Neo Geo officially "over"

CJayC

n00b
TOKYO--At the AOU show in Tokyo, Sammy announced that SNK Playmore will be shifting its arcade development platform from the NeoGeo MVS to Sammy's Atomiswave. Three new titles have been announced for release on the Atomiswave: The King of Fighters 2004, Samurai Spirits AW, and Metal Slug 6. No footage or images of the games have been released.

The King of Fighters title that was announced during the AM show last September is also still in development, and its name has been changed to "The King of Fighters NEOWAVE."

“The NeoGeo's games have been played worldwide, but it ran on a 16-bit board that had reached its limits. Producing under a better environment should make the development easier and allow leeway for a higher-quality [game],” commented Youichi Watanabe, chief of Sammy's marketing division. “Within Japan, the AWNET should be able to attract a base of fans in ways that weren't possible with the NeoGeo. In global terms, we should be able to make stable title releases in Asia, Central America, and South America.”

Most of the speaking at Sammy's stage was done by SNK Playmore's chief of development, Kazuya Hirata. Kazuya directed his comments toward three titles that have been announced for the Atomiswave and finished the announcement off with a few words on the NeoGeo platform. Selected quotes from the presentation are below:

King of Fighters 2004:

“As you may know, we've made 10 installments in the King of Fighters series. This will be the 11th sequel,” said Kazuya. “To be honest, this game [series] has been pretty hard to create. We've been adding variations to it, remaking the system each and every time. We've completely remade it when it went into a new chapter in the last game, [KOF] 2003. We're currently in the middle of porting the [game's] system since we're moving to the Atomiswave. We're going to start planning out [for KOF2004], but there's been a lot of ideas that we couldn't do on the NeoGeo, so hopefully we can realize them on the Atomiswave. Graphics and sounds will obviously get better, but we also want to strengthen the gameplay itself. We will be adding new characters this time as well.”

Metal Slug 6:

“Metal[Slug] went through its fifth series, and the next is the sixth release. But we've used up all of our ideas in terms of the action game,” commented Kazuya. “The developers seem to be interested in the [AW]NET, so we're hoping to use it. As the sixth release, we hope to give it an integration of the gimmicks and action elements we've done up to now.”

Samurai Spirits AW:

“Samurai [Spirits] is a game where the characters really stand out. It has a different aspect from the King [of Fighters]. Samurai [Spirits] Zero Special is coming out around April, and we're hoping that it will showcase the last of the NeoGeo [platform],” said Kazuya. “The next one on the Atomiswave will mark the sixth release, just like Metal Slug. And similarly to the Metal Slug, the development team seems like they want to give it all they've done from the past, so there might be some interesting changes. The details aren't concrete enough to be talked about, but it seems like we'll be making some dynamic changes to the characters.”

About the NeoGeo platform and the future of SNK Playmore:

“We've worked with the NeoGeo for 13 years. That's a lot to think about. There have been talks in the past about when we'll stop supporting the NeoGeo, but this is going to be the real end. And that's really an indescribable feeling,” commented Hirata near the end of the press conference.

“We hope to continue developing and to evolve the capabilities [of the Atomiswave]. Other titles are also being considered for release on the Atomiswave.”

Sorry guys, but it's really happening :(

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
:mad: :crying: :very_ang: :annoyed: :blow_top: :mad:

SONS OF BITCHES! *Putting out MOTW 2 and a few other games was sooooooooo going to kill them right? Damn I'm truly pissed off as of reading that, I'm so pissed right now I feel like going down to the Diversions near me and starting a fist fight with someone playing SVC Chaos!

...yes I knew it was coming to this, and we've been talking about it for GOD only knows how long, but it's sad to see the actual nail put into the coffin. SNKP can redeem themselves by making a bad ass IKARI WARRIORS game similar to that of #3 on ATOMISWAVE, or they can... oh who am I kidding... "It's over."

:(

MERCENARY X99

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
Meh. Well it was a great run.
It is truly unfortunate that the last 4 titles that were supposed to see the light of day were not brought up for release. Last Blade 3 would have really been something and MOTW 2 would have been a great way to close out the neo alongside Sam Sho 5 special.

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
My 6 Slot is still working fine, so No, the Neo is not over.

kthxbye.
Mike

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
SNKP is full of sh8t...
If anything,developing for a 16-bit console should have been a snap,now they're moving to Atomiswave where they'll have more power to screw up...
They are simply a company running scared right now that ran out of unfinished works to churn out from the old SNK archives.
Now they can hide under Sammy's skirt and push out the same old sh8t on a GAME MAKER software in an attenmpt to try and WOO the people with special effects surrounding the same rehashed sh8t they threw out on Neo..
Prove me wrong SNKP..
I make my statemements because you failed to even reach the status of the old SNK...
"oh,we need more power to work with...
We shall see won't we.
-BB

gemen

Mickey's Coach
noooo, I go no where.... I want SVCC/MS5/KOF03/SS0SP.

bulletnyourass

noble trader
I knew the end was comnig...but I thought we would at least get Last Blade 3 and Mark Of The Wolves 2 :(:(:( . They aren't even giving their fans a Swan Song game. They're giving us Sam Sho 5 Special. WTf is going to be special about it. They're probably just going to give us the English Translation that was missing from the Original release with probably 1 or 2 extra characters from prior Sam Sho games. :(:(:(.

Phillip

T

TheDjinn

We all knew it eventually had to happen. Too bad SNKP won't support both systems.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Graphics and sounds will obviously get better, but we also want to strengthen the gameplay itself.

So what do you think they will do with the 5th button?

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Sad to see it an era pass. :confused: Hopefully the spirit of what made the neo geo great will be intact on the new platform.

Curt

apostate
Having this thread twice is fucking redundant.... there should only be 1

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Hell, I hope they don't use the fifth button... I want them to stick with four buttons...

Spike

jindo

Sakura's Bank Manager
Well hopefully on a new platform would be dvd rom format to lower the costs. Damn investing on a Neo cart every year is costing me arm and a leg. :(

Sundance

Sho's Rival
NS. Need 2 jobs: 1 for NG stuff and the other to live on. Of course, for some people thats really one in the same :buttrock: