Retro Gamer magazine's terrible Metal Slug feature --reviewed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SIXPACK

Armored Scrum Object
People take me seriously because I'm incredibly fucking serious about my job. Whereas taking the piss out of complete morons on forums in my spare time is more of a recreation.

You´re a sad little person arent you?´
I fell sorry for you! Serious.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
I think the phrase you're looking for is "told a lot of idiotic lies based entirely on his own hopeless misunderstanding of both the feature and basic English, and which were comprehensively refuted by both the author of the feature and the editor of the magazine", but otherwise good work, carry on.

The most entertaining part of this thread is your delusions that doing something for a long time (journalism in your case) makes you automatically good at it. Compounded with the idea that somehow because you haven't had to look for a job for 15 years makes you generally more awesome.

BTW: Just announced, Larry King is the smartest man in televised media.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
Mine either, love. If the people who commission me start questioning it, I'll worry. When some illiterate retard on the internet does it and a bunch of fuckwits agree with him without even having read the thing in question, you'd be surprised how little sleep I lose.

Then what do you have to lose? Post the damn article. I, for one, would like to objectively read it and see for myself, but no shops in my area carry RG.

strider

duck duck goose
So we're getting to the end of yet another page and STILL no one has produced any proof of any factual errors within the article in question.

Why is everyone bashing Retro Gamer's integretity for poorly written articles when they've not read the article in question and are instead basing their opinions on a lengthy post that STILL doesn't make any mention of a single factual mistake that's been made within the article he's clearly so upset about.

Why are you all blindly following someone who, thanks to his first post, clearly doesn't know what he's talking about? (and by that I don't mean the metal slug franchise, but What Retro Gamer's Definitive Series is). It just doesn't make any sense.

As for posting scans I'd imagine that Imagine Publishing would demand they're taking down before you can say "but they're mummies, not zombies."

Why are you here again? You've already admitted that you don't read RG at all...

Like I said before, I'm here for people to admire.

I say he's just Stuart's e-thug friend who came to back him up...there are plenty of more rewarding trolling opportunities for a random griefer than this.

I've done some highly respectable trolling in this thread for sure. I'm really very good at it - I almost made that Deuce crack a smile before his douchy barrier disappointingly descended again. But my question to you was obviously not a troll in any way. I asked you how you could be cross that Stuart had only responded to your stuff about zombies and not to your criticisms, when you'd written a post that was uniquely about zombies and offered no criticisms at all. It wasn't an enormously tricksy question. But unfortunately you're such an enormous dimbo that you forgot what you wrote, and now you're all cross that it was pointed out. So you're calling me names. Like I say, just let us know if you can't cope with remembering what questions you asked, and no one will be so mean as to trouble you any more.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Aw come on lithy, you can't just ignore the posts where people keep asking you why you're so obsessively deranged about this genuinely semantic point. I asked you very impolitely what your real agenda was, since you're so desperate to score this most sophomoric of points, yet persist in making qualitative statements as to the nature of an article you admit you haven't read. The least you could do is give a stupid, mealy-mouthed non-answer.

People? You are referring to yourself in the plural now I suppose.

I've been done replying to you once I got over the fact that you have nothing to add to this discussion. If you would like to quote me where I called out the quality of the article (without using qualifiers), we can go from there. Other than that, I have no reason to respond to you as I have already declared that my purpose is this one issue. I am no big fan of Bobak's and have not spent any time defending the rest of his review, I am not looking to win points, nor to make sweeping judgments about the entire article if I am correct (which Stu already admitted to not caring what source material would say about it).

He and the editor asked for one factual error. There is one that he has failed to disprove.

lithy

20 Year Member
So we're getting to the end of yet another page and STILL no one has produced any proof of any factual errors within the article in question.

Why is everyone bashing Retro Gamer's integretity for poorly written articles when they've not read the article in question and are instead basing their opinions on a lengthy post that STILL doesn't make any mention of a single factual mistake that's been made within the article he's clearly so upset about.

Why are you all blindly following someone who, thanks to his first post, clearly doesn't know what he's talking about? (and by that I don't mean the metal slug franchise, but What Retro Gamer's Definitive Series is). It just doesn't make any sense.

As for posting scans I'd imagine that Imagine Publishing would demand they're taking down before you can say "but they're mummies, not zombies."

I'd like you to clearly state what you think about calling the enemies in Metal Slug 2 zombies.

Everything else is and has been irrelevent to me, except of course Stu's ridiculous demeanor in defending his work, which is none of your fault.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier

No one can read it because we don't have access to it, reasons being:

1) No one has posted scans/text
2) Your magazine is ridiculously expensive
3) Few brick-and-mortar locations carriy it

I'd love to help pick it apart, but it's kind of hard when Stewie is too busy posting squirrel pictures and calling people cunts to put up his professional output for review.

RevStu

n00b
He and the editor asked for one factual error. There is one that he has failed to disprove.

It's been disproved EXHAUSTIVELY.

1. There are no such things as zombies, so defining them is something of a moot point.

2. There are such things as mummies, but they don't walk around burping toxic gas at you.

3. In the context of the fictitious monster type of mummy, there's no reason a mummy can't also be a zombie, and since its PRIMARY characteristic relevant to gameplay is that of a zombie rather than a mummy, it's perfectly reasonable and accurate to describe it as such. Jibbajabba made this point very eloquently, and more than once.

So in fact, you're talking shit. Have another go. Factual error, please.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier

1. There are no such things as zombies, so defining them is something of a moot point.

2. There are such things as mummies, but they don't walk around burping toxic gas at you.

3. In the context of the fictitious monster type of mummy, there's no reason a mummy can't also be a zombie, and since its PRIMARY characteristic relevant to gameplay is that of a zombie rather than a mummy, it's perfectly reasonable and accurate to describe it as such. Jibbajabba made this point very eloquently, and more than once.

