Anyone playing Sin & Punishment: Star Successor?

jt4mtb

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
This game has me playing my Wii quite a bit lately. Such a fun shooter from Treasure; though the last few levels have been kicking my ass. I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to try playing it on hard mode.

954365_20100224_790screen006.jpg

954365_20100224_790screen025.jpg

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
I guess this more or less counts as a shooter.

Anyway, I finished it up on the hardest setting a week ago.

I'm not a high score guy so I didn't mess around with that much.

Incredible game.

Balls hard towards the end for sure.

Easily the best game on the system.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Yeah, I finished it on Normal. It's a great game, but I don't like how you're given infinite continues.

iluvmonsterz

Edo Express Delivery Guy
yep amazing game...havent finished it though...need more time in my day...

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I got stuck on the sword bitch and I quit playing it when DQIX came out.

I'll get around to it again eventually.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Miloš Šarčev;3032979 said:
I guess this more or less counts as a shooter.

Anyway, I finished it up on the hardest setting a week ago.

I'm not a high score guy so I didn't mess around with that much.

Incredible game.

Balls hard towards the end for sure.

Easily the best game on the system.
Agreed. I played Metroid Trilogy hoping that the aiming system was going to be amazing but no, I really couldn't get into it unlike this game which draws you in from the get go.

guigui

n00b
I've been playing A LOT of this game during the last 18 months, both JP and PAL releases. Just got the 1 Credit Clear on Normal about a month ago though.

It did definitely give me one of the most satisfying experience on video games ever.

If someone wants to talk strategy and scoring tips, I'll be glad to help.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Nice, once I have to time to spend on this game I'll be in contact, although a little primer talk wouldn't hurt.

guigui

n00b
Nice, once I have to time to spend on this game I'll be in contact, although a little primer talk wouldn't hurt.

Huum, ok.

I usually play with ISA, so I'll deal with him mainly.

SHOT : your standard continuous shot. Hold the fire (B by default) button and blast your way through everything, yay ! The SHOT goes for 20 damage per second.

CHARGED SHOT : hold the charged shot button (A by default) for a moment until your pistol shines. Release and your charged shot is on its way. It deals a tremendous damage of 150 to all enemies that are in its radius of action, which is pretty large, yay again ! In order to charge shot again, you have to wait for about 7 seconds that the circle bar empties, you'll hear a "ding" when your charge shot is ready again.

LOCKED SHOT : this one is a little trickier. Place your aim on the target you want to lock and press the A button. You'll hear a sound and your reticule will change shape and announce "locked". Now your shot is locked and will always hit the target until it dies, or leaves the screen, or you press A again. The LOCKED SHOT goes for only 10 damage per second.

SWORD : this one is extremely useful ! Just press the A button and you'll swing your sword. The sword only hits enemies that are close to you. One swing of the sword is 25 damage I think.
If you mash the A button, you'll start a sword combo :
- One press on A : one sword strike
- Two presses on A : two sword strikes
- Three presses on A : FIVE sword strikes
So, with a full five combo, you'll deal 125 damage, almost like with a charged shot. Remember though, that the more sword trikes you give, the more time you need to recover afterward : after a five sword combo, you'll be vulnerable for quite a long time.
Moreover, sword has a "cancel" effect. A lot of the shoot that enemies send at you are actually cancellable via the sword. Exceptions mainly are fire and laser shot.
More important again, sword has a "repelling" effect ! A lot of missiles that enemies send to you may be repelled to them with the sword, dealing damage between 10 and 100 depending on the missile. First exemple : you see that last part in Stage 0 where robots fall down at the foreground and guys above in the background send rockets to you ? Well, just stand, aim at a robot, dont shoot and wait for a rocket to come close to you. When it is close enough, just swing your sword and, yay ! The rocket is sent back to the robot which is immediately destroyed. This, by the way, releases a silver coin which gives points. Those silver coins arethe most important source of points in the game. But we'll come to this later maybe.
Once again, I repeat that almost everything that looks like missiles or stuffs coming at you to hit you may be deflected this way. Don't hesitate to try !
Finally, some close attacks or those huge bosses may also be cancelled by the sword. First exemple that come to my mind is turtle keeper slashing hand attack and bite attack. There are a lot more.
Well, as you see, the sword is REALLY essential part of the gameplay.

ROLL EVADE : press the Z button while holding a direction. This gives you the standard Treasure rolling escape. You are completely unvulnerable during a roll. Beware though of not rolling directly into some trouble. Also be warned that right after rolling your movement speed is quite slower for a moment, and you cant roll right away again.

I can also explain the scoring system if you like.

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Great infos, gg. Please keep it coming! I'm interested in the scoring system and coins. Thx.

guigui

n00b
Great infos, gg. Please keep it coming! I'm interested in the scoring system and coins. Thx.

Scoring system ? You mean that thing that makes the game even more addictive than addictive ? Ok, let's go !

