Recommend me the best 80s anime

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Yesterday I showed Wings of Honneamise to my nephew for the first time. I hadn't watched the movie in at least ten years, maybe longer, but man what a great movie.

As I was watching it, its big ideas, wonderful hand drawn animation, its awesome character designes that were such a staple of the art form back in the day, its AMBITIOUS storytelling and its quirky soundtrack, I turned back into that teenage boy who watched anime expecting greatness every single time I sat down in front of my TV and popped a tape in the VCR.

The eighties and early 90s were a wonderful time for the medium, where everything felt like it was worth the time to watch. Back then, I never felt like I was wasting my tmie watching an anime. Even something as banal as the Guyver had a certain type of creative weight to it. Even the average stuff from that time period felt worthy of exposure.

Today's stuff feels so soulless by comparison. Don't mistake this for old man nostalgia. I like some modern anime well enough, but I have no passion for it. I don't go out of my way to watch it.

Even a show like Shingeki No Kyojin/Attack on Titan, that everyone is going bonkers for right now with its dark themes and mature character arcs....I'm watching it with a mildly curious eye. I distinctly remember thinking:

This is what everyone's so excited about? Back when I was heavily invested in anime, this would have been an average show, pure middle of the pack fare.

In today's anime climate, Titan is hailed as some sort of storytelling marvel. That tells you something about the state of the biz today. A lot of it probably has to do with the current economy and how to be profitable, I'd guess.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
As I was watching it, its big ideas, wonderful hand drawn animation, its awesome character designes that were such a staple of the art form back in the day, its AMBITIOUS storytelling and its quirky soundtrack, I turned back into that teenage boy who watched anime expecting greatness every single time I sat down in front of my TV and popped a tape in the VCR.

The eighties and early 90s were a wonderful time for the medium, where everything felt like it was worth the time to watch. Back then, I never felt like I was wasting my tmie watching an anime. Even something as banal as the Guyver had a certain type of creative weight to it. Even the average stuff from that time period felt worthy of exposure.

Today's stuff feels so soulless by comparison. Don't mistake this for old man nostalgia. I like some modern anime well enough, but I have no passion for it. I don't go out of my way to watch it.

This. So much, this.

The above also sums up how I feel about gaming these days.

2004 was the line in the sand for me. Mid year, infact. Was hype as shit, for FLCL airing on Adult Swim in the US...(admittedly, for the Pillows soundtrack as much as the Gainax drawlings)

By the time I moved to Japan that fall, & SteamBoy & Naruto were on the big screen...I was done.

*All* of my classmates flocked to the Naruto feature (I was and still am, 'meh' on that brand of ninja-ing)-while I caught SteamBoy.

Fuck, was I let down.

The bottom legit fell out for my anime fandom when SteamBoy's main baddy appeared on the screen, and was the *same* character design as Akira's antagonist.

I distinctly remember muttering out loud to myself, "we waited this long for an new Otomo feature-and we are getting the celluloid equivalent of a palette swap?!?"

Getting older is hard. Boy, am I glad to have been a 20th century youth.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
I tried to like Steamboy. Pacing was too slow and I found it really boring.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The only good thing about Steamboy were some of the promo posters for it.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Even a show like Shingeki No Kyojin/Attack on Titan, that everyone is going bonkers for right now with its dark themes and mature character arcs....I'm watching it with a mildly curious eye. I distinctly remember thinking:

This is what everyone's so excited about? Back when I was heavily invested in anime, this would have been an average show, pure middle of the pack fare.

In today's anime climate, Titan is hailed as some sort of storytelling marvel. That tells you something about the state of the biz today. A lot of it probably has to do with the current economy and how to be profitable, I'd guess.

I'll be honest with you, after watching the whole series and catching up with the manga, I agree with you. Pretty boring show overall, pointless to get attached to any one character (because they all die), and, for some reason, they go off on some BS revolution shit while there are titans outside the wall ready to kill them.

I mean, at this point, I'm not even sure where the author's going with this series...

Jon

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
BUMP.

I finally got the box set of Genesis Climber Mospeada for a good price.

