Blast City Club

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Yes, I set the windows desktop to 640x480 60Hz 32bit colour on a normal PC monitor, once set, I shut down PC, plugged the VGA into the cab, powered on the PC, and after 20 seconds (time for windows to load), I powered the cab monitor on.
Or do I have to select again 640x480 once the image displays triple in the arcade monitor? Just wondering maybe windows detects a new "type" of monitor and does not set the resolution correctly the first time and I need to do it manually again?

EDIT: I received the NEMA 5-15 grounded cable today. I tested it but same result as far as the sound goes. Is it possible that Blasts do not output mono sound on Jamma with the default wiring? ( I do not have the 001 loom). The seller mentioned they tried the Blast with an Atomiswave PCB and sound was working fine.
Found the below thread on arcadeotaku, but my wiring is not hacked (from what I see)

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22594

Also the PSU fan is not working. I thought it was due the ground as well, but seems it is not :)

The good news :) Received the Novus 123 today. More cleaning waiting from now!

http://www.ultimarc.com/download.html

^ At the bottom of the page you should download 'Quickres Utility'. It'll run in your taskbar (bottom right hand corner). Check to make sure the resolution is set to 640x480. If it is, it's most likely the dips on the Blast adjustment board. I don't have my Blast in front of me so I can't be for certain your dips are set correct. I remember it seeming like it was different than the manual...can't recall.

todosnk

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
Off-On-On.... now getting a stable but doubléd image via VGA. One less go to!
Sometimes the screen flickers though, but at least now I only see doublé :D

Tried quickres and also switching to the JPAC once Windows had loaded but still...

I am typing this seeing doublé on the Blast :D :D :D

Last edited:

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
Off-On-On.... now getting a stable but doubléd image via VGA. One less go to!
Sometimes the screen flickers though, but at least now I only see doublé :D

Tried quickres and also switching to the JPAC once Windows had loaded but still...

I am typing this seeing doublé on the Blast :D :D :D

On your jpac , what jumper settings do you currently have ?

todosnk

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
Thanks a lot guys for your help on this. Once more I can see the NG.com community is truly valuable!!

JPAC has only one jumper, and it is set on the 31 kHz position
I tried down/down/up as well but no luck.
The image flickrs quickly from right to left, as if it was out of sync, I tried then to adjust on the CP H and V position but could not get it to work.
I see in the manual that there are some extra adjustments next to the dsub input, maybe I could try these as well?
To access these I need to split the cab in half, can I do that just removing the lateral screws or do I need to take out the monitor?

I will try to set up a Windows XP based PC during the weekend, at least to figure out if the display via dsub it has something to do with the OS version.

Just to make it clear: it IS possible to display VGA on the Blast using Windows 7, whatever card I plug in, correct (as long as it is VGA and 640x480 at 60hz)?

As far as the audio goes, is there any mono/stereo switch on the cab. Maybe it is now set to stereo but as it is not wired it can't really get further than it is now.
Another thing I could try is to plug the PC and try to take a 3.5 Jack cable to the stereo inputs on CN5 on the Blast, is there any place to buy these cables? I have no ability on soldering/wiring and would not like to burn my Blast while practising :D
Or maybe I could buy a 001 loom and then just plug a 3.5 > RCA cable straight away maybe?

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
this should not be this hard... let's eliminate the jpac out of the equation.

1) completely disconnect the j-pac , connect nothing to the jamma loom.
2) boot a PC with XP , install quickres, set to 640x480. move the vga cord from the pc monitor to the arcade monitor.
3) set the monitor dip to off/off/on and turn on the cab

if you don't get a solid picture then maybe there is something wrong with the cabinet wiring or monitor chassis.
win7 can be problematic, but many get it to work fine. forcing it to use vga is the hard part. it tries to think for you, and fails.

someone would have to build the rca add on for the jamma loom. but, really, you should just get an 001 loom... it has an sound amp protection mechanism on it. pretty much a mono/stereo selector.

todosnk

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
I'll try the PC setup in a couple of days.
I am open to offers if someone has a 001 loom for sale. Ideally in europe but I don't mind paying shipping fees from the US :)

cornerstone

King's Dry Cleaner
My jpac has two jumpers. Two small red jumpers. They're at the first and third section on the jpac.

Make sure you have read the jpac manual.

To configure the monitor interface, install one jumper on the pair of pins indicating the frequency your monitor is specified to operate at. Most older arcade monitors operate at 15 Khz. Alternatively, if a 15Khz monitor is being used, install jumpers on both the 15 and 31Khz positions (default setting). This enables a stable picture to be displayed during boot. See below.
If all jumpers are removed, the J-PAC will pass through composite sync. This mode is used with our console adaptors.

I run with those jumpers plus soft15khz and the correct 15khz setting on the blast.

Last edited:

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
I’ve never used a computer/mame setup on a cab, the only VGA signals I’ve connected to my Blast City cabs are from dreamcast and xbox360, it’s pretty straight forward. I can’t offer any more help on this one.

Maybe buy some arcade games for your arcade cabinet.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
this should not be this hard... let's eliminate the jpac out of the equation.

1) completely disconnect the j-pac , connect nothing to the jamma loom.
2) boot a PC with XP , install quickres, set to 640x480. move the vga cord from the pc monitor to the arcade monitor.
3) set the monitor dip to off/off/on and turn on the cab

if you don't get a solid picture then maybe there is something wrong with the cabinet wiring or monitor chassis.
win7 can be problematic, but many get it to work fine. forcing it to use vga is the hard part. it tries to think for you, and fails.

someone would have to build the rca add on for the jamma loom. but, really, you should just get an 001 loom... it has an sound amp protection mechanism on it. pretty much a mono/stereo selector.

Start with the basics listen to crank.

