Halloween Movie-watching List:

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
so this is what i've got lined-up for Saturday:

Suspiria (my personal favorite Horror film)
The Nightmare Before Christmas (just bought the Blu-ray)
Attack the Block (something new--and actually pretty awesome)
Nosferatu (original score---something old)
Army of Darkness (yes, yes, and yes)

if we have time i was leaning towards my David Lynch personalized version of Eraserhead as well

while that may not categorically be classified as a "horror" film; it is perhaps the most unsettling film i've ever seen so it would definitely fit the mood

Steve

The Wonder Years,
It's been a couple Halloweens now since I viewed any of the Halloween films.

Might have to go with the original and Producer's Cut H6 version in the next couple days...

Kaioh

Sakura's Bank Manager
I love The Beyond, but it's not on many peoples favorite lists.

Monster Squad is a childhood favorite and I still love it today!

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Suspiria is always an excellent choice, it's one of my fave movies.

So far I have on my stack:

Exorcist 3

La Terza Madre (my wife will hate it, let's see how far we'll get into the movie... it's the third part of Argento's Mother trilogy and quite gory)

Halloween

Hellbound (Hellraiser II, the best of them all IMO)

...and maybe Braindead to lighten up the mood a little. :D

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
I love The Beyond, but it's not on many peoples favorite lists.

Fulci is my personal favorite Horror Director

i only excluded him in my list because this is a list of films i'll be watching with a group of people and i can admit that Fulci's style isn't for everyone

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I liked Deep Red more than Suspiria. I loved the mirror reveal. Stuff like that always captures my imagination.

By the way, I saw Giallo a few months ago, and it was fucking terrible. Holy shit was it awful. Not only has it put me off whatever future movies Argento might make, but I think it was enough to make me skip future Adrian Brody movies as well.

Shit-
ty

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
La Terza Madre (my wife will hate it, let's see how far we'll get into the movie... it's the third part of Argento's Mother trilogy and quite gory)

Argento is the saddest film-maker to me

he was a man of extreme genre-brilliance who lost his audience-captivity in the film medium to time

i liked Inferno more than most but Mother of Tears was just another vain attempt at capturing what alluring Horror appeal Argento once had with his fans

casting Asia as the lead role didn't help matters much either

she's a lovely women and a competent actress but she's not a lead-role in any way at all

it's nepotism at its finest and worst

Last edited:

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
By the way, I saw Giallo a few months ago, and it was fucking terrible. Holy shit was it awful. Not only has it put me off whatever future movies Argento might make, but I think it was enough to make me skip future Adrian Brody movies as well.

Shit-
ty

still haven't seen it and likely won't ever

i have too much respect for Argento's Glory Days to tarnish those memories by his modern day films

his version of Phantom of the Opera almost killed my enjoyment of films entirely

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
For me, Argento's biggest contribution, and what I will always love him most for, is co-writing Once Upon a Time in the West. Generally speaking, I've never been a huge western fan, and I definitely love horror above western as a genre a hundred times over, but OUTitW is on a whole other level to about 99.9% of any movies ever made, anywhere.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Generally speaking, I've never been a huge western fan

neither am i

but i definitely agree with that aforementioned post

there's something about Italians and Western films that "click" with me

Once Upon a Time in the West; The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, and Django are the few Western films i truly enjoy

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Yeah I'd have to easily rank OUTitW as my favorite western, so fucking awesome.

As far as halloween goes I'm thinking:

Trick r Treat
Halloween
Zombie
Shaun of the Dead
House
Bride of Frankenstein or The Mummy

I think that's a pretty solid line up and it covers all the bases.

Might have to throw The Lost Boys in there somewhere though.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Just been watching a lot of Carpenter on Instant lately,

Prince of Darkness
In the Mouth of Madness
Village of the Damned

all that I've seen for the first time. I remember thinking Village looked stupid as hell when I was, what, 7? Now that I've grown up it's just...middling. Especially after coming off from ItMoM. Like I said in the Movie thread, Carpenter was easily a director ahead of his time.

Got The Fog and The Ward lined up next...The Ward is Carpenter's first flick since Ghosts of Mars, and it's on Instant, soooo...heads up, guys.