Ok, so that's one refuted. Care to post your article so we can get to the rest of what Bobak posted? :smirk:

RevStu

n00b
Ok, so that's one refuted. Care to post your article so we can get to the rest of what Bobak posted?

Not in the slightest, no. You don't appear able to comprehend simple English, so I don't see how it would help anyway.

strider

duck duck goose
I'd like you to clearly state what you think about calling the enemies in Metal Slug 2 zombies.
Why is that so important to you? Surely we should be discussing the factual errors within the article? After all that's how this all started up.

lithy

20 Year Member

How can a mummy also be a zombie, we don't have a definition of zombie according to #1, and since they are fictional, we can't create one. Yet you claim that they have characteristics of a zombie in #3.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
No no no no no no no no no no no no no. You've quite misunderstood. You see, what you've done there is you've repeated your leader's claim that there was "poor research" in the article. If you want to prove that you're not blindly following his every word, you'll have to say what was poorly researched, like Bobak didn't. I don't imagine you will, because it's pretty unlikely that you'll have read the article, and are in fact just repeating without question. It's cute! Don't be ashamed.

I don't know if there are factual errors or proof of poor research in the article. No one's offered any so far, which indicates there probably isn't. But if there is, by God I'll be so angry with Stuart. I'll be at the front of the line to call him a mean name!

It'll be fun when Bobak starts handing out Kool-Aid!

I'm the cult follower says the guy who joined the boards to, as those wacky Brtis would say, slob on Stu's knob. Again, pot, kettle, black.

So if my choice is between some dried up 41 year old arrogant prick who can't see past his own delusions of grandure and a trusted member of this forum for years, you'll have to forgive me if the latter sounds just a smidge better.

More then likely I'll get around to reading the article myself, but Stu's piss poor reaction, akin to a Gamefaqs rant, pretty much tells me the level of workmanship and quality present in such an article.

Though there is a bright side to all of this. If a "wanker" such as Stu can get a job writing for magazines, the mentally handicapped of our society have another creative outlet other then making houses out of popsicle sticks. Thanks.

lithy

20 Year Member
Why is that so important to you? Surely we should be discussing the factual errors within the article? After all that's how this all started up.

I'll just state that in my eyes, that is a factual error. If you do not believe it to be such that is fine, I would just like to hear that.

In my opinion it would be like conflating the UK and England.

Or in more career appropriate terms, what if he had referred to the rocks in Asteroids as meteors or comets?

Steve

The Wonder Years,
Hi everyone, occasional Neo-Geo.com poster and Retro Gamer editor Darran Jones here.

Despite whoever may be more "right" or "wrong" (or both), as editor of Retro Gamer magazine, Darran, I'm just curious what your thoughts are to the way Stuart has conducted himself here? Some have called his behavior here unprofessional, Stu claims otherwise. He said he doesn't represent the magazine here, while some (myself included) believe there's still a code of professional honor you should uphold. Quite frankly, his behavior has been amazing, and I don't mean "amazing" in a positive light, either. Since you're the editor of the magazine, I'm wondering what your thoughts are on this general subject.

RevStu

n00b
How can a mummy also be a zombie, we don't have a definition of zombie according to #1, and since they are fictional, we can't create one. Yet you claim that they have characteristics of a zombie in #3.

I like you. You're so stupid that you can't grasp how stupid you are, which is by far the funniest kind of stupid.

Tell you what - YOU define what a zombie is and what a mummy is, and we'll take it from there. You're the self-proclaimed expert, after all.

lithy

20 Year Member
I like you. You're so stupid that you can't grasp how stupid you are, which is by far the funniest kind of stupid.

Tell you what - YOU define what a zombie is and what a mummy is, and we'll take it from there. You're the self-proclaimed expert, after all.

Difficult to call me stupid when I was just working within the guidelines you set.

strider

duck duck goose
Ok, so that's one refuted. Care to post your article so we can get to the rest of what Bobak posted? :smirk:
Everything Bobak has stated as being factually incorrect is clearly in his first post have you not read it?

The point is everything in the article he insists is factually incorrect, is not actually factually incorrect, but because he's a respected member of this forum, you'll happily believe him anyway.

He's confused the writer's opinions on the series as being a factual representation of Metal Slug's history and because he doesn't agree with the writer's opinion's he has gotten angry - something I knew would happen as soon as I fell off my chair laughing about the Metal Slug 3 entry when I first read it - which of course is completely missing the point.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Not in the slightest, no. You don't appear able to comprehend simple English, so I don't see how it would help anyway.

Can we please add backpedaling to Stu's illustrious list of journalistic acolades?

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Stu, KanYozakura DOES NOT represent Neo-Geo.com in any way.

Please don't respond to him.

He really is retarded.

Will a mod PLEASE take away Kan's ability to post in this thread?

lithy

20 Year Member
Stu, KanYozakura DOES NOT represent Neo-Geo.com in any way.

Please don't respond to him.

He really is retarded.

Will a mod PLEASE take away Kan's ability to post in this thread?

+1

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
Everything Bobak has stated as being factually incorrect is clearly in his first post have you not read it?

The point is everything in the article he insists is factually incorrect, is not actually factually incorrect, but because he's a respected member of this forum, you'll happily believe him anyway.

He's confused the writer's opinions on the series as being a factual representation of Metal Slug's history and because he doesn't agree with the writer's opinion's he has gotten angry - something I knew would happen as soon as I fell off my chair laughing about the Metal Slug 3 entry when I first read it - which of course is completely missing the point.

Then post the original article so I can judge for myself.

What do you guys have to hide?:smirk:

Status
Not open for further replies.