House Passes Anti-Abortion Bill

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20059846-503544.html

The Republican-led House on Wednesday passed a controversial abortion bill that codifies restrictions against federal funding for abortion services and could discourage private insurers from providing coverage for abortion.

The "No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act" passed by a vote of 251 to 175. The vote was a signal that House Republicans are committed to satisfying their social conservative base, even as Congress continues weighty debates over the federal budget.

Rep. Scott Garrett called the measure a "commonsense bill" that would "do away with the patchwork ban" currently in place to restrict federal funding of abortions.

The legislation would impose a permanent bar on any federal spending for abortion care -- including tax credits for private plans that cover abortion. Republicans have argued that the bill would simply codify the government's commitment to the Hyde amendment, which bans federal funding of abortions. (Lawmakers need to renew the amendment each year.)

Democrats, however, call the bill an effective tax hike on insurance companies that choose to cover abortion. Most employer-provided private health insurance plans provide coverage for abortions.

Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-N.Y.) called it an "attack on private insurance companies and small businesses."

"If you truly believe in the freedom of the individual and the wisdom of the free market, vote no," she said.

Added Rep. Jackie Speier (D-Calif.), "If Republicans want to overturn Roe v Wade, they should draft a bill and give it a shot. Don't use the tax code as a bludgeon when you don't have the votes."

Republicans today argued that the public is on their side, citing polls showing that most Americans prohibit the use of taxpayer dollars to pay for abortion.

"At a time when our nation is going broke, when we're borrowing 42 cents on the dollar...maybe those programs that have the least consensus and are the most divisive among us ought to be the first to lose their subsidies," said Jeb Hensarling (R-Texas).

Rep. Jerry Nadler (D-N.Y.) countered by arguing that if tax credits for abortion violate the Hyde rule, then tax credits and deductions for charitable organizations and churches would also violate the separation of church and state.

"You can't have it both ways," he said.

Democrats also said the bill infringes on the autonomy of the District of Columbia, since it would make permanent a provision to restrict abortion funding in the capital city which was recently passed as part of a short-term budget bill. That provision bars the District from from using its own local tax funds to provide abortion services.

Today's House vote is expected to remain largely symbolic, since it likely could not pass as a standalone measure in the Democratic-led Senate. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid would most likely not even put the bill up for consideration.

However, some House members have suggested conditioning a vote on raising the debt ceiling -- a critical economic issue -- on seeing a vote on the "No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act" in the Senate, the Washington Post reports.

Republicans effectively won a standalone vote in the Senate over defunding Planned Parenthood as part of a deal to pass a budget bill earlier this year.

Nancy Keenan, president of NARAL Pro-Choice America, chided House Speaker John Boehner for making this bill a priority "despite facing intense public backlash for bringing the government to the brink of shutdown over defunding Planned Parenthood."

"Members of Congress who support this egregious assault on women will hear from outraged Americans through phone calls, protests, petitions, and most importantly, at the ballot box in 2012," Keenan said.

The American Civil Liberties Union also spoke out against the bill after its passage, calling it "dangerous" and "deeply misguided."

Laura W. Murphy, director of the ACLU Washington Legislative Office, said one of the bill's failings is its exclusion of insurance coverage for abortion where a woman's health is at risk.

"A pregnant woman who learns that she has cancer or another serious disease should be able to make the best decision to protect her health," she said. "Though we may not all feel the same way about abortion, we can agree that a woman should not be denied insurance coverage for care she needs, especially when her health is threatened."

Tony Perkins, president of the conservative group Family Research Council's lobbying arm FRC Action, praised the House today for passing the bill.

"We commend the bipartisan majority of the House of Representatives for finding common ground by permanently banning the flow of money between the federal government and the brutal procedure of abortion," he said. "Compelling American taxpayers to hand over their hard earned dollars to pay for abortions can't be justified, especially at a time when our country is facing an economic meltdown brought on by a failure to stop the out-of-control spending in Washington."

This thing is a huge slap in the face to women. I'm glad Obama's threatening to veto this trash.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
Republicans like to talk about the Constitution a lot to be a Party that wipes it's ass with it.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
How is this a slap in the face to women? They aren't banning abortion.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
We're engaged in three conflicts, have a sputtering economy, and we're legislating this drivel?

This legislation is particularly amusing given that an abortion is a solution to a problem.

Why don't we, you know, focus on the actual problem of unwanted pregnancies in this country?

I guess then we'd have to be frank with our kids and teach them about safe sex, birth control, and other forms of contraception.

Or we could just let them figure it out themselves. Sure some will irreparably fuck up their lives due to an unwanted pregnancy or by getting a fatal STD...

