Any CD games better than cart?

Diggerman

Zero's Tailor
For those who have had access to NeoGeo games on both cart and CD - did you think the CD versions of any games were actually BETTER than the cartridge originals?

Which ones and why?

Which CD games did you feel had significantly better soundtracks and/or features?

Also, to make this topic more interesting - do not include load times in your analysis. We already know load times suck on CD. frown

Baseley09

Hair Group,
The soundtracks to Samurai Showdown 2 and Real Bout Special are just phenominal.

The cart versions are awsome for music no question, but the cd versions make me chuff.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Fatal Fury Special
Samurai Shodown

c.t.h

Maxima's Barber
Viewpoint is phenomenal on neo cd

I'm a big windjammers fan, but its the same as on cart :-/

The early KOF's play good, the soundtracks sound fantastic.

Plisken

Snaaaaaaake!,
Fatal Fury Special
World Heroes 2
Art Of Fighting 2
The King Of Fighters 94

Jedite

Bunker Buster
Probably the only good things bout the CDs are the cheap prices and the good remixes. But, everything else, AES beats CD, hands down.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
I would say that sanm sho 3 is one of the only candidates. from the amazing music, to the added art work (even the loading screens are a pleasure to watch) it is just one of my favorite titles to play. the loading time isn't too shabby either.

one thing to note though: some of the arranged music on the cd's is not as good (IMO) as the cart versions. KOF 96 is a good example of this.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I think, by and large, the huge benefit of having the cd system is to marvel at some of the outstanding remixed soundtracks.

When it came to music SNK really knew their stuff :)

I highly recommend anyone with a cd system to hook it up to their stereo - TV speaks don't do the system justice.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Tarma is right, listening to the CD sound via TV speakers is almost a sacrilege. I'm a big music fan, I prefer many CD games simply because of the great soundtracks, but there are also a lot of exta features in some of them that make them worth checking out, like the additional play mode in NTM, the Combot School in the Slugs, the horse breeding feature in Stakes Winner, a lot of Galleries in LB, KoF, etc...etc...

Another "side effect" of NGCD collecting is that you get a big soundtrack collection with it as well because you can play the CDs in your standard CD player. I highly recommend this for games like AoF3, LB 1+2, FFS, RBFF, RBS, RB2, the KoFs, of course the Samsho games and Ninja Master's, all these soundtracks are pure magic.

c.t.h

Maxima's Barber
yeah, takumaji is right - I have CDr copies of all my games so I can listen to them in my car cd player, in my room, etc and have my games at home so I don't lose them.

The music is great.

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
I really like Baseball Stars 2 for the NGCD
better than its homecart and mvs counterparts.

The computer automatically saves your game
every inning, and the music is better.

Also the game is slightly easier on the cd loco

Pep

Genjuro's Frog
20 Year Member
Well, personally I prefer SAMURAI SHODOWN NGH soundtrack, the CD version sounds very weird to me, I am too used to the NGH one I guess.

Definitely REAL BOUT has better sound in the CD version though, I strongly recommend to get this title in CD if possible.

The same goes to FATAL FURY 3, the only flaw is that before every much the action cuts down for a second, but the loads are very fast indeed and the music is tops.

As for BASEBALL STARS 2 the CD version is really good indeed, however I never paid attention to know if the music is better than the NGH cart or not.

Other recommended titles are AEROFIGHTERS 2 and 3, you can get the CD for very cheap and the loads are ultra fast.

METAL SLUG is another must have in CD, you have extra playing modes (combat school mode), fast loads, infinitely cheaper than the NGH cart and of course great soundtrack.

AGGRESSORS OF DARK KOMBAT is also another good game in CD, it plays the same as the NGH and it’s simply cheaper.

WORLD HEROES PERFECT is great in CD, you can play as Gokuu and Neo Dio, something you cannot do in the AES version, the loads are fast and it’s also cheaper.

About REAL BOUT SPECIAL the loads are slow IMHO.

Bluevoodu

Kyokugen's Student
I personally like the Last Blade CD... I am not sure why... but it was cool...

I have never been able to get my hands on the AES version of Ninja Masters.... but I am highly wondering if that CD is better than the AES version.

The CD version is COOL!

Aero fighters 3 is great for the CD (so is 2).. BUUUUUUTTTT... you can only GET aero Fighters 3 for the CD :) You can get Sonic Wings 3 for the AES or CD

IMO Pulstar is top notch as well!

I am highly bummed that Blazing Star Never came out on CD. I wonder what it would take to convince playmore to do it on CD.....

†B†V†

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Forget to mention Dunk Dream! Damn, I thought the AES soundtrack was boss, but listen to the cd music - friggin' awesome! The sound effects are hella cool too... doubt I'll bother with the cart system again!!!

Actually, because the music is so damn fine on many many of the CD games, I find myself drawn more to the CD versions over the carts, because the music just adds so much more to the games :D

In fact the music is so good, that it makes loading time bearable - heightening the tension before the sonic overload is unleashed!

Neo•Geo CD seriously buttrock buttrock buttrock

BTW - anyone with the Street Hoop CD (English), take a look at the control section in the manual... see anything odd? wink

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
xtoo_short20x:
Also the game is slightly easier on the cd loco
Most CD games have unlimited continues anyway which is nice for practising boss battles, etc., kind of default freeplay mode.

Many features that you have to unlock with a code on cart are available on CD by default, such as the EX mode in LB2. There's also a Quiz mode, a demo viewer and a gallery. Time Attack mode is missing tho.

While we're at it, the KoF96 Special Collection CD is another must-have if you love the game. At first glance it's not really interesting, but there's a lot of stuff in it that makes it a worthy purchase IMO, a very cool soundtrack player, the option to play a round with the character of your choice, a history/bio mode, several galleries, a demo and intro viewer, etc. It also comes in a nice packaging.

Some games have a "CD mode" selection in the options menu that changes the soundtrack and other features.

Oh, and you can play as Zankuro in Samsho 4 in 2P.

neogeofl

Lurker, ,
Metal Slug is awesome on CD for several reasons:

1. Hell of a lot cheaper the AES
2. Load times are fast
3. Great sound

I also like Sengoku and Sengoku 2 on CD and Crossed Swords 2 and Iron Clad!!!!

buster_broon

The Rock,
Tarma:
In fact the music is so good, that it makes loading time bearable - heightening the tension before the sonic overload is unleashed!
and the juggling monkey on most of the cd games - hes great and he never drops the balls

that is professionalism buttrock

Bluevoodu

Kyokugen's Student
buster_broon:
Tarma:
and the juggling monkey on most of the cd games - hes great and he never drops the balls

that is professionalism buttrock
I like the monkey that juggles the live grenades :D

†B†V†

vintage

Quiz Detective
re

from the sounds of the thread the cd would be the better system for the actual gamer, you know the guy who actually plays the games instead of putting them on a shelf to jerk off too, and to one day hope to sell for double or triple what he paid for them :annoyed:

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
vintage said:
from the sounds of the thread the cd would be the better system for the actual gamer, you know the guy who actually plays the games instead of putting them on a shelf to jerk off too, and to one day hope to sell for double or triple what he paid for them :annoyed:

Actually that's MVS.

SSS

neo retired
The Legendary LoneWolf said:
Also u get unlimited credits

Are you bumping old threads out of spite, or because you're actually retarded?

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
Well... AOF 3 special edition :glee:
Samurai Spirits RPG only on CD ^_^
And... of course, arrange music version :)