Top 5 shooters (or 10...5 of each OK)

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
^

Sorry, but only like 5 of those count.

Not that I have high expectations from you, but I didn't think you'd take cues from that ignoramus that wrote post #88.
Well, fuck. This random internet dickface doesn't like the same video games as I do.

I think ritualistic suicide is the only option.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Well, fuck. This random internet dickface doesn't like the same video games as I do.

I think ritualistic suicide is the only option.

How do those KFC mashed potatoes taste?

The street people still taking advantage of you?

Clearly you have no sense of sub genres or street smarts.

EDIT: I won't advocate his suggestion

Last edited:

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
1. Ketsui
2. Espgaluda
3. Ikaruga
4. Dimahoo
5. Zero Gunner 2

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
For those that chose Blazing Star... doesn't the shitty-ass ending make you pissed?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Never did play shooters for the ending.

Last edited:

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
2. 1943 (NES) - Great port of the arcade game. The attribute system was a nice touch and is what put this port over for me.
Seriously, that port is fucking awesome. Miles better than the 1942 port (fuck you Micronics).

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The password system is boss. Can't imagine sitting through the NES port in a single session.

ni-ten

War Room Troll
1. Musha Aleste
2. Guwange
3. Sengoku Ace
4. Truxton 2
5. Sonic Wings 2

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
No rank, I'd love to take any of them on a lonely island...

X-Multiply - very deep atmospheric trip, the video game version of Russells' Altered States. Blew me away then, blows me away now... splendid.

The Great Ragtime Show - wouldn't it be for STGs, Chelnov would stand here. A top5 without DECO? You got to be kiddin' me... this game expands borders and brings some long lost fun into a bullet-dodgers miserable life. For those who like to finally breathe again, ...on very high altitudes, that is ;).

Viewpoint - a masterpiece and the Neo-Geo game with the most secrets per square pixel. Everything here seems to be the hottest shit: graphics, music, the whole axonometric concept right down to your ships name: Byupo! Kawaii is also the difficulty level, at least if you play for a decent highscore, but that's... another story.

Xexex - same as DECO, no list without a Konami entry, since they literally invented the genre. Here, they re-invent it, and with a blast, I might add. Absolutely gorgeous presentation, damn hard & insatiable.

& ...Zanac - some Compile love was in order and this hardcore classic haunted me in my dreams back in the day. They could as well write it down in their credits: introducing rank. This novelty was a nightmare, but what a sweet one.

The Honorable Mention goes to Souki, an STG where you actually dismiss your main cannon. A bitchslap for any fan of the genre... but as Raizing goes, I gladly hold out my other cheek.

...and since the rail-gate affair needs refreshment, count me in for Thunder Blade, if only for the soundtrack alone. S.S.T. Band at their best ;).

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
for me, my list would always be changing.
regardless though, 3 games will always be in it.

Gates of Thunder
Air Zonk
Deathsmiles

These are my bread and butter. Everything else is just dessert.

heh, all horis...whodathunkit

Hmm, 4 years later and I pretty much feel the same way.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
4 years later I think I’m going going strong with yagawa and raizing, screw variety.

1. Dimahoo
2. Batrider
3. Garegga
4. Dodonpachi
5. Ibara

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Dimahoo that good mate? I have it but im rather shit at it.

Im shit at all shooters though but i just keep buying them. Im having fun though. That is the important thing right?

Right?

Last edited:

Caplet

Cheng's Errand Boy
Lately:

1) Blazing Star
2) Batsugun
3) rRootage
4) Recca
5) Neo XYX

Chempop

Im having fun though. That is the important thing right?

Nope.

:p

Everyone here by now knows my elitist stance. If you suck at these games, you are barely scratching the surface of what makes them good in the first place.
Take this example as an anecdote. I know it might sound like I’m measuring my dick, but there is a point I’m trying to make if you have an open mind.