But if that's the price we have to pay to keep condoms out of school then I'm all for it.

I wish these worthless Republicans and TEA party morons would actually pass some useful firearm laws instead of this shit.

I guess guns aren't hot button enough this election cycle.

Last edited:

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
I always get a good laugh when Republicans try to associate themselves with conservatism, until I realise that it isn't a joke and there are actually people out there who argue that they oppose government intervention yet support a government which sticks its nose into the lives of its citizens.
icon13.gif

Not that the Democrats are much better, but it seems that, at the least, their supporters tend to know the difference between "conservative" and "liberal" use of government instead of praising a party for doing exactly the opposite of what they claim to like.

Marek

Banned
A slap in the face to women or the death of human being.

That's a toughie. :spock:

Yeah well they can talk about banning abortions when they stop talking about the death of 'entitlement programs' that keep the children they force to be born fed and educated.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
This is all our COngress is good for, investigating why we don't have an NCAA Football tourney, seeing why Barry Bonds has such a large head and so much assne, and fighting the scourge of parasites getting removed when not wanted.

To quote Chris Rock out of context...

Scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20059846-503544.html

This thing is a huge slap in the face to women. I'm glad Obama's threatening to veto this trash.

Regarding the thread title, is the limitation on the amount of government funds for campaigns an anti-campaign law?

And anti-abortion is not a slap in the face to women. It's a slap in the face to people that want abortions - men or women. Not all women, and more than zero men. Moreover, "slap in the face" and "(all) women" isn't the type of expression that's going to work in your favor here.

I think Jerry Nadler may have made a point he didn't want to touch upon. neobuyer, get on that now. Go go gadget suspenders.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Yeah well they can talk about banning abortions when they stop talking about the death of 'entitlement programs' that keep the children they force to be born fed and educated.

Translation, let's wait until they fix their problems before we start to worry about the life of another human being. Spoken like a true bureaucrat.

zygote.jpg

"I'm a human beeeeeen"

Good point. I say let's chance it. Ya know, roll the dice. Who really knows when like starts or doesn't start. It's really all too much to worry about.

Last edited:

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
You don't get a soul until 6 months after birth, lighten up.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
We're engaged in three conflicts, have a sputtering economy, and we're legislating this drivel?
This legislation is particularly amusing given that an abortion is a solution to a problem.

This is the way of the Republicans.

They did it with gay marriage in 2004.

Country going to hell, no fix to the problem, fuck it, lets just bring up a social issue and get the religious folks all hyper. aka...fake conservatives.

They won't be happy till this country is a 3rd world religious dictatorship like Saudi Arabia.

Last edited:

Ami Tajiri

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I guess guns aren't hot button enough this election cycle.
I've been hearing a fair bit about gun rights lately, though maybe that's just a local thing. Lots of people are pushing to allow concealed weapons on college campuses, and a group from my university is going to hold an empty holster protest to support it.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
They won't be happy till this country is a 3rd world religious dictatorship like Saudi Arabia.

Saudia Arabia probably is the religous right's model for the ideal state.

Some of these nutjobs are as insane as the jihadi types.

I've been hearing a fair bit about gun rights lately, though maybe that's just a local thing. Lots of people are pushing to allow concealed weapons on college campuses, and a group from my university is going to hold an empty holster protest to support it.

No major gun stuff is going on at the National level. Lots of grass roots organizations are doing hard work to get things changed at the state level of various states.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
Saudia Arabia probably is the religous right's model for the ideal state.

I have no doubt it is.

I use to work with a couple of hardcore Huckabee supporters. Both believed it should be legal to beat your wife and only the man should be allowed to file for divorce. One believed in removing women's right to vote.

I couldn't imagine what their wives must be like. I'm sure my dog gets treated better.

aria

Former Moderator
This is more important than the House Bill:

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Sent from my goddam laptop --holy FUCK do I [highlight]HATE[/highlight] this shit... SWITCH. IT. OFF. :very_ang:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Sent from my goddam laptop HOLY FUCK DO I HATE THIS SHIT... SWITCH. IT. OFF.

My phone doesn't do that when I post on here.

Is this due to whatever application they are using to view forums?

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Translation, let's wait until they fix their problems before we start to worry about the life of another human being. Spoken like a true bureaucrat.

Good point. I say let's chance it. Ya know, roll the dice. Who really knows when like starts or doesn't start. It's really all too much to worry about.

I hope you never have children, and pray that any children you have die soon before you can shit all over their brains with your fucked retarded views on the world. I hope they die and that your dick explodes in fire so that your ability to spread idiocy is cut short. Then I hope you die, from being ass raped. By a rhinoceros.

Every time I read your posts, I feel this is what needs to happen.