DEMON'S SOULS (strategies, warnings and discussion)

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Ok, I admit that maybe I'm being a tad hasty in my judgment. I was just so frustrated to have my ass handed to me constantly so early into the game. I'll give it another day or two and see if it grows on me.

See I never got this. The game can be difficult at times, but the key is patience, patience, patience. I think people are trying to play this game a little more rushed than they should. If you try and go too fast, the game can over take you. It's about diligence and perseverance. I didn't have trouble with the game until the second half of the first area. And if you are getting killed, or enemies are too hard, step back and go somewhere else. If you try and advance too far too quickly, you'll be batted down.

As Yoda would say, patience.

BryLmoo

AES Contact Cleaner, Extraordinaire!!!,
20 Year Member
Ok, I admit that maybe I'm being a tad hasty in my judgment. I was just so frustrated to have my ass handed to me constantly so early into the game. I'll give it another day or two and see if it grows on me.

keep the game. believe me. keep playing it and you'll understand why it's soo good. i had to play the first area over and over again too until i got the hang of it.

make sure you are targeting enemies when you're attacking them... be patient with it, and just have fun. dying is a part of the game.

=)

remember, there's more than one way through a level....try every possible way through. some are impossible when you're just starting out.

Castor Troy

The Esfinter that theMot Chupame's
I agree with Jedah and Bry. Patience.
Also DON'T go facing that Red Eyed Knight on that one bridge. You go there later in the game. Instead, face the Blue Eyed Knight by the fog door.

IsamuBlue

Formerly Megatron2929
Alright guys! I'm about to give this another go. If anyone wants to join me, my PSN is in my sig.

BryLmoo

20 Year Member
i'm collecting shards from the boletarian palace right now...trying to grind some...it's amazing how much you can get by just going from stage to nexus to stage to nexus...

IsamuBlue

Formerly Megatron2929
What character are you using?

A friend recommended I use Royalty for the silver arrow spell that can take out most beginner enemy's in one hit. I don't like the rapier I start with though. I may change it up.

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I keep getting my ass handed to me by that knight with the spear in the first section after the tutorial. Any suggestions?

I'm playing a Soldier.

Castor Troy

The Esfinter that theMot Chupame's
I keep getting my ass handed to me by that knight with the spear in the first section after the tutorial. Any suggestions?

I'm playing a Soldier.

Sounds like you're going the wrong way. If it's a lone knight on a bridge, you need to be around lv 30.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member

I'm playing a Soldier.

Don't try to kill him until you're a few levels higher (30 maybe?) I don't remember what lvl I was when I killed him...there is another way, which involves luring him to the tower on the other side of the catapult wall area. You can make him fall to his death. Not a bad way to make 2k souls early on in the game. You get him to fall off where the two barrels are on the wooden stairs with all the flame sword skeleton guys.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I love rpg's. Should I grab this game? Gonna be finished with uncharted soon.

NebraskaDragon

GO BIG,
I've been seeing things pop up about this game more and more recently. It seems like it is worth trying, but I am concerned I won't be able to handle the difficulty level. In my 'old' age, my patience with hard games seems to be diminishing.

DeadPixels

Beast Buster
Don't try to kill him until you're a few levels higher (30 maybe?) I don't remember what lvl I was when I killed him...there is another way, which involves luring him to the tower on the other side of the catapult wall area. You can make him fall to his death. Not a bad way to make 2k souls early on in the game. You get him to fall off where the two barrels are on the wooden stairs with all the flame sword skeleton guys.

I never even thought to try to make him fall to his death. That bastard impaled me countless times with that charge while luring him into the room between the bridge and catapults.

The best strategy I found for taking him out was to use my Dozer Axe (fuse a Grey Demon's Soul with a +6 battle axe). Two handed attacks with the Dozer Axe make short work of this brute's defenses.

I'd imagine other heavy weapons, like the Butcher Knife or the Dragon Bone Smasher works just as well, but I always had the best luck with my Dozer.

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
I'm about to sell my copy, just because I've progressed pretty far into the game, but don't feel like grinding anymore to level up enough to feel like I can actually beat another level....

First off, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS use the ring that makes it harder for enemies to detect you. This is the best way to keep from being ganged up on, which coincidentally is the beest way to avoid death.
I strongly reccomend using the Cling Ring while playing in soul form, as well - having 1.5 times as much health than you would normally is essentially forgoing several level-ups each time you're in soul form.

The rest of the advice here is basically for players who want to grind to level up as efficiently as possible early in the game.
After beating Phalanx and making it to the Nexus, START WITH LEVEL 4-1. That is, the one with all of the skeletons with blue eyes. Each one is worth 294 souls if it's weilding a sword, or around 3/4 as much with a bow. That's enough experience to level up FAST early in the game.
Get to know their attack patterns. and practice dodging when they lift the sword up behind them. Get used to blocking their attacks other than that one.(This applies to the ones with swords - the ones with bows are comparatively easy - walk up and attack nonstop.)

Advice similar to the advice above can be applied to level 4-2, except it's worth far more!
At the beginning of 4-2, progress into the large room with 2 bridges across it, and run across the left bridge, past the phantom-esque enemies, until you reach the area most of the way across that's largely destroyed. Jump down to the right here, and you'll practically land on top of the grim-reaper-y guy there. A few quick slashes, if you're at a high enough level, and you'll take him out. This yields nearly 5000 souls, which as of when I was giong there was one level up each time I ventured into the level.
Also, the blue-eyed skeletons in this level are now worth 800-1200 souls, and are well worth killing once you get down the strategy for killing the grim reaper.

On an unrelated note, don't get greedy - remember each time you leave and come back to this level, there are just as many enemies worth just as many souls, and you'll have full health again.

