Anyone here collect toys/Action Figures?

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
This is their first time doing this, so it's all Undiscovered Country. You will be able to tell the next guy, when whatever they do after Unicron (assuming this meets its goals and pays off for Hasbro) gets announced.

Did a little more digging, and it appears that it isn't the first time Haslab has done this. Apparently they released a Masterpiece Jabba's Sail Barge and it went off without a hitch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCP2YAZmnAA

And they do offer a 30 day refund if I change my mind, and apparently they don't have any issues with a release schedule. From what I read/saw on youtube the Sail Barge looked like it wasn't going to back, but then in the last week, preorders shot up and it surpassed by something like 3500 units. So, outlook so far is pretty good for Unicron.

So I dunno... I still have 30 days to make my decision, but I think I'm gonna pull the trigger. My wife is gonna fuckin' hate me. I may even have to sell a guitar.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
If it's Hasbro who is running the show, you have nothing to worry about.

What guitars do you have?

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,

Ditto. It would cripple me to have to sell off a guitar to let more toys flow in, I could handle some of the lesser stuff but most of mine I've had for years!

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year

Nothing super fancy. I have a 03 Gibson Les Paul special, tv yellow and it's a double cut. One of my Holy grail guitars. It's not as old as I'd like but I was able to get it so I did. Though I took out the bridge p90 and replaced it with a Dimarzio super D p90 size humbucker. They're both cream color instead of black tho.

Also have a 1971 Yamaha FG180 nippon gakki red label, (like the one used by Elliott Smith). But I think I'll probably never sell that one.

I also have an LTD EC1000 deluxe, with the abalone binding. It's not super nice but I like it.

Then a slew of other odds and ends, but those are my faves.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
With the help of some shelves and signage, fan Todd Olexo has turned his basement display into a re-creation of Toys "Я" Us through the ages:

todd1.jpg

todd2.jpg

todd3.jpg

todd4.jpg

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Kind of jealous of the TMNT display. Also equally creeped out.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
What's interesting about the labels is that it allows his family to easily and quickly add up how much he spent on his collection in a best case scenario...if he got all of that new at retail, and none at inflated secondary market prices. His girl can walk down the aisle, "$4.99, $4.99, $4.99, $29.99, $14.99, $29.99, $5.99, $5.99, $5.99, $49.99..." and really get a sense of how much of their disposable income he has sunk into retreating back into his own childhood.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
After his wife leaves him, that room is probably where they will find his body, suicide by heroin overdose. Or maybe I'm projecting.

It's insane how far off the mark people are when it comes to life's purpose.

PROTIP: it's not remaking a fucking toy aisle.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
It's insane how far off the mark people are when it comes to life's purpose.

PROTIP: it's not remaking a fucking toy aisle.
We are now going on two entire generations of defective people, and I have no idea how it happened. In the prior thousands of years of recorded civilization, people grew up and accepted becoming adults. "Put aside childish things" and all that. But now, really starting with the kids that came up in the '80s, huge chunks of the population have rejected all that completely. Kind of like midlife crisis has set in early, like around age 21, and then lasts for the entire rest of their lives.

And it's not like I'm excluding myself from that either, although I have intermittent moments of lucidity. It's bizarre, and I wonder how long it will last. If there will be some future generation that rejects all this and self-corrects somehow.

fake

15 Year Member
We are now going on two entire generations of defective people, and I have no idea how it happened. In the prior thousands of years of recorded civilization, people grew up and accepted becoming adults. "Put aside childish things" and all that. But now, really starting with the kids that came up in the '80s, huge chunks of the population have rejected all that completely. Kind of like midlife crisis has set in early, like around age 21, and then lasts for the entire rest of their lives.

And it's not like I'm excluding myself from that either, although I have intermittent moments of lucidity. It's bizarre, and I wonder how long it will last. If there will be some future generation that rejects all this and self-corrects somehow.

I'd say collecting games and figures is more benign that coming home from a hard day's work, sitting in your easy chair to read the paper, complaining about your commie coworker, screaming at little Timmy to not be such a faggot, and beating your wife with your belt.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I'd say collecting games and figures is more benign that coming home from a hard day's work, sitting in your easy chair to read the paper, complaining about your commie coworker, screaming at little Timmy to not be such a faggot, and beating your wife with your belt.