Here's my updated list of '80s stuff I've picked up:
Spoiler:

Mobile Suit Gundam - 0079, Zeta Gundam, Char’s Counterattack, War in the Pocket, 0083 Stardust Memory, F-91, 08th MS Team, Miller’s Report
Akira
Crusher Joe
Patlabor the Movie
Cyber City Oedo 808
Project A-Ko
Bubblegum Crisis
AD Police
Bubblegum Crash
Gunbuster
Venus Wars
Space Adventure Cobra - movie
The Dirty Pair - Series, Features, OVA
Royal Space Force
Riding Bean / Road Buster
Megazone 23
Demon City Shinjuku
Battle Angel Alita
Vampire Princess Miyu Series 1
Outlaw Star
MD Geist - Film

And here's what I'm still looking for:
Spoiler:

Vampire Hunter D
MD Geist - OVA
Neo Tokyo
Gall Force
The Super Dimension Fortress Macross
Legend of Lemnear
Hades Project Zeorymer
Dangaioh
Fist of the North Star
Biohunter
Wicked City

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
BUMP.

I finally got the box set of Genesis Climber Mospeada for a good price.

Spoiler:

Mobile Suit Gundam - 0079, Zeta Gundam, Char痴 Counterattack, War in the Pocket, 0083 Stardust Memory, F-91, 08th MS Team, Miller痴 Report
Akira
Crusher Joe
Patlabor the Movie
Cyber City Oedo 808
Project A-Ko
Bubblegum Crisis
AD Police
Bubblegum Crash
Gunbuster
Venus Wars
Space Adventure Cobra - movie
The Dirty Pair - Series, Features, OVA
Royal Space Force
Riding Bean / Road Buster
Megazone 23
Demon City Shinjuku
Battle Angel Alita
Vampire Princess Miyu Series 1
Outlaw Star
MD Geist - Film

And here's what I'm still looking for:
Spoiler:

Vampire Hunter D
MD Geist - OVA
Neo Tokyo
Gall Force
The Super Dimension Fortress Macross
Legend of Lemnear
Hades Project Zeorymer
Dangaioh
Fist of the North Star
Biohunter
Wicked City

That's a solid list of pick ups. :buttrock: I still regret selling my copy of Crusher Joe. I'm hyped for the release of the Riding Bean Blu-ray this year. That's one of the few shows from that era that I've never watched.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I refrained from listing any show that had been adapted from a comic, because usually the comic is better. And in all three of those cases, I'd say the comic was much better.

What made the Ranma 1/2 comic better other then the series quit well before the comic? It's been years since I really sat down and read the comics, but I think other then Happosai's bath house story (which I vaguely remember) I don't remember anything much different then the other.

-SD-

Camel Slug

Awesome list, I really enjoyed everything on there.

If we can stretch into the early 90s.... SDF Macross 2: Lovers Again and SDC Orguss 02 are fantastic series. I know Macross 2 isn't strictly canon, but it is enjoyable. I haven't watched either series in years, really should see if I can hunt them down.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
That's a solid list of pick ups. :buttrock: I still regret selling my copy of Crusher Joe. I'm hyped for the release of the Riding Bean Blu-ray this year. That's one of the few shows from that era that I've never watched.

Thanks! I got Crusher Joe thanks to Wataru hooking me up. I haven't seen him post in a while. :(

Awesome list, I really enjoyed everything on there.

If we can stretch into the early 90s.... SDF Macross 2: Lovers Again and SDC Orguss 02 are fantastic series. I know Macross 2 isn't strictly canon, but it is enjoyable. I haven't watched either series in years, really should see if I can hunt them down.

Yeah, I'm going to have to get into 90s stuff eventually. I don't mind it at all though; Eva is my favorite series. I read that Macross 2 was panned by fans, and Macross Plus is considered the "true" successor. 2 is pretty short though right? Might as well check it out. I do want to check out SDC Orguss 02, too - has that been officially released on DVD?

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
Dont forget to check out captain tylor, that is more good stuff if you like other space opera type stuff and want a spoof.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Nvm - just found the Orguss box set, which has the full original TV series, but does not have Orguss 2. I'll add that to my list.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
Damn. I've never seen that Macross box set. I've got the first two of the single DVDs - haven't seen the rest in person yet.

Plus there is a Walmart box set going around that has the whole dubbed series for $12.00 brand new.

