Recommend me the best 80s anime

Tyshalle

n00b
I love me some Hokuto no Ken. So good @_@

you_are_already_dead-nhmb4.jpg

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I love this thread; we should have a 70's one, too.

@ fXs...you watch any Crusher Joe yet?

1983's Crusher Joe: The Movie is the bizness.

No, I just looked it up and it looks awesome. I do want to finish the UC Gundam stuff first though.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
No love for Akira?

I love akira.
I have a little book shelf shrine dedicated to it.
Wish they would do something with the franchise
even if it was terrible like people were
projecting the us remake to be.

Sixth

Sakura's Bank Manager
It’s been mentioned, but I feel it bears repeating: Robot Carnival.

fake

15 Year Member
I love akira.
I have a little book shelf shrine dedicated to it.
Wish they would do something with the franchise
even if it was terrible like people were
projecting the us remake to be.

Some French asshole is making a live action version. The trailer has a white Tetsuo talking and wearing Kaneda's jacket.

fake

15 Year Member
So I went to buy the Genesis Climber Mospeada DVD set today. It was about $50 last year. Now it's $125. WTF.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
So I went to buy the Genesis Climber Mospeada DVD set today. It was about $50 last year. Now it's $125. WTF.
Didn't it go out of print ? That could be the reason why it's spiked in price.

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
Did someone say Robotech? This is the epitome of my childhood. Me sitting glued to the tv set watching the greatest space opera of all time. Of course the original Macross anime had more content which was edited for the American audience, it was Robotech that introduced me to the genre. No other series means as much to me.

8131944902_9f8ce43d2a_b.jpg

fake

15 Year Member
Damn. I've never seen that Macross box set. I've got the first two of the single DVDs - haven't seen the rest in person yet.

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
Damn. I've never seen that Macross box set. I've got the first two of the single DVDs - haven't seen the rest in person yet.

Yeah, it was just pure luck that I happened to find it on the 'bay when I did. Pretty pricey but well worth it. Fully remastered and English subtitled to boot. Misa Hayase never looked so good!

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Where were you when they first got released !? There was the amigo release which mai shows above and then,there was the adv films release.

fake

15 Year Member
Where were you when they first got released !? There was the amigo release which mai shows above and then,there was the adv films release.

In college with no money.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,

Check Ebay and Amazon Marketplace for used ones. I am rewatching my set for the 5th time and I love this show. I wish it included the OVA Love,Live,Alive like the Japanese release did but I found a good fansub out there.

I got the Animeigo Macross set on day 1. It came in a different Box and had a special motion card included. Now I paid $250 bucks for that!! Later on it was I think $100.00 via Robotech.com

Last edited:

fake

15 Year Member
Check Ebay and Amazon Marketplace for used ones. I am rewatching my set for the 5th time and I love this show. I wish it included the OVA Love,Live,Alive like the Japanese release did but I found a good fansub out there.

I got the Animeigo Macross set on day 1. It came in a different Box and had a special motion card included. Now I paid $250 bucks for that!! Later on it was I think $100.00 via Robotech.com

Yeah, I'll definitely have to keep an eye out. In the meantime, I'm getting the first Dirty Pair box.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Life Devourer X/ルーツ・サーチ 食心物体X

2476.jpg

fake

15 Year Member
I started Gundam Stardust Memory tonight and it's pretty awesome. I went onto Amazon to get F91 and 08th MS Team. MS Team is super expensive now. Gonna have to hope I can find it used for a reasonable price.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
wow, you weren't joking. i remember buying it a few years ago for like, 30 bucks maybe on amazon?
too bad the show doesn't live up to the hype.
i'd honestly rather re-watch stardust memories again, if only for the slick animation.

fake

15 Year Member
Since this has happened to me twice now, I think I'm just going to drop a ton of money on all the series I want to eventually watch and get them while they're affordable.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I started Gundam Stardust Memory tonight and it's pretty awesome. I went onto Amazon to get F91 and 08th MS Team. MS Team is super expensive now. Gonna have to hope I can find it used for a reasonable price.
Yeah it's a shame.Ever since bandai call it quits on selling anime,any gundam release has gone up in price.I sill like to get gundam the 8th ms team and war in the pocket still,but man those prices.Id just wish some other company could 'get rights again for a dvd/bluray release.

Last edited:

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
Geno Cyber
Battle Angel Alita
Doomed Megalopolis

tough i believe this is more early 90's...

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Man, those Gundam DVD sales are insane. So glad I bought them all when they were new.

Still wish they would have released ZZ and Victory.

ZZ's first half is almost unwatchable but it really redeems itself when it decides to take itself seriously.

Victory is a LOT better than its critics give it credit for. Very bleak at times, but I still really liked it.

Both were part of that classic UC era of Gundam releases.

Stardust Memory has aged surprisingly well. It still looks really good and has some really great charater dynamics. I remember not liking how it broke continuity with all the technology it introduced and then had to also erase from the storyline, but once I decided to just accept it and get over my Gundam fanboy mindset, it's pretty great. Although I still like War in the Pocket more because of its stronger ties to the original series and its passing fanservice acknowledgements to Mobile Suit Gundam.

8th MS Team didn't leave much of an impression on me when I watched it, and felt Shiro was kind of a bad choice for a lead character, but I'd have to give it a watch again to see if I have a different impression.

Thinking about Gundam reminded me of G Gundam, which then reminded me that Yasuhiro Imagawa directed that series.

And then I was reminded of Yasuhiro Imagawa's masterpiece, Giant Robo: The Animation. Which, not coincidentally, is the reason I chose Taiso as my online handle.

WATCH GIANT ROBO: THE ANIMATION IF YOU HAVEN'T.

It's pretty fucking rad.

EDIT: Some of this stuff we're talking about is not 80s animation. Don't care. Still awesome.

Last edited:

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
While not 80's and since the 70's was mentioned Gatchaman is getting a complete series + OVA collected rerelease in dvd and blu ray form

DVD set
Blu ray

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member

wow, you weren't joking. i remember buying it a few years ago for like, 30 bucks maybe on amazon?
too bad the show doesn't live up to the hype.
i'd honestly rather re-watch stardust memories again, if only for the slick animation.

The DVD set was $31.48 last week even (http://camelcamelcamel.com/Mobile-Suit-Gundam-Legends-Complete/product/B001K98MLE). That's one of the craziest price spikes I've seen on Amazon. It must've just gone OOP/Amazon just ran out of its inventory of the set, and now third-party sellers are moving in with the price-gouging.