Of course you'd say that. And that's how you rationalize it. Before manbabies, every guy beat women with belts.

I like toys, too. I just don't understand why more people of our generation aren't able to step outside themselves for one second and think, "Huh, this is weird."

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

2 generations? The manbabies go back deep, and many manbabies are enthusiastic to espouse what a man is. Maybe the hypocrisy is running deep here when I say that. I knew a guy (dead now) who railed on me for playing video games as a teen, but he collected model trains. like fucking choochoo! Tell me more about manhood. He didn't even have a real job. And he was a piece of shit to his woman and family.

fake

15 Year Member
Of course you'd say that. And that's how you rationalize it. Before manbabies, every guy beat women with belts.

I like toys, too. I just don't understand why more people of our generation aren't able to step outside themselves for one second and think, "Huh, this is weird."

And every guy of the past two generations collects toys and games?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
And every guy of the past two generations collects toys and games?
No. Many are worthless in completely different ways. Toys are only one. And I'm guilty of a bunch. Games, comics, etc. But there are more. Most rooted in some weird nostalgia. It's like early onset midlife crisis that never ends.

2 generations? The manbabies go back deep, and many manbabies are enthusiastic to espouse what a man is. Maybe the hypocrisy is running deep here when I say that. I knew a guy (dead now) who railed on me for playing video games as a teen, but he collected model trains. like fucking choochoo! Tell me more about manhood. He didn't even have a real job. And he was a piece of shit to his woman and family.
Yeah, the model train guy. But see, in his day, he probably had to keep that train thing kind of quiet or face being judged by neighbors or co-workers. But nobody judges anyone for anything anymore. A couple generations ago, you never would have encountered a 40 year-old who would tell you they loved My Little Pony or whatever with the kind of defiance today's nerds have, like they dare you to say boo about it.

For example, I doubt saner is any different in real life than he presents himself here. But he could not have survived a couple generations ago. Society would have chewed him up.

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
No. Many are worthless in completely different ways. Toys are only one. And I'm guilty of a bunch. Games, comics, etc. But there are more. Most rooted in some weird nostalgia. It's like early onset midlife crisis that never ends.

Yeah, the model train guy. But see, in his day, he probably had to keep that train thing kind of quiet or face being judged by neighbors or co-workers. But nobody judges anyone for anything anymore. A couple generations ago, you never would have encountered a 40 year-old who would tell you they loved My Little Pony or whatever with the kind of defiance today's nerds have, like they dare you to say boo about it.

For example, I doubt saner is any different in real life than he presents himself here. But he could not have survived a couple generations ago. Society would have chewed him up.

People like to rail on millennials and the young adults of today (Gen Z or whatever) but the baby boomer generation was the absolute worst. Bunch of selfish fagits addicted to Fox News, lacking basic critical thinking skills, lazy parents, greedy hoarders of wealth, helping to ruin the world for future generations. The 20 and 30 somethings of today are infinitely preferable in my book, even though they may not conform to typical gender stereotypes. They are being handed a raw deal in terms of housing, jobs, upward mobility prospects, etc, often through no fault of their own. It's no wonder many have retreated to childish pursuits in an attempt to delay the stark reality of modern adulthood.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

30 years ago saner would have been "Sa Naitosuto-ka-" (or サナー, for short), a serial killer who preys on school girls. Today, his fantasies can be explored non-violently.

fake

15 Year Member

My point was that not all men of previous generations were wife beaters and not all men of the past two generations are nostalgia hoarders. Sounds like you agree with the former but not the latter.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member

I cringed at this sentence because it's so god damn true.

-SD-

Camel Slug
I built this...

uRGLNon.jpg

0iwnXap.jpg

1F64GV5.jpg

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Nice! That series catches my eye every time I see it, but I've been able to resist pulling the trigger. MotU was probably my #4 interest as a kid behind Star Wars, GI Joe, and Transformers. But, hey, if Disney buys Hasbro (God fucking forbid), it could still be #1!

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Pretty sweet! I read Action Figure Barbeque's review of that a while back and he really liked it too. $250 though, yikes!