form some Mickey D's, then I won't let that stop me.

Last edited: