Rate It!!: Sengoku Edition

Which is the best in the series?

• Total voters

Insaneclown

ICP Suxorz
Say S3 for sure. I need another AES...geeezzzz...I kinda miss playing this games along with others I have.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
Went back to 1 and 2 recently, and they haven't aged well at all. The first is marginally interesting as the apparent progenitor of the Samurai Shodown series, but 2 is just so dull. 3 at least has the combo system to liven things up. Still, none of them hold a candle to Alien vs. Predator for CPS2.

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
Wow, lots of love for Sengoku 3. I find it to be a good game but not really anything like the first two. Honestly I wish they would have called it something else.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Wow, lots of love for Sengoku 3. I find it to be a good game but not really anything like the first two. Honestly I wish they would have called it something else.

I agree. Sengoku 3 isn't a Sengoku at all.

They should have called it Neo Crusaders.

Deuce

A fist by any other name would hit as hard.

astrodan88

King's Dry Cleaner

Agreed. I voted Sengoku 3 because I enjoy it the most of the three, but it's really like apples and oranges.

I would have loved a true sequel to Sengoku 2, with the added depth and late Neo graphics built onto the spirit and game mechanics of the first two.
Ah, what might have been.

Still, none of them hold a candle to Alien vs. Predator for CPS2.
True. AvP is a near perfect brawler. Unfortunately, it does suffer from a bad case of TDL syndrome, which is highly contagious among beat-em-ups.
It's too damn long. Warriors of Fate is another example of Capcom just trying to squeeze in too much.
For my money Punisher was just right length-wise.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
2 easily, Some great bosses and just enough early 90s cheese.

3 gets boring halfway through. Nice game engine though.

1 hasn't aged well at all.

Deuce

True. AvP is a near perfect brawler. Unfortunately, it does suffer from a bad case of TDL syndrome, which is highly contagious among beat-em-ups.

Still, it's honestly hard to complain about too much content in a game typically as bare as beatemups...

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
AVP is a good beat em up for a Supergun owner, not an arcade player.

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
How times have changed. I remember when Sengoku 3 got virtually no love at all here and now its seen as the premier title in the series.

If tastes are changing this much I wonder how long until SvC is heralded as the top fighter on the Neo? :drool:

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I've never owned a scrolling beat em up on the neo. In all my MVS/homecarts, never.

:scratch:

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
What though? I find them pretty dull.

Only sports game I own is NTM too, unless you count windjammers.

Deuce

What though? I find them pretty dull.

If you find one pretty dull, you're likely to find them all dull. The Neo isn't exactly home to the best selection of them, either. Sengoku 3 probably holds up the best of the bunch.

holyver

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
sengoku 3 is boring (too long to kill any bad guy) and looks unfinished
#1 is the best graph but controls are not too good
#2 is better but then the atmosphere is not as pleasing as #1
I go w/ #1

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Well this thread got me back to 1 again and maybe I'll jump on the bandwagon as well. I still think 3 has great gameplay, but the soul is missing.

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
Well this thread got me back to 1 again and maybe I'll jump on the bandwagon as well. I still think 3 has great gameplay, but the soul is missing.

1 is hard for me to play anymore. I find I really have to talk myself into playing it these days. 3 looks nice but, like you said, there's no soul in it. 2 was aces. I need to get another copy.