Only non-Carpenter horror flicks in my queue are The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1919) and Basket Case.

Just got back from Ghostbusters at Regal tonight, the only time in my life I want a packed theater (and ideally full of fans, duh), and only four people in it.

all in all I wish I had friends (who have my interests and would like to watch horror movies with me)

edit: been watching a lot of Tales from the Crypt, too. I have four more seasons to go through and I'm done, if I'm not partying with wasabi Saturday then that'll be my Crypt day.

Last edited:

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
I'll only have a few hours to spare so...

Halloween (1978)
Halloween 2 (1981)
Maniac (1980)

It's a bloody slasher night, boyos.

Andy Is A Bastard

A Bastard, Andy Is,
Hellbound (Hellraiser II, the best of them all IMO)

Here, here! There's just something unsettling about Leviathan and the doctor, not to mention the design of Hell itself.

As for movies for Halloween, Night of the Living Dead and Halloween are traditional ones for me. To mix it up, I'm going to watch Onibaba as well (the atmosphere in that movie is unnerving as all get out) and Cemetery Man (lighthearted and disturbing at the same time).

@LoneSage

Glad to see love for Carpenter here, too (ItMoM is in my top 3 for Carpenter, very under-appreciated IMO.)

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
i'd take Fright Night over Lost Boys any day
Yeah, I liked Lost Boys back in the day, but it hasn't really aged well for me.

Got The Fog and The Ward lined up next...The Ward is Carpenter's first flick since Ghosts of Mars, and it's on Instant, soooo...heads up, guys
You know I love Carpenter, but Fog is a little overrated, imo. I kept waiting for the movie to come together more than it ended up doing. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad or anything, but it's definitely no Halloween or The Thing.

Carpenter and Hill talk a lot in the commentary about how they finished shooting The Fog, cut it together and the movie just didn't work. So they went back and re-shot and re-cut a lot of it. I feel like it kind of shows in the final picture, and that maybe they should have kept going.

It's not that I hate it, but I somehow missed ever seeing it at any point growing up and so just bought the dvd blind, having heard great things about it. It had good parts and I don't want to sound like I didn't enjoy it, but at the end, I had a slight feeling of, "Is that it?" Maybe it would be different if I had grown up with the movie.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Argento is the saddest film-maker to me

he was a man of extreme genre-brilliance who lost his audience-captivity in the film medium to time

i liked Inferno more than most but Mother of Tears was just another vain attempt at capturing what alluring Horror appeal Argento once had with his fans

La Terza Madre is the result of a tired and worn-out Argento who wanted to top it all off with lots of "modern-style" violence and gore. It can't hold a candle to his old stuff, namely Suspiria, but also Phenomena (director) and The Church (producer/co-director), two quite underrated movies IMO.

I should add that I have a thing for gritty high-level trash...

Ah well, I merely chose Terza Madre for shock effects, knowing my wife we'll end up with another movie after the strangling-with-guts scene, then I'll swap it with Suspiria and the evening will go as planned. :smirk:

Here, here! There's just something unsettling about Leviathan and the doctor, not to mention the design of Hell itself.

It's a dark and IMO very inspiring movie, watched the VHS tape I had literally to death. Excellent stuff.

"The doctor is in. I recommend... ...amputation!"

:D

You know I love Carpenter, but Fog is a little overrated, imo. I kept waiting for the movie to come together more than it ended up doing. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad or anything, but it's definitely no Halloween or The Thing.

Carpenter and Hill talk a lot in the commentary about how they finished shooting The Fog, cut it together and the movie just didn't work. So they went back and re-shot and re-cut a lot of it. I feel like it kind of shows in the final picture, and that maybe they should have kept going.

It's not that I hate it, but I somehow missed ever seeing it at any point growing up and so just bought the dvd blind, having heard great things about it. It had good parts and I don't want to sound like I didn't enjoy it, but at the end, I had a slight feeling of, "Is that it?" Maybe it would be different if I had grown up with the movie.

