Sony reduces lifespan estimate of PS3 - The 10-year plan scrapped

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Yeah I was wondering if he was limited to food as well for the gift card.

No, it was a $100 Wal Mart gift card, I could have purchased anything with it. When I bought the PS3, my only intention was getting a decent Blu Ray player for $300 so I really didn't want any extras (I did land up buying the remote later).

Getting something I was going to buy anyway with the card basically made it a wash in my mind. Had I used the $100 to get something stupid, to me that would have been still paying $400 for the system.

Goofy logic I know but that's how I work I guess.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Imagine the price of a 2600 adjusted to inflation.

Price should be the last factor of what system(s) you own.

The controller and games are most important to me. Never got into the n64 because of the controller although I still have mine (Mario Kart is still a blast).

I don't consider the PS3 even at $400 to be over the top for a gaming system.

Here's my systems adjusted for inflation (used this adjuster here: http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl)

NES $200 in 1988: $356 today
SNES $220 in 1991: $341 today
PS1 $299 in 1996: $402.37 today
N64 $249 (If I remember correctly) in 1996: $335 today
PS2 $299 in 2000: $366 today

Here's a few others I didn't own:

2600 $199 in 1977: $693 today.
3DO $699 in 1993: $1021 today
Our Beloved Neo Geo $649 Gold/$399 Silver in 1990: $1048 gold/$644 silver today

Looking at it this way, I don't view the PS3 to be that big of a deal figuring it's also a Blu Ray player...

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
There are plenty of articles on the web right now talking about the rumored $100 price drop...cnet just did a piece on it, saying we very well may see one in april.

That right there would probably be the clincher for me. I was actually debating buying one this weekend, as I have some spare cash, but I just can't motivate myself to do it.

After I buy the system, a single game and add up the taxes I'd be looking at about $520 CDN.

I think I'm just going to buy a shitload of beer instead.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
PS3 is an excellent system, and worth the $650 I paid for mine :make_fac: (it was $850 two years ago) :help:

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
#1 Reason why I bought a PS3 - it can play any fucking video file with the right software wirelessly.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
You wouldn't understand, you play rubbish games lols

Rade K

20 Year Member
how? I must figure this out

PS3 + PS3 Media Server (Free and on Mac, Linux and Windows) + a reasonably modern computer* loaded with video = a machine that can play almost anything from .avi to .mkv

This software is so good that if they decided to ever charge for it, I would actually pay for a license.

* I stream my video from a Macbook with C2D 2.4 Ghz 2GB RAM

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
*gasp* Those money-grubbing bastards! Why, Nintendo never did such a... wait, they did. Well, Sega never... wait, yes they did. Then, surely Microsoft...

The lifespan of the PS2 wasn't planned on. Sony may have hoped for a second homerun with a PS3, but there's no chance they ever counted on it, regardless of what announcements they may have made.

Spoken like someone who doesn't understand the concept of inflation. You can keep $400 in your pocket for five years, and it won't be worth as much a few years later. What's the most you ever paid for a console, and in what year?

The way I see it Sony took a wild and daring route with the ps3 and it didn't really work.

IMO Microsoft and sony switched places this console generation, sony going with the huge expensive tank of a machine and microsoft making a cheap breaks a ton system.

And we all know cheaper systems generally attract more.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
PS3 + PS3 Media Server (Free and on Mac, Linux and Windows) + a reasonably modern computer* loaded with video = a machine that can play almost anything from .avi to .mkv

This software is so good that if they decided to ever charge for it, I would actually pay for a license.

* I stream my video from a Macbook with C2D 2.4 Ghz 2GB RAM

Does the computer need wireless or anything like that?
I'm sorry I'm crap with my ps3 I hardly know most of the features.
I kept trying to hook up my external HDs to it and got crap.

Rade K

20 Year Member
Does the computer need wireless or anything like that?
I'm sorry I'm crap with my ps3 I hardly know most of the features.
I kept trying to hook up my external HDs to it and got crap.

Are you PS3 and computer both hooked up to the same network? It doesn't have to be a wireless network - that's just how I chose to network things in my house. As long as both machines are on the same network, it will work.

VRC-SID

Cheng's Errand Boy
My Xbox 360 is lucky to have a 10 month life span let alone a ten year one. Love my PS3. I use it daily.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
I paid $300 for a SuperGrafx and you know what I got out of it ?

A perfect port.

GodOfHardcore

Galford's Armourer
I know!

SFA2 for the SNES is a great port too. Glad I spent $50 on a SNES.

Actually SFA2 on the SNES is SLOOOOOOOOOOOOW VERY VERY SLOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW Great for those that didn't have a PSX or Saturn at the time though.

About Sony's "10 Year plan"

Sounds like some Nazi scheme to kill off the Jews and Romanies

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Actually SFA2 on the SNES is SLOOOOOOOOOOOOW VERY VERY SLOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW Great for those that didn't have a PSX or Saturn at the time though.

About Sony's "10 Year plan"

Sounds like some Nazi scheme to kill off the Jews and Romanies

Way to win us over with your keen understanding of sarcasm there, dumbass. Next time keep your ignorant babble about Nazis to yourself. Or better yet just shut up for good.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
im torn.

i'd like this generation of console to continue. Let N work out wth they want to do with the Wii. Let M$ gain market share.

I'd like this generation to end. Big N may release a real console, HD even. M$ to make an even better live system. Sony to die, cuz they cant afford to make a new system right now.

Segata_Sanshiro

Tesse's Maintainence Man
15 Year Member
I like hearing the term "X year plan" because it gives everything a communist feel

Soviet Russia was so cool