I'm getting published!

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
So, what do they pay for something like that? It can't be a lot, can it?

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.

Word on the street is he was payed upwards of two million dollars.

But seriously, this is really cool Deuce, congrats.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
Hey, hey. Look what came in the mail. MONEY!

pepharytheworm

Super Sidekicks 3
Since you want say the amount. Did they pay you an appropiate amount for the amount of hrs you put into the translation? I am sure no matter what its worth it to you since you weren't trying to sell it or were you? But if you were offered the same amount to do, let's say a game you don't care for would you do it for the same amount.

Congrats either way its nice to know your hard work can be reconized. Now translate more rpgs so xseed brings over more games.:D

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member

A bit of wisdom from one of my profs:

How do you make a small fortune as a writer? Start with a large fortune...

She also asked: What's the difference between a large cheese pizza and a writer? The pizza can feed a family of four.

Still, who cares about the money. Well, OK, money is fucking sweet. But, using Deuce as an example, how much fucking more sweet would it be to have your work, that you did as a fan of something, turn out to become original source material. It's pretty much akin to the student becoming the master, or at least the learned apprentice. Any cash dotted on top is a bonus. We should all be so lucky as to be recognized for doing what we love.

Last edited:

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
Hey, hey. Look what came in the mail. MONEY!

Well notwithstanding the amount paid, was the payout at least worth the time you put into it?

And from my knowledge, Xseed is a very small publisher, but being as small as they are, they are very passionate about getting the formula right. In my mind, they are the new working designs. (Them and aksys) And may even use your services in the future.

Congrats man, and I honestly mean that.

Last edited:

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
Huge congrats man.

It's probably gonna feel even better the first time you see a copy sitting on a store shelf and know..I helped make that happen.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
Since you want say the amount. Did they pay you an appropiate amount for the amount of hrs you put into the translation? I am sure no matter what its worth it to you since you weren't trying to sell it or were you? But if you were offered the same amount to do, let's say a game you don't care for would you do it for the same amount.
Well, the translation was originally done purely for love of the series. I was expecting no money from it at all. I just wanted people to be able to play the games in English. The amount I received was less than it might have been as a full-time staffer, but as this is essentially found money, a big point on my resume, and a permanent, official mark on my favorite game series of all time, I was willing to accept the deal, particularly since the work had already been done.

Well notwithstanding the amount paid, was the payout at least worth the time you put into it?
Given how quickly I did the game, certainly (it was purely script work, as I didn't have to do any of the hacking). It happened during a time that my previous job afforded me ridiculous amounts of free time, plus I was single and had no kids and only a single cat sharing my residence. That, combined with my enthusiasm, enabled me to translate about 5000 strings of Japanese text in seven days.

-Hibikster-

Bead Banger
Congratulations man, definitely a hell of an accomplishment.

I just saw the youtube vid you posted....that game looks fun as hell with incredible music! How can I get my hands on this?

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Pretty awesome stuff man. I'll be sure and pick it up when it comes out, along with 7 and the book I & II update.

The Nuge approves!

CrackerMessiah

Fu'un-Ken Master
That, combined with my enthusiasm, enabled me to translate about 5000 strings of Japanese text in seven days.

For what it's worth, I think I can appreciate that "string" count in that short of a time frame. Again, well done.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Good going man! I heard they are getting the rights to Falcom games. I'll support it and pick it up when it comes out. When does it come out?

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Pretty fucking awsome, congrats!

Gameplay vid looked like fun, I'll have to check it out when it's released.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Not in a book or magazine, but a game. My translation of Ys: The Oath in Felghana from Japanese to English, which I did back in early 2005 upon the game's PC release, was purchased by XSEED for use with the forthcoming U.S. release of the PSP port of the game.

For anyone curious, the later installments play much like a very fast, action-focused Zelda. Hit the link for some gameplay from the PC version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4YlFiR61RM

21 years after discovering the series, my obsession pays off. ;D

That's great!

I've been working on the official FF4advance translation for Square-Enix, and it was a great experience, one of the most enriching one. Yet again, seeing a job done out of pure passion being professionally acknowledged as good and publication worthy may be even more satisfactory.

Congrats to you! :buttrock:

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
awesome CONGRATURATION!

Also reminded me of how I always wanted to give that series a try. gonna go blow the dust off my PC engine and get a history lesson.

P00t

Fuck eBay & PayPal,
Werd on the street is he got $19,000, not bad going.

Castor Troy

The Esfinter that theMot Chupame's
Congrats! I know a few people who love that game. Here's hoping it's a big hit.

Celestein

n00b
As a semi-frequent post on Seldane's Ys forums(and have thus used your translations already) I am constantly amazed at what a small internet it is.

Glad to see your work getting it's due, even though I play the games in Japanese anyways, I still donated for the translations all those years ago ^^.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Awesome news, man. I'll be keeping an eye for the upcoming release to pick it up. Since they're dubbing your script, perhaps you'd get a chance to see their recording sessions as well.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
I have never read a thread about/with Deuce that was this light and positive.Best of maybe?
Seriously though,congratulations Deuce,you must be really proud(i would)

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
Not in a book or magazine, but a game. My translation of Ys: The Oath in Felghana from Japanese to English, which I did back in early 2005 upon the game's PC release, was purchased by XSEED for use with the forthcoming U.S. release of the PSP port of the game.

For anyone curious, the later installments play much like a very fast, action-focused Zelda. Hit the link for some gameplay from the PC version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4YlFiR61RM

21 years after discovering the series, my obsession pays off. ;D

Awsome! I gotta pick up the game so I KNOW who to bitch about for little nitpicky things like overtranslating Varestine to Valestein...

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Congrats Deuce.

Nice that your fan project was able to pay off in unexpected ways. You got cash and more people will be able to enjoy this series!