CvS2 Roll Cancel Exhibition

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
For the good CvS2 players out there that don't know about roll canceling - it's time to learn. It's fucking hard, and I can only pull it off with a 25% success rate, but I haven't really put forth the effort to learn it until recently. I got my ass reamed by a dude roll canceling with Blanka at my local arcade and just wanted to scream.

Anyway, roll canceling is canceling the first few frames of your roll animation into something else. Sound easy enough? Not so. You have literally a fraction of a fraction of a second to pull it off. Most characters have more frames of animation in their rolls, but it's still around 25 - 27 for most people (if I recall correctly). Some people can abuse it more than others, but it's still a tactic (I'm just now learning) that you need to know if you plan on playing somebody who does this as well (nothing worse than having a Burn Knuckle go through a taunt). Just keep in mind that RCs only work with Grooves that have rolls in them.

Anyway, here's a nice video that shows what they're capable of. Some of it's just wrong though. Also, if you're playing on XBL, there are no RCs. So onto the video

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
Great video. I heard about roll canceling but never saw it before.

Q

qube

After awhile it becomes second nature. I can do it with linear charge moves and half-circle motions, but quarter circles give me problems. You can also RC a super if you use the negative edge technique, which involves holding the button down while doing the motion, and releasing it right after rolling and finishing the motion. At my local arcade if you can't RC, then you might as well not even play. I saw a guy from Austin named Ryan Harvey trounce all comers at Texas Showdown III last year with his A-Groove team of Sakura/Bison/Blanka by simply RCing everything in sight. He would have won the whole thing if not for running into John Choi and David Hem in the individual brackets. The only sure fire way to defend the RC is by parrying or JDing that shit!

It took me months and months to learn how to RC, but much like with Kara-throws in SFIII: TS, it came with time. I honestly think that RCing breaks the game in competition, but hey, it's there and everyone uses it, so I might as well too. It is the main reason I play in A-Groove instead of K nowadays :rolleyes: If you can't beat 'em, join 'em....

Q-

kafuin_gaira

Viewpoint Vigilante
for fireball motions do it just the same a hcf/hcb. execute the hcf, hitting jab+short at the down position, then pressing the button for the attack you want at the forward position. that's really all there is to it.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I just have a hard time letting it flow during a normal heated match right now (I'm sure it comes easier with a lot more practice). I wouldn't say that RCs break the game though. It's much like Tekken where you just have to use this bug to your advantage at high level play.

Q

qube

kafuin_gaira said:
for fireball motions do it just the same a hcf/hcb. execute the hcf, hitting jab+short at the down position, then pressing the button for the attack you want at the forward position. that's really all there is to it.

Yeah, I can do it on quarter circle motions sometimes, it is just a much lower percentage. On charges and half circles I am probably at around 75% or so, whereas on quarter circles I'm more like 40% or so :( Maybe it's mental, I dunno. I really don't play CvS2 competitively anymore anyway, so it's really not a huge deal. I might not even go to Texas Showdown this year....

Q-

DoNuT kInG

Quiz Detective
i've been playing this game alot and this technique is VERY HARD to master. i found this out accidentaly in training mode but what i don't get is why do this. it's okay as a VERY slight delay tactic but otherwise useless. thats why they shoved in a super jump, arial guard and roll. but yes this technique is very sneaky especially with beni's shinku kategoma.

... in the video the only ones which looked correct is hoahmaru vs eagle and maki vs terry

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
DoNuT kInG said:
i've been playing this game alot and this technique is VERY HARD to master. i found this out accidentaly in training mode but what i don't get is why do this. it's okay as a VERY slight delay tactic but otherwise useless. thats why they shoved in a super jump, arial guard and roll. but yes this technique is very sneaky especially with beni's shinku kategoma.

... in the video the only ones which looked correct is hoahmaru vs eagle and maki vs terry

You're missing the whole point of roll cancelling. When you roll, you have a certain set of frames that are invunerable. The glitch in CvS2 is where you cancel the first 3 frames of the roll into another move, but it still retains the invincibility that comes with the roll.

Why is this technique useless? You have a completely invincible special flying out! I don't know what you were thinking watching the videos, especially with Blanka balling right through a Kim taunt. lolz

K_Dash

Zero's Tailor
I knew about roll cancelling for awhile but never had that happen on me when I play. The one thing I always wanted to know about roll canceling is that, can it even defeat a counter move, like Geese's and Rock's counters? If it does, I'm screwed, if it doesn't, then I know what team to use against a roll canceller.

Shinji

Gai's Trainer
Glad you enjoyed the video :)

edit: Wouldn't it be crazy if an A Groove Akuma RCed a demon flip, then (while they're bouncing off the ground) did a hurrican kick(lk) then activated? (less practical then just RC a lk hurrican kick, but it'd look cool)

Last edited:

seba_boi

Terry Bogard's Taylor
Haha... Funny music for that video... That Rugal move was soooo wrong...

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
seba_boi said:
Haha... Funny music for that video... That Rugal move was soooo wrong...

I was about to say that...

Nice vid.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Spawn76 said:
rc is only in arcade ? or DC , PS2, XBOX ?
thanks for the precision :)

RC is in the PS2 and DC version. It was taken out of the Xbox version because of the online play.

Underdog

Camel Slug
I don't think it's in the GC version either. But who plays CvS2 on the Cube?

Nice video.

Q

qube

Underdog said:
I don't think it's in the GC version either. But who plays CvS2 on the Cube?

Nice video.

You are right, it's not in the Cube version either. You are also right about no one playing there anyways ;)

Q-

OmegaSaber

Beast Buster
Damn! I've heard of it plenty, but this is the first I've seen it. That's some wrong shit in that vid. With the taunts, are they roll cancelling into a taunt? I figured they are since that's the point of the vid but you never know. Anyway, is this easy? seems like it would be but I don't know how to do any of this type of stuff so I have no idea.

Q

qube

OmegaSaber said:
Damn! I've heard of it plenty, but this is the first I've seen it. That's some wrong shit in that vid. With the taunts, are they roll cancelling into a taunt? I figured they are since that's the point of the vid but you never know. Anyway, is this easy? seems like it would be but I don't know how to do any of this type of stuff so I have no idea.

It takes alot of practice to get good with it. RCing a taunt is actually the easiest RC to do. Just hit Jab+Short for a roll, and then immediatly hit Start to taunt. It is done so quickly that it almost seems like one motion, just like Kara throwing in Third Strike ;)

RC taunting is actually the best way to get a feeling for the timing of a roll cancel for beginners. If you don't get it right away, don't get upset. I have been RCing for almost 2 years now, and I'm still only at about 60-80%, depending on the move :(

Q-