What Beat 'em Ups are you playing? Daily/Weekly check

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Just got in a Powered Gear CPS2 B board, so I've been playing some of that recently.

Mr.Bojangles

War Room Troll
The original Streets Of Rage for the Genesis. I've gotten so good at the game that most times are just speed runs to see just how fast I can make it through while also maintaining the highest score possible. I love everything about this game. How it literally feels like the streets, the music, the character selection, and just how bold a beat em up it was for it's time. Before it, home versions of beat em ups didnt have the balls to pull off the stuff this game did, and this game did it in spades.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Back on Violent Storm, still inconsistent on stage 3, but made it to stage 5 this time, died at the boss.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Does D&D : Shadow over Mystara count as a beat 'em up? I think so.

Just been collecting treasures on the Steam version. Almost complete.

Last edited:

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
We getting close lads:

RAqiyMBl.jpg

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
But theres a second loop.

1 loop is more than enough for me. Someone told me that the USA has the extends turned off, I need to look into that.

So maybe it’s just me but it seems like once most of the bosses get to half health after the second one, they speed up and change attack patterns. That throw loop you do on drigger, once he gets around 50/60 percent, he instantly gets up. There’s a real fine line and you have to be quick to keep him in that loop.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Yeah I believe the extends are off for US/EU versions but no 2nd loop aka violent round if memory serves right. So in that sense it is balanced around 1 loop, not violent round.

JPN aka version JAC on hardest is what I usually play since I like the violent round 2nd loop.JPN default has 1 credit 2lifes, extra life first at 500000, every 1,000,000 after. Those extends are definitely balanced around the 2nd loop imo. I think changing the US version to extra lives and having it loop is fair tbh.

From my experience the AI is a little harder on US/Eu along with food being different foods that heal less vs jpn.

But yeah once bosses get below half health they get up a lot faster. Julius is the fastest at 3-4 frames making his loop pretty tight. Good thing is if you don't want to learn that timing you can just grab him, squeeze him twice, jump twice in the air and grab again. Pretty easy loop.

One of these days would love to get the real arcade board.

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
ec2b2b019028945af69369952fe3d93d.jpg

Got a 4P Swing CP on deck...then I’ll finally be able to put these to use-4p Ninja Baseball Bat Man!

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Good thing is if you don't want to learn that timing you can just grab him, squeeze him twice, jump twice in the air and grab again. Pretty easy loop.

Yeah, that Boris strat against Julius is legit. When I first cleared loop 1 with Wade I would rely on the pipe and pretty much just crossed my fingers.

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Back on Violent Storm, still inconsistent on stage 3, but made it to stage 5 this time, died at the boss.
Holy hell that's impressive!
Violent Storm is fantastic.

I've been super casually playing beatemups with my girlfriend, and recently did Vendetta, which I think is the prequel to Violent Storm. Love the series

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

I've been super casually playing beatemups with my girlfriend, and recently did Vendetta, which I think is the prequel to Violent Storm. Love the series

ChuChu Flamingo posted a video of clearing both loops on hardest difficulty.

Played some Nekketsu Oyako last weekend. Fun little game, lots to laugh about.

It's a fun game, but I can't say its ever made me laugh.

How can I laugh at my video game tomorrow when I can't even smile today?

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member

It’s a great game, while the forum was down I did manage a clear.

Hairlesswookiee

just another sazae fake account
I sat down for a few hours playing Paprium yesterday. Despite the controversy surrounding the game I find that it's actually a really good beat 'em up. There's some pretty bizarre stuff going on with some of the gameplay, but overall it's pretty competent and I'm sure I'll be revisiting for the different paths, unlock able stuff, etc.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
I see that the recent release of Super Double Dragon has the ability to adjust the game speed all the way up to x2, and it handles it correctly while keeping the music and sounds at their proper speed. I had been looking forward to DDA and had zero desire for SDD but that feature may make it worth picking up.

Anyone tried it yet?

promking

Marked Wolf
Played through 64th Street: A Detective Story and Knuckle Bash on my supergun.

Love how you can throw enemies at the wall in 64th street.