Another way to get 640x480 forced without installing quick res on WinXP.

Start Button > In the run command type: msconfig > Hit Enter > In the boot tab check forced 640x480 > Save > Reboot.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Maybe buy some arcade games for your arcade cabinet.

Haha we were all thinking it ;-) just needed you to say it. A guy local kept messing with his trying to get a mutilboard to run which turned out to be a 800x600 res to run and now his monitor is jacked. Could be a coincidence though but I have read where people have warned about running non supported resolutions on arcade monitors that resulted in damaging the monitor. Might wanna quit while it still works and get it sorted before you plug it in again just to be safe.

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member

todosnk

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
@cornerstone:
yes my JPAC had 2 jumpers too. When I tried windows at 640x480 without soft15, I left only the 31khz jumper set, blast set to 31
I also tried with soft15hz and the two jumpers (15-31), blast set to 15, no luck...

@Chempop: Maybe a good time now to trade 100 AES carts for their respective MVS :D anyone? :D :D

@arcade game: I tried all settings I could on the below picture.
IMG_20150115_161520.jpg
If there is anything else I can check, I am happy to give it a try.

@ReplicaX: great to know really, I'll try this approach when I have the XP setup :)

@Westcb: yeah, I know what you mean :). Especially when this is my first cab, started with the documentation process weeks before deciding to buy it. I didnt expect it would become like that really, I was thinking it would be "plug and play" :D But I am happy to learn I am positive that will all your advices I will get this solved.

@codecrank: PM'd you regarding the 001 loom.

I will also get an amp replacement from the seller and ordered an ArcadeVGA (to be safe).
In the meantime while everything is ready, I can clean the service door. Also got Novus for the scratches :D :D

Last edited:

arcade game

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
@todosnk
The 31K horizontal hold i'm talking about is on monitor chassis
Not the one on front of control board
Here's a sticker picture on my buddy 's blast city cab
i hope it helps

todosnk

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
Today my friend lend me his cab PC with an ArcadeVGA. I set jumpers down down up, plugged the VGA cable, and voila!

IMG_20150117_141109.jpgIMG_20150117_142924.jpg

Looks like ArcadeVGA is the way to go :)
I am relieved to see it working really!!

cornerstone

King's Dry Cleaner
Do you think there is something wrong with your jpac or the jamma portion of the harness?

I'm not familiar with the arcadevga card, does it provide the same protection for your monitor that the jpac does? Or is that only a concern in 15khz mode?

todosnk

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
I would not know really. Today when I tried the JPAC with the ArcadeVGA, i got the windows image moving up and down all the time (regardless of the jumpers used). But it was a unique image, not doubled nor tripled like before.
I guess it's a matter to adjust the horizontal/vertical hold, but I do not know where this setting is :) If I am right on this I think it is safe to say the JPAC and harness are fine.

The ArcadeVGA plugged directly with 31khz set up works like a charm.

I tend to believe my issue is related to the combination of Windows 7 with the MSI Geforce 750. Possibly the graphic card/Windows does not like to sync with the arcade monitor and other cards would work...?! Maybe I was just unlucky picking up that graphic card.

I am not aware of the ArcadeVGA providing a protection mechanism, but looking at Ultimarc's website it does sound as if it does not harm the monitor. Maybe someone can confirm this point, I am too new here to confirm :)

Upon cleaning today I found the below thrown inside the cab. The wire was near by the coin mechanism, I wonder if this has to be connected somewhere, or if I do not intend to use coins, can I just remove the 2 plugs going to the coin acceptor?

IMG_20150117_204535.jpg

Completed the keyholder :)

IMG_20150118_175304~2.jpg

Some pics of the restoration during the weekend:

Sega plastic bag drying :) - it was so much dirt, I did not even notice there was a second set of keys inside, it was a nice surprise to find out :)

bolsa tendida.jpg

My new friend, Mr. Toothbrush Oral-B :) :

new friend mister teethbrush.jpg

Coin insert, before and after:

coin after 2.jpg
coin after.jpg
coin before 2.jpg
coin before 3.jpg
coin before.jpg

CP after:

cp after 2.jpg
cp after.jpg

Doors before:

doors before 2.jpg
doors before.jpg

Doors after:

doors after 2.jpg
doors after.jpg

PSU before:

psu before 2.jpg
psu before 3.jpg
psu before 4.jpg
psu before.jpg

Still WIP:

psu after.jpg

Last edited:

bartre

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
That PSU was actually looking pretty good to begin with.
Mine almost gave me nightmares.

todosnk

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
Do you think there is something wrong with your jpac or the jamma portion of the harness?

I'm not familiar with the arcadevga card, does it provide the same protection for your monitor that the jpac does? Or is that only a concern in 15khz mode?

I asked Andy at Ultimarc about that. He says a protection mechanism is not needed as the ArcadeVGA always sends the correct 15Khz video.

BTW the ArcadeVGA 5000 is on stock from today again, just ordered mine this morning.

EDIT: just checked and sold out again lol...they sell faster than U2's tickets or have very low stock :D

Last edited:

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
I traveled to Oz and got some help making a 4 button panel from Mr. Codecrank himself. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422125677.607243.jpg

While I was there I also grabbed his metal slug blast city art package.

Here is the panel after it was cut
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422125796.499710.jpg

Here it is with the cpo applied
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422125862.354919.jpg

I will be sanding and painting the cab before I apply the sideart but here is a pic of what it looks like ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422126134.543923.jpg

Can't wait to start the rest but I will need to wait till it warms up a bit.
Also working on a Ikari warriors panel, but after several beers Dan decided to make me a left handed Ikari panel :-x so that will be on hold for a bit haha
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422126259.971356.jpg

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Sweet, I’m glad someone is finally putting that artset to use. Did it come with a marquee?