Hopefully this helps someone!

-Collin

DeadPixels

Beast Buster
I'm about to sell my copy, just because I've progressed pretty far into the game, but don't feel like grinding anymore to level up enough to feel like I can actually beat another level....

First off, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS use the ring that makes it harder for enemies to detect you. This is the best way to keep from being ganged up on, which coincidentally is the beest way to avoid death.
I strongly reccomend using the Cling Ring while playing in soul form, as well - having 1.5 times as much health than you would normally is essentially forgoing several level-ups each time you're in soul form.

The rest of the advice here is basically for players who want to grind to level up as efficiently as possible early in the game.
After beating Phalanx and making it to the Nexus, START WITH LEVEL 4-1. That is, the one with all of the skeletons with blue eyes. Each one is worth 294 souls if it's weilding a sword, or around 3/4 as much with a bow. That's enough experience to level up FAST early in the game.
Get to know their attack patterns. and practice dodging when they lift the sword up behind them. Get used to blocking their attacks other than that one.(This applies to the ones with swords - the ones with bows are comparatively easy - walk up and attack nonstop.)

Advice similar to the advice above can be applied to level 4-2, except it's worth far more!
At the beginning of 4-2, progress into the large room with 2 bridges across it, and run across the left bridge, past the phantom-esque enemies, until you reach the area most of the way across that's largely destroyed. Jump down to the right here, and you'll practically land on top of the grim-reaper-y guy there. A few quick slashes, if you're at a high enough level, and you'll take him out. This yields nearly 5000 souls, which as of when I was giong there was one level up each time I ventured into the level.
Also, the blue-eyed skeletons in this level are now worth 800-1200 souls, and are well worth killing once you get down the strategy for killing the grim reaper.

On an unrelated note, don't get greedy - remember each time you leave and come back to this level, there are just as many enemies worth just as many souls, and you'll have full health again.

Hopefully this helps someone!

-Collin

Level 4-2 is, without a doubt, the best place to gain experience early in the game. Like you said, killing death yields 5000+ souls, in addition to that killing the manta creatures on the cliff face in the next room also score you 1300+ per kill, though they can be quite difficult to hit. If you clear this area and progress to the second reaper, you can easily score upwards of 26000 souls per trip. This is more than enough experience to get you a level well into your quest. I used this method up to the end of the game and finished with a soul level of over 80.

A few other words of wisdom.

When fighting False King Arrant, pay close attention as he telegraphs every attack he does.

If False King raises his sword towards you, dive sideways because he will immediately dash at you with a devastating combo which deals heavy damage to you and can shred your stamina. Rolling beside him exposes his back which allows you to deal a few quick shots with melee or arrows.

When the King lowers his sword into the ground and screams he is ready to unleash a devastating area of effect attack. Running is difficult, as the blast radius is tremendous. Your best result is to attack him and interrupt his spell. I prefer to use arrows to interrupt because when you break his attack with a ranged weapon he will regularly try it once or twice more, allowing a few free hits.

Also, be wary at mid-range, as the King will regularly throw overhead swings with his sword which shoot a projectile blast which runs along the ground. Rolling sideways when he raises his sword directly over his head is the best way to block this attack.

Lastly, keep in mind King Arrant is pretty relentless and can cover a great deal of space in short order. Only heal when he is facing you, walking slowly back and forth. If he is standing still, he is moments from attack and will end your life quickly if you drop your guard. This is a very kinetic fight and constant movement and keeping your eyes on his attacks is the key to victory.

Last edited:

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
what exactly does a ship-job entail?

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
what exactly does a ship-job entail?

Jesus dude, stop talking about penises already. SHEESH

So I got my copy today and have been trying to beat 1-1...holy hell this game is like the best blowjob you've ever had but every once in a while your nuts get slapped back into your body.

I'll go back for another stab at it (HA!) in a bit.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I'm glad I got the Asian version, there are some people on the internet saying that the North American version has frequent server problems. I have only experienced blue phantoms being dropped a couple of times, but I forgot I had a program running on my computer which probably interfered.

This game is amazing though. I was told that there are only two servers, one for NA and one for the rest of the world. So, I was beginning to think that since this has been out so long elsewhere that maybe the popularity would wear off, but I was wrong. There are tons of people playing. If you can just go by the white silhouettes you see walking around (other players in the same area as you), then yeah, there are still a lot of people playing. Not only that, but I have been summoned into games, without having to wait long, and black phantoms are constantly menacing about as well.

The game reminds me a lot of Phantasy Star Online because you can go and take on levels, and then bosses with two other people. And you never know when a black phantom is going to come in and try to kill you all! It puts you on the edge of your seat, but it's so fun.

Although, you will get frustrated at times. I beat the spider boss at the end of 1.2 by myself, and then instead of returning to the nexus right away, I chased down a little blue gecko (which I was seeing for the first time). Chased it passed a bunch of demons, and then I died. So then I respawned and chased him down again, thought I had him, but then I got killed by those demons I ran passed. 11,000+ souls down the toilet. Luckily I've been playing with a veteran who knows what he/she is doing and he/she has been giving me plenty of guidance and help.

I wish I wouldn't have waited so long to get this game, when I could have been playing this last March.
Yeah there are glitchs when playing the na demon's souls online.Though...i've level up so much now i sure don't feel like buying the asian version at this point.Right now getting close to finshing the game for a third time.Btw if you realy want to play for who's in your freind list for ds,start by setting up a text chat at least and agree where to meet.I've been doing that lately and it works out so far.

BryLmoo

20 Year Member
bump for this thread. still playing...and still loving it =P

NebraskaDragon

GO BIG,
My playthrough got put on hold for Mass Effect 2. Loved everything so far though! 3-1 is creeping me out!