In the audio commentary, John tells us that the first version of the movie contained no scenes of violence whatsoever. He and Debra Hill wanted to make a classical ghost story with gothic elements, then Embassy Pictures intervened and asked for more action. All the scenes where the ghosts physically attack people (including worm face) were inserted afterwards and there are a few nasty atmosphere breaks in them.

But that's okay, I mean, without the action scenes, the movie cost less than a Million, IMO it's amazing to see what Carpenter made of it. Instead of most other budget film makers, he chose a widescreen format, lighting and sound are tops.

And then there's Carpenter's soundtrack, made on old detuned analog synths... good stuff.

The Fog will always have a special place in my personal movie hall of fame. Yeah, it's no Halloween but also no Ghosts of Mars, thank Buddha for that.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Yeah, I do like the Fog score a lot.

On the other hand, I think Ghosts of Mars is hugely underrated. I don't think The Fog is a better movie. Ghosts of Mars has a lot going for it. The story is vintage 1950s EC horror, and the movie's structure has a hint of Rashomon. It's also the first Cowboys vs. Indians story in the last 50 years that's told completely and unapologetically from the perspective of the cowboys. It's different and interesting. I really don't get the hate.

Vampires, on the other hand, wasn't so great. If you'd wanted to compare Fog to Vampires, then yeah, I'd have agreed The Fog was way better.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
On the other hand, I think Ghosts of Mars is hugely underrated. I don't think The Fog is a better movie. Ghosts of Mars has a lot going for it. The story is vintage 1950s EC horror, and the movie's structure has a hint of Rashomon. It's also the first Cowboys vs. Indians story in the last 50 years that's told completely and unapologetically from the perspective of the cowboys. It's different and interesting. I really don't get the hate.

I like The Fog better than Ghosts of Mars but honestly couldn't tell which one is the better movie, objectively speaking. The Fog makes me feel good, even after watching it 103408432 times, Ghosts of Mars I find kinda boring and drawn-out, it's trashy, but not in a good way IMO.

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
Great thread. I've been watching horror. movies all month in honor of Halloween.

Just watched The Orphanage today. Wonderful direction and acting, and the ending was perfect, but unfortunately I didn't find it very scary. From what I read on the Internet, I expected it to be much more frightening. Still really liked it though.

Saw In the Mouth of Madness for the first time a few days ago. I thought it was supposed to be an adaptation of HPL's "At the Mountains of Madness", so again, my expectations were not met. I really enjoyed it though. Great special effects for its time.

Also watched two of Ossorio's "Blind Dead" movies: Tombs of the Blind Dead (the 1st movie in the series) and Night of the Seagulls (the 3rd). The directing in both was pretty plodding, and the acting was generally terrible, but the make-up and costume design for the mummies was really eerie, so I could still get into them.

And I finally got around to seeing Darkness Falls. Another movie I had high expectations for, but I was heavily disappointed. What a lousy movie. Stupid premise, stupid plot, stupid everything. Probably the first horror movie I've ever seen where the protagonists defeat the ghost "action movie" style: by shooting it with guns until it died (again).

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
I don't celebrate Halloween, the last horror movie I saw was Addiction, recommended.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Is this a joke?

Are you really this fucking stupid or do you just pretend to be? Halloween is what is left of the Celtic Samhain, what the hell has it got to do with me?

Of course some stuff-peddlers try to import it over here, like they did with Valentine's day, but it hasn't really caught on.

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
ARRGGHH. I just typed out a long response, and then lost it because I forgot how to multi-quote.

also decided to add Hausu to the list

nobody besides me had seen it

I've never heard of this film either, but I checked out the Wikipedia page, and it sounds good. Thanks for the heads up.

I've really got to get around to watching Sweet Home as well.

Did you ever see the film adaptation of Junji Ito's Uzumaki? I loved the comic, but all of Ito's "Tomie" movies have been pretty bad, so I'm a little wary of wasting my time on this one.

Are you really this fucking stupid or do you just pretend to be? Halloween is what is left of the Celtic Samhain, what the hell has it got to do with me?

I dunno, it's a good excuse to fire up some pop-corn, grab some beer or wine, and spend an evening or two watching horror films.

(It's also a very auspicious day for fielding an undead army in a fantasy wargame :P)