What anime are you watching?

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
The downside is that none of the characters are anywhere near as cool as the originals, and most are whiny as hell (typical modern anime characters).

Kira was a bit whiny in the first one, but he grew a set of fucking balls for Destiny! Maybe boning Lacus Clyne for a few years helped.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Kira was a bit whiny in the first one, but he grew a set of fucking balls for Destiny! Maybe boning Lacus Clyne for a few years helped.

His problem in Destiny was that without his old whininess, he didn't really have any demonstrable personality at all. But since he wasn't the entire focus of the series, I could live with it.

elixir

NAM-75 Vet
I don't watch anime much, but I'm watching Steins;Gate because I'm a big fan of the game. So far the anime is pretty good, the pacing is a bit fast but they're trying to keep it as close to the game as possible.

Oh, this reminds me, I can just stream from my PC to PS3. I might do that next episode.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
When the hell is Golgo 13 collection 3 coming here? That's what I want to see. I miss quality "look forward to" anime. The last series I really enjoyed other than that and own is Kenshin Wandering Samurai. I did enjoy Moribito and Seven Samurai quite a bit though.

Been wondering this too, since SENTAI Works stated they're releasing the whole damn 52 episode series of GOLGO 13, but all we have so far are two volumes. I'm gonna be fucking pissed if that's all we get when all is said and done.

GOLGO fans are always getting fucked over. And Queen Bee was absolute crap as far as I'm concerned, can't understand why so many people like that particular outing of his. The TV show is what we should have had all along. I'm glad to see that The Dirty Pair TV show finally made the jump to R1 though. Still have to pick up volume 2 that just came out.

Hell will freeze over though before anyone releases the entire

Space Adventure
C O B R A

Tv series though. :(

I've only ever seen the theatrical movie that Urban Video released in the late 90s and had to pick up a GDVD bootleg in order to have it on DVD sometime ago. I'm aware of the new OVAs of Cobra's but not doing the torrents thing (never have any luck with them for whatever reason) I miss out on a lot. Why Japanimation conventions and monthly hangouts no longer have people carrrying physical media to sell to others or give away in an exchange program like back in the day (in the 80s and early 90s) I'll never know.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
None of it lives up to the original or Zeta. As long as you keep that in mind and don't get your hopes up too high, there is stuff to enjoy.

Turn-A is great if you've never watched that. Victory is also excellent if you haven't seen it. That one, I would rank among the top, near original and Z. But both Turn-A and Victory are Tomino shows, which helps a lot.

SEED is a re-imagining of the original series with all new characters. The plus side is that the animation tends to be nice, and some of the mecha and ship designs are cool. The downside is that none of the characters are anywhere near as cool as the originals, and most are whiny as hell (typical modern anime characters). And there is too much recycled animation. There are a few new concepts that are very interesting and separate it from the original timeline, but unfortunately they are not explored in any real (or consistent) way. Still miles above Wing, though. If you don't go online and read other people's whining about imagined issues with the shows, you'll probably enjoy them. A lot of the "problems" are either explainable or are actually explained within the show, and are just fans looking for something to complain about.

But again, just to be clear, the original series/movie trilogy and Zeta series fucking destroy SEED/Destiny.

Also, Gundam 00 is very good. Both seasons. Very good. That one, you should definitely watch.

And the first two episodes of Unicorn are excellent.

OK good to know. Personally, I think I'm allergic to newer animation techniques, but I'll try these out down the road.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
OK good to know. Personally, I think I'm allergic to newer animation techniques, but I'll try these out down the road.

I think the first episode of 00 will probably be enough to hook you. And Unicorn has a very similar feel and look to the original stuff.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
I've been watching Desert Punk on Netflix for some strange reason. It has its moments once in a while, but over all just a little too silly and eye rolling.

Had a friend that bought it and said it was so bad it knocked him off his anime kick for the reason you said.

I've been just PLOWING through anime, from quality to character driven otaku garbage, I love it all. Pretty much the only thing that bores me with anime is anything overly mainstream (the current big 3 [One Piece, Bleach, Naruto], Dragonball Z, that type of stuff), everything else is pretty much fair game.

This is what I've watched the past 4 months...

Elfen Lied - I love this series, it deals heavily with the ideas of what truly makes someone a monster, are they born that way or are they made that way by society, abandonment issues, it's a very psychological series. It deals with a variety of issues with different characters, I feel I can't do the series justice in a paragraph other than to say WATCH IT.

Daphne in the Brilliant Blue - Not a spectacular series at all, but if you take it as a fun watch with some later story that really kicks in, it's fun. Plus I like the post-waterworld setting where we live on floating islands.

Solty Rei - It's about a cybernetic girl that doesn't remember her past and her experiences with an unwilling father figure and a few other characters. This series starts off promising but kind of putters out mid-way but if you hang in, it finishes pretty strong.

Witchblade - I was never a fan of the US comic (as in just never read it, not that I have something against it) and when I heard there was a Japanese-centric version of the series, I had to watch it and I love it. Fun characters and a story that takes some interesting twist along the way. I'm just a huge fan of it, watched it twice already, will go a 3rd time soon.

Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 - A reimagining of the 80's series, it deals with the Knight Sabers (a group of women wearing armored suits) that fight robots-gone-berserk. The setting in a futuristic Japan and the implications of our future interaction with machines held my interest all the way through. Plus the music is fucking awesome.