Also if you love 80's anime and what to get real hardcore later on you might what to invest in a laserdisc player.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Plus there is a Walmart box set going around that has the whole dubbed series for $12.00 brand new.

Also if you love 80's anime and what to get real hardcore later on you might what to invest in a laserdisc player.

How come a laserdisc player? Isn't everything available on DVD?

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member

Well played, M...well played, lol. I'd also like to learn why LD?

Yes, the cover art is Amazeballs-but what else am I missing

**Edit** @ Marc...have you seen this yet?
97d9c8b15d4037ed9b4e90abc839cc6c.jpg

ARIEL is one of my favorite OVA from '89.

Your list of grabs and wants is legit. We'll have to start a 90's one soon.

Last edited:

geise

Mickey's Coach
I have always loved Dagger of Kamui.

I didn't watch much series back in the 80's. I was more into the movies. Of course I watched Robotech when it was on the air. I still have Beta HiFi tapes with all the commercials when Robotech was playing. Kinda funny. One other I'd recommend is Lensman. I've always enjoyed it. I loved reading Doc E. Smith books, so it was nice watching the movie. Five Star Stories is another Anime I wish had more than just the one animation.

There were a couple series I enjoyed. Guyver (late 80's early 90's), Patlabor, and City Hunter.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
ARIEL looks amazing! I've never seen that before. I'll definitely add that to my list.

@geise, My friend and I have been watching blank tapes we recorded on as kids. We're skipping the movies / shows and going straight to the ads. They're so good.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
8497d5ba595901e5789b3fb09b868975.jpg

Not '80s, or Japanese...

But for people who love what we love in this thread, dig it!

The best film Korea has ever made.

-SD-

Camel Slug
Has anyone watched City Hunter? I've always been interested but there's a lot to go through.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Has anyone watched City Hunter? I've always been interested but there's a lot to go through.

I just picked it up. Planning on watching it over the weekend.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Yesterday I showed Wings of Honneamise to my nephew for the first time. I hadn't watched the movie in at least ten years, maybe longer, but man what a great movie.

I feel very much the same. I re-watched Wings of Honneamise a few months ago on HDDVD, ha. When HDDVD lost the war, my local Fry's was clearancing out the HDDVD section, and I was able to buy the little box-set of Wings for like $10. Came with the DVD, HDDVD and an art book, or something. Love the film. It's beautifully drawn.

I've tried to get into Attack on Titan and it seems kinda interesting, but it hasn't really kept my attention. I'm maybe 6 or 7 episodes in. I remember the early to mid 90s when I "discovered" anime. Id loved Robotech as a kid but when I realized there was stuff like Gunbuster, Patlabor, Bubblegum Crisis, Wind named Amnesia, Area 88, Genocyber, Evangelion, Robot Carnival, Zillion, Wicked City, DevilMan, AKIRA, Fist of the North Star, Riding Bean, etc etc, I was in heaven. Man those were awesome shows/movies. Granted Miyazaki and the Ghibli films are still great and have that old-school anime feel, but I can't really get much into current anime now because it's all so crudely drawn and a lot of it is stupid shit like "little girl in school" situations. If it's not about giant robots or fantasty/demons/monsters, I'm just not interested. I do like One Punch Man, and I kinda liked Knights of Sidonia (mainly because it resembles Robotech/Macross mixed with Evangelion). The first season on Netflix was pretty interesting, but the 2nd just got really boring and I never finished it. The other thing I can't really get into are these super-long-ass shows like Bleach. I watched about 10 or so episodes and I really enjoyed Bleach, but when I realized there's like 9 million episodes, I just stopped.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
How come a laserdisc player? Isn't everything available on DVD?

Robot Carnival was one of the last truly "major" laserdisc/vhs anime titles that I was hoping to see on DVD and that finally happened.

Since there's supposedly a redubbed version of Twilight of the Cockroaches now, it's probably only a matter of time before that gets a DVD release from someone.

Outside of those, I can name a few 80s/early90s VHS and Laserdisc hold outs that are mostly caught in rights hell:
Lenseman
Clash of the Bionoids
Final Fantasy: Legend of the Crystals
E.Y.E.S. of Mars
Super-Deformed Double Feature

Was also going to list Lupin's Greatest Capers, but Discotek is going to release the second Lupin III series at some point soon on DVD.