Aero Fighters 3 - A New MVS Shockbox Art

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
Anyone else interested in something a little more "official"-looking than Southtown's current offerings?

NG_AF3_Final.jpg

Feel free to suggest improvements/changes.

Update: 06/17
I've made some quality improvements (with a big thanks to Arcade-TV for the better scan source).
I hope to share via Southtown soon, but currently having some issues (uploading produces "internal server error").
In the meantime, I'm still open to critiques & ideas. :)

Thanks for having a look.

Last edited:

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Anyone else interested in something a little more "official"-looking than Southtown's current offerings?

NG_AF3_Med.jpg

If so, I'd be happy to share (once I figure out how). :)
Or, feel free to suggest improvements/changes. Thanks for having a look.

I dunno... it needs more........

DRAMA.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
In the interest of provenance, I should mention that I obtained the template & game synopsis from Southtown Homebrew & source scan from forum member Arcade-TV.

Layout, sizing, text font & accompanying affectations were settled by yours truly with heavy inspiration from big brother (the NGH version, that is).

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Nice! Resize it and put it in a snaplock case. You, too, can have a 30k homecart on your shelf.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
Uploaded to SouthTown & hopefully available soon if anyone would like 'em...

AF3_JS.jpg

My Aero Fighters 3 - Final layout.

MS1_JS.jpg

Re-re-worked NeoCverA/BigBear MS1. Logos are no longer cut off at the bottom & they've been straightened. Artwork is centered (left/right) & meg-count is in red (personal preference/easier to read). Marco's left foot extends outside the box (as in the Home cart artwork), and other subtle tweaks.

If anyone would be willing to provide a high-res scan of Aero Fighters 2 artwork, I'd also like to make an insert to match my AF3 styling.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I love your AF3, but would like some more business on the back, the music is busy in that game and it is a bit intense at times. :D

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
I love your AF3, but would like some more business on the back, the music is busy in that game and it is a bit intense at times. :D
Thanks KP.
With that in mind, here's my "B" version. Definitely more more going on, but maybe a little hard on the eyes.
AF3_B.jpg

Then, putting out the fire leaves me with this "C" version. The empty space is better dealt with, but maybe a bit too lacking in color.
AF3_C.jpg

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Thanks KP.
With that in mind, here's my "B" version. Definitely more more going on, but maybe a little hard on the eyes.
AF3_B.jpg

Then, putting out the fire leaves me with this "C" version. The empty space is better dealt with, but maybe a bit too lacking in color.
AF3_C.jpg

oh my! i love both of those, ace stuff brotha!!!!

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
My latest arrangement: BAMA. I don't know if SouthTown is still parsing submissions, but I sent it to 'em.
BAMAEX.jpg

Corrected Yellow (Thanks Xian)
BAM_Yello2.jpg

Possible correction: insert with non-"EX" Title (Thanks Qwerty 9999)
BAMA_Yelogo.jpg

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
My latest arrangement: BAMA. I don't know if SouthTown is still parsing submissions, but I sent it to 'em.
BAMAEX.jpg

Nice, but make sure you use the corrected yellow. We got rid of this shade a long time ago.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
Nice, but make sure you use the corrected yellow. We got rid of this shade a long time ago.
Thanks for the heads-up. I actually like the corrected yellow better, but it seemed really washed-out against the white inside the meg-boxes.
SouthTown's prints have been super-dark IME though, so maybe it'll work alright. I just hate to keep re-submitting when they haven't said anything about the ones I sent 3 months ago.

Corrected Yellow now added to the previously-quoted post.

Why bama ex?
Frankly, I'm not sure. :confused: After looking around, it seems SNK had BAMA and BAMA-EX marquees, but I'm not sure if they actually had a separate "EX" cart release.
If it's not accurate to refer to the MVS cart as "EX", I'll need to correct that too.

Have a look at the last image for the non-"EX" logo version.

... Now, which should be the "final" version?

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Depends on if he gets reelected this November. If not, definitely EX.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Can we get a AF3 30k version? Maybe have all the writing in goldleaf, printed on US Mint grade paper?

Otherwise, fine work indeed :)

Qwerty 9999

Crazed MVS Addict
Frankly, I'm not sure. :confused: After looking around, it seems SNK had BAMA and BAMA-EX marquees, but I'm not sure if they actually had a separate "EX" cart release.
If it's not accurate to refer to the MVS cart as "EX", I'll need to correct that too.

Have a look at the last image for the non-"EX" logo version.

... Now, which should be the "final" version?
Nice!:buttrock:

don't know why they put that "ex" on some artworks of bama, I've never seen it on pb2.

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
Keep'em coming these are great! There's a lot of inserts that could use a touch up on Southtowns site...

loopyeddie

Ukyo's Doctor
Oh and as far as submitting to Southtown goes, it is better to upload it yourself somewhere and then contact Dan with the link. I guess the submission protocol is not very reliable when the image is 5MB+.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
Hey LE, that SW3 is quite nice. Also, thanks for the tip on getting these hosted. Is the email listed on-site the way to go, or is there a "direct" line?

P.S.- I've done a rearrangement for Zupapa! (Based on Xian Xi's mod of Big Bear's). Some stars were moved or removed to try to balance & fit the simpler theme. The Zook also moved to the spine.

Zupapa_SBA.jpg

It's still littered with stars (it wouldn't be Zupapa! without 'em), but per section they should hopefully appear balanced and not overwhelming.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
The latest, and since BBB needed a Euro layout...

EuroBBB_2_zps4e7f7a04.jpg

Artwork sourced from Le Geek's layout, screenshots from NeoGeoKult and cheesy description by me.

I've been unsuccessful in contacting the SouthTown crew, but still interested in seeing/buying these as prints should they happen to drop by here. :)

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
These are great, I'd like to eventually get all my MVS inserts over to these AES design ones, keep it up!:D

Jonny l3lanka

Morden's Lackey
Keep'em coming these are great! There's a lot of inserts that could use a touch up on Southtowns site...

Agreed!! Very nice work!

Neo Bomberman and Blue's Journey could be candidates.. have a look and you'll see what I mean

-D-

Zero's Secretary
Does anyone have a scan of a Sonic Wings 2 shockbox insert? Everything Southtown has is Aero Fighters 2. I just happened to get European carts for both the games, and also being the owner of Sonic Wings SFC & Sonic Wings Special on Saturn; I guess I just want series name uniformity on all of them.