Gantz - Great series that I won't get too much into due to possible spoiling, but it's a great ride all the way through. It's about a group of unwilling people randomly thrown together due to circumstances to fight aliens in a giant game that takes place in the real world Tokyo. My only complaint is the ending kind of sucks. It's like watching the original Evangelion, really, in that respect.

Rin: Daughter of Mnemosyne - This series has become easily one of my favorites that I have ever had the pleasure of watching. It's a six episode series that follows the story of two immortal women over the course of 55 years (each episode takes place in a different year, except for the final two which are the same year), as they deal with the situation that they have found themselves in. What I love about it is seeing the entire world change around them, people coming into & out of their lives. Fantastic.

Gunslinger Girl - Watched the first series, this is a great show, it deals with a set of girls that have through different circumstances been converted into cybernetic killers with, in most cases, their memories erased of their past. It has this sadness to the whole situation that is engaging to me. Working through the second series which is ok, but I think the first series is the real gem of the two. Yet to watch the manga.

Ikki Tousen & Queen's Blade - Pure guilty pleasure shows. Barely any plot here, just girls fighting for different reasons (Ikki Tousen layers the Romance of the Three Kingdom story in there, Queen's Blade follows more of a strained kingdom in need of rebirth with a new leader) and they all look good. Don't go into these shows looking to think and they can be fun to watch.

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
just starting to watch evangelion.
i've ignored it because of the elitist, immature fan-base,
who managed to infect every online community i've frequented over the past decade.
fortunately, the series is amazing,
and, as a bonus, i now understand the dysfunction it attracts.

dullbuoy

Leon Ther,
I've seen the first episode of Gundam Unicorn, but that was a while back. there wasn't as much emo-whininess in that episode (yet) so I was wondering if anybody has seen the rest of it, and is it worth watching any further?

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member

That's funny, but to be honest Kira had some reasons to be whiny. He moved to the neutral colony to get away from the war between the cordinators and naturals. He was then drawn into their fight against his will and then classed as a traitor as he was fighting with the naturals against fellow cordinators. All good stuff :vik:

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
Other good animes to watch are Trigun, Record of Lodoss and Hellsing

hellsing_arabic_cartoon.jpg

skotgun

Geese's Limo Driver
like phyeir said, GANTZ is fucking awesome. whoever complained about the lack of ultra-violence these days, watch GANTZ. yeah, ending sucks though.

and i haven't seen much gundam, but i also though Turn A was quite good. and you gotta love a gundam that looks like it has a huge moustache.

watched S-CRY-ED recently, i rather enjoyed that.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I couldn't get on board with Hellsing. It was a cool concept with horrible execution, imo. Some terrible animation, too. Then I tried reading the comic, and the Dark Horse translation was so bad I had to give up. Really, really awful scripting. Possibly the most inept I've ever seen from a major publisher. The guy writing the English script didn't know the difference between Irish, Scottish, or even Cockney voices and expressions, not to mention aristocratic versus lower class, and used all interchangeably for different characters. Any character could speak one way in one panel, and completely differently the next. The scripter may have even thrown some Australian in there before I dropped it. I don't know what the fuck his problem was, or how editors let that mess go through.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
like phyeir said, GANTZ is fucking awesome. whoever complained about the lack of ultra-violence these days, watch GANTZ. yeah, ending sucks though.
I really want to watch Gantz. I'm a big fan of the comic, but it has changed sooooooooo drastically since the time the cartoon was made, that it makes me really curious about what kind of ending the show's producers would have imagined for the story back then.

Also kind of curious about the live action movies.

skotgun

Geese's Limo Driver
yeah it came out in january. downloading it now. can't seem to find a subbed version though, only english dubbed. lame.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Let me know if it's any good. I heard the English dub is horrific. Multiple reviewers singled it out as detracting from the movie.

Phyeir

Bigger issue is I heard the live action movie is toned down in a lot of ways in both the violence & sexual content from the manga/anime. Also totally detracting from the movie (if you're a fan of the anime/manga)

Phyeir

like phyeir said, GANTZ is fucking awesome. whoever complained about the lack of ultra-violence these days, watch GANTZ.

I forgot to mention that about Elfen Lied, that series is CRAZY violent. The opening scene is of the main character walking through a corridor in the remainder of her shackles murdering people left & right as they shoot at her to try to prevent her escape. Blood everywhere. But the way they play off the violence with the more innocent nature of some of the characters really strengthens the series.

skotgun

Geese's Limo Driver
well i just watched the first 40 min, up to after the fight with the first alien.
and WOW, do NOT watch the english dub.
none of the sex related stuff is in it (so far anyway), and there's lots of blood exploding everywhere, but not as graphic as the anime/manga.
it's pretty ok so far, but i'm gonna wait till i can find a subbed version.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Yeah, I didn't like Hellsing at all...

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
"Now and then, here and there", again. Great series.

Setsuna1982

World Her,
just starting to watch evangelion.
i've ignored it because of the elitist, immature fan-base,
who managed to infect every online community i've frequented over the past decade.
fortunately, the series is amazing,
and, as a bonus, i now understand the dysfunction it attracts.

Gurren Lagann is from the same guys and it have a lot of similarities I've heard. I haven't watched Evangelion, might give it a try. TTGL was really inspiring

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
I like Ultimate Hellsing, never saw the first ova's.

Also the ending for the Gantz anime is a complete let down and shows they had no clue on how to end it, not one of Gonzo's better moments