Here are the main ways to earn points :

DEAL DAMAGE : you earn 100 points per one damage dealt to any ennemies. Remember that shot deals 20 damage per second, charged shot deals 150 damage to all ennemies in a quite huge radius of action, sword deals 25 damage per strike etc...
Consequenlty, a full second spent on shooting a enemy is worth 100*20 = 2000 points. Note that there is no points earned for actually defeating an enemy unlike in any standard shooter.

COLLECT COINS : you earn 1000 points for a bronze coin, 5000 for a silver coin, 10,000 for a gold coin.

DESTROY BOSSES : you gain 1000 points for every second remaining when you destroy a boss, this is the time bonus.

STAND ON THE FLOOR : you earn points for standing on the floor. A little for just standing, a little more for walking, again more for running. This is not a big source of points though, dont focalize on it.

FINISH STAGES : you earn 1000 points per points of life remaining at the end of stage

COLLECT SPECIAL MEDALS : at the end of the stage, you earn 200,000 points for each special medal collected during the stage. If you collect a medal, then die before the stage ends, the medal is not counted.

Here is the main way to earn BIG POINTS :

MULTIPLIER : multiplier varies from x0 to X16.
Every points you earn in the previous described ways is multiplied by the current value of your multiplier. Read this sentence again, and again, and again until you make sure you understand that multiplier is the most important aspect of scoring.
Lets take an exemple. You collect a silver coin while your multiplier is x1, you gain 5000 points. You collect the same silver coin while your multiplier is x16, you gain 80,000 points !
Another exemple : you shoot a big enemy during a whole second while x1, you earn 2000 points. You shoot the same enemy for the same duration while x16, you earn 32,000 points.

The only exception to this rule are special medals that always give 200,000 points

CONTROL THE MULTIPLIER :
Each enemy destroyed increases your multiplier by 0,0625. If you prefer, you need to destroy 16 enemies in order to have your multiplier increase by one.
Your multiplier decreases dramatically when you get hit.
Understand it, if you want to have high multiplier, destroy a lot of stuff, and do not get hit ! This is very easy as may imagine.

Main scoring tricks

-As said previously, and this is easy, always keep your multiplier at x16. In other words, don't get hit.
-Destroy the most stuffs possible, charged shot is good for that.
-Deflect missiles (I'll develop this right after)
-DONT GET HIT !

Deflect missiles

Whenever you deflect a missile and destroy something with it, you will release a silver coin. This coin is worth 5000 points ... well actually 80,000 points since your multiplier is obviously at x16 by that time (remember it is easy to keep it at x16).
There is more to it. When you deflect a missile, it actually explodes when it reaches its target, creating a small area around it in which it deals damage too. This means that if you deflect a missile to an enemy surrounded by other enemies, you'll destroy them all with the deflected missile and release one coin per enemy, thus BIG POINTS !
The first exemple that comes to mind is the final boss of stage 0. Have you noticed that those crates above its head may be destroyed ? There are 48 of them if I remember correctly. When you come at the boss jus wait until it sends you those red pills that explode vertically in a line of fire. Those pills are actually missiles that can be deflected. Here is the deal : aim at a crate, get close to a pill that has not exploded yet and DEFLECT ! Yay, the pill is sent back to the crate, destroys it along with the other crates around, releasing a silver coin per crate destroyed. Repeat until you destroy all the crates.
Lets do a little math here : 80,000 points per crate (of course you have x16 multiplier, this is so eas... ok I stop it), 48 crates, this gives 3,840,000 points. Note that best worldwide scores on stage 0 are about 25 millions points, you see that the crates trick is of the most importance.

Throughout the game, there are a lot of missiles that may be deflected and a lot of enemies waiting to be destroyed by them.
See those big missiles on the second screenshot at the top of this page ? Those are not your enemies : deflect, deflect, DEFLECT !

Random scoring stuff

- If you get to a medium life refill box (white box) with already full life, it will release a gold coin instead, 10,000 points (affected by multiplier)
- If you get to a full life refill box (red box) with already full life, it will release a special medal instead, 200,000 points, unaffected by multi
- Cancelling bullets with the sword is worth some points
- Some boss are better be "milked" (wait for them to send stuff at you in order to destroy them) rather than killed quickly. You'll get more points from the milking than from the time bonus. First exemple that comes to mind is stage 2 submarine ship boss, the form where some turrets and missiles launcher guys appear regularly. Hope you see my point here, wait for missiles to arrive and deflect them at the turrets, wait and repeat.
- When milking bosses, be sure to kill them before the timer ends though, since one the timer reaches 0, your multiplier decreases at incredibly fast speed, you dont want this to happen.

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Thanks for the great infos on this game! I really enjoyed reading your work. Have you written any FAQs or primers for any CAVE shooters?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
That's top notch info right there, thanks a bunch. I saved it all just in case. ;)

guigui

n00b
Thanks for the great infos on this game! I really enjoyed reading your work. Have you written any FAQs or primers for any CAVE shooters?

You're welcome. I did not write anything about cave shooters since I dont have to them anyway.

All those stuffs I wrote about SP2 are just basics about the gameplay and scoring system.