My first Ibara clear (which I consider Yagawa’s easiest game to 1CC), was a low score NO medal-chain run. Basically just saved my hadou cannons for the handful of tricky parts, cleared with a score of around 5 million iirc. By my fifteenth Ibara clear, I was fully medal chaining the entire game, cleared with a Letter score (over 10 Million). A superplayer can double my score, which to me means I’m playing at around 50% ability of what the game offers the player. That first clear of mine, less than half of my personal best, maybe experienced 20-25% of what the game offers. Now think about what someone who struggles to see the second or third boss might be experiencing, may 5% of the game’s design is understood and experienced by such a player. Credit feeding through stages might show a player some stage design, but to actually clear without continuing you must really understand why the stages are designed in such a way in the first place. You have to route, you have to form strats, and have to execute what the developer planned and it takes PRACTICE.

Dimahoo is an elaborate masterpiece that only the very best can fully experience, I BARELY SCRATCH THE SURFACE! On top of THE MOST insane scoring systems which requires the player to know how to obtain 108 unique items, I feel it also has the best art, design, and some of the best music and bosses in the genre.

Chempop

1WdeB21.gif

1405037697857.gif

1409375464618.gif

powerflower

Banned
Metal Black
Gun Frontier
Gradius2+5
Gunhed
Lords/Gate of Thunder
Silpheed (Mega CD)
Pulstar
Border Down

...and of course all that Cave goodness :)

Last edited:

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Here's my top 5:

- Cyvern
- Alpha Mission
- U.N. Squadron
- Last Resort
- Ketsui

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
why do people like metal black? that game is fucking terrible

powerflower

Banned
Funny how viewpoints can be so different.

For me Metal Black is the best shooter ever made. Why?

First of all the soundtrack is godly. Even Yasuhisa Watanabe (Yack) from Ex-Taito/Zuntata (now G.Rev) admitted MB is his magnum opus.

Now let's get a little deeper. The presentation and even the story (!) kicks ass. Oh and the intro in stage 3 ( like 20 secs) is unique. That's story telling with blissfull music.

The graphics? Taito F2 Board was such a powerful board. Sorry Neo, nope!

Game system? Simple and btw. introducing the beam ( G-Darius, Border Down) including messing around with bosses beams and stuff.

First shmup with two endings? Did I mention the best soundtrack ever made for a shmup?

I really feel a little bit sorry for you that MB doesn't resonate with you. Anyway, these people were exactly knowing what they were doing ;)

MB is like a perfect sphere, no edges just plain perfect.

Now go figure Gun Frontier ;)

But hey, viewpoints can be different sometimes ;)

Edit: MB should have been Darius3 but they decided to name it MB because of the dark theme this game represents. No big success but pure dedication. Alpha Mission2 is similar in the context "we'll do what we want because that's the right way to express ourselfes" . Killer soundtrack as well.

Last edited:

powerflower

Banned
No rank, I'd love to take any of them on a lonely island...

X-Multiply - very deep atmospheric trip, the video game version of Russells' Altered States. Blew me away then, blows me away now... splendid.

The Great Ragtime Show - wouldn't it be for STGs, Chelnov would stand here. A top5 without DECO? You got to be kiddin' me... this game expands borders and brings some long lost fun into a bullet-dodgers miserable life. For those who like to finally breathe again, ...on very high altitudes, that is ;).

Viewpoint - a masterpiece and the Neo-Geo game with the most secrets per square pixel. Everything here seems to be the hottest shit: graphics, music, the whole axonometric concept right down to your ships name: Byupo! Kawaii is also the difficulty level, at least if you play for a decent highscore, but that's... another story.

Xexex - same as DECO, no list without a Konami entry, since they literally invented the genre. Here, they re-invent it, and with a blast, I might add. Absolutely gorgeous presentation, damn hard & insatiable.

& ...Zanac - some Compile love was in order and this hardcore classic haunted me in my dreams back in the day. They could as well write it down in their credits: introducing rank. This novelty was a nightmare, but what a sweet one.

The Honorable Mention goes to Souki, an STG where you actually dismiss your main cannon. A bitchslap for any fan of the genre... but as Raizing goes, I gladly hold out my other cheek.

...and since the rail-gate affair needs refreshment, count me in for Thunder Blade, if only for the soundtrack alone. S.S.T. Band at their best ;).

Check out this interpretation of Thunder Blade... 01:07:20

Nice to hear someone loves XexeX.

Last edited: