So.... I got let go from my job today

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
It was out of the blue, but it wasn't out of the blue, if you know what I mean. Arobella Medical has had problems for a couple of years. People leaving left and right, people getting laid off, ask Bobak, he worked there and got laid off too.

I had a long talk with my boss and he suggested I work where he worked before (Goodrich Aerospace) there and where some of the other people did who went back to work after they quit or got laid off at Arobella. He said I could work in the factory and if I showed promise, I could become a technician, fixing things. It would be like fixing pinball machines and arcade games, only more complex. They'd pay for my tech school training. I like working in an office, but I like the looser dress code and working with machines.

Or I could go get a Master's in Psychology and help people. I don't know where I want to go next. What do you guys think I should do? You guys kinda know me.

Marek

Banned
I am sorry to hear this.

Getting a technician job could be really good for you.

As for the psych degree, the golden rule is that you have to have helped yourself before you are in a position to help anybody else.

Ths is coming from someone who went to a university with a revolving door Psychology department. I know tons of people who are absolutely emotionally clueless and have psych degrees

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Sucks man. Went through the same thing a few months ago. Here's hoping you're able to find a new job quickly. Still on the hunt myself after a few months. :(

Dio Brando

Mickey's Coach
Ugh, I am really sorry you have to face the difficulty of a job loss, as I already know too many who are struggling to find work. I wish you luck that, whatever you choose to do, will work out just peachy.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Sorry to hear that

It seems that you already like the idea of the being a tech guy and they are willing to pay for your schooling. My only question is do both jobs pay the same? I ask because while the less strict dress code is cool would it mean you'd have to take a pay cut?

BobbyPeru

Man of Letters
It actually sounds like doors are opening for you, and your current boss has really pointed you in a great direction. This could be the start of an excellent career, not just another job.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Beefy said:
He said I could work in the factory and if I showed promise, I could become a technician, fixing things. It would be like fixing pinball machines and arcade games, only more complex.

His words?

Poppy said:
I know tons of people who are absolutely emotionally clueless and have psych degrees

Amen.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Great, another slob living off my taxes...
jk..
best of luck finding a soft landing.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
It was out of the blue, but it wasn't out of the blue, if you know what I mean. Arobella Medical has had problems for a couple of years. People leaving left and right, people getting laid off, ask Bobak, he worked there and got laid off too.

I had a long talk with my boss and he suggested I work where he worked before (Goodrich Aerospace) there and where some of the other people did who went back to work after they quit or got laid off at Arobella. He said I could work in the factory and if I showed promise, I could become a technician, fixing things. It would be like fixing pinball machines and arcade games, only more complex. They'd pay for my tech school training. I like working in an office, but I like the looser dress code and working with machines.

Or I could go get a Master's in Psychology and help people. I don't know where I want to go next. What do you guys think I should do? You guys kinda know me.

That blows. I have to admit it's alarming how much it's just part of life these days, losing your job. Fucking weak.

Anyways. If you give a shit about what I think, I say go for the technician thing. A Master's is time-consuming, very expensive, extremely labourious, and doesn't guarantee a job at the end.

In fact, you'll probably find you're overqualified for a lot of work. That's a whole new level of frustrating. Counseling-type jobs are hard to get, too, even if you do have a lot of education. Plus they're emotionally draining. If I were you I wouldn't even consider it.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Check on your facebook, I linked you to a work-from-home job that supported me til I got an actual job.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Sorry to hear. The world can be a real asshole sometimes. I know it. Strength.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
It actually sounds like doors are opening for you, and your current boss has really pointed you in a great direction. This could be the start of an excellent career, not just another job.
Yeah, and them paying for your tech school training sounds like a good opportunity. On the other hand, being in a position to manipulate emotionally crippled women to your own ends probably provides some good opportunities as well. Especially seeing as how they'd all be wealthy enough to afford therapy. Good luck, whichever path you take.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
It's very sad, to hear of anybody losing a job these days.

I was looking for a job for awhile, I suppose I can give you a bit of advice that worked for me.

Go to a local library and get the 2010 "Book of Lists" for your city. Look up the sector you wish to find a job in, e.g. " commercial marketing", "electrical engineering"... whatever. Then just cold-fax your resume to ALL the companies on that list. Do this every two months or so. Good thing about the "Book of lists" is that companies in it are ranked by how well they did the following year, hence your probability of getting hired are slightly higher.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited:

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Very sorry to hear this. It is tough out there and you should go after what you really enjoy doing. My wife has been home for over a year now and she is very happy.

GAMEFAN

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Go apply at an Internet Cafe, smoke shop, cell phone kiosk.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
Shitty man.

I will warn you that my g/f has a Master's in Psychology and finding work in the field is pretty much impossible. Lots of people have that degree, the private demand for it is full and States are cutting out social services for mental health left and right. Seemed to be the first on the cutting block in many States when it came time to cut spending.

For now, I'd take whatever comes along first while working on a plan. If you enjoy helping people, become a teacher. Good demand, solid pay and good teachers are something we need.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Okay, now you're winding us up. First it's maybe I should get a masters in psychology. Then it's like, hey guys, I think I want to be a Wal-Mart greeter.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Right. I'll take what I can get AND BE HAPPY WITH WHATEVER IT IS. I'm desperate.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Shitty man.

I will warn you that my g/f has a Master's in Psychology and finding work in the field is pretty much impossible. Lots of people have that degree, the private demand for it is full and States are cutting out social services for mental health left and right. Seemed to be the first on the cutting block in many States when it came time to cut spending.

For now, I'd take whatever comes along first while working on a plan. If you enjoy helping people, become a teacher. Good demand, solid pay and good teachers are something we need.

Teachers, like all gov't workers, are in danger of budget cuts these days.

Unless you mean professors, with their tenure system that prevents them from being fired unless the whole college goes out of business.