CDZ question

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Quick question on the ole CDZ :)

OK, afaik the CDZ was only ever released in Japan, right?

So, if I put an English version of say, Gan Gan, into the console to play it, all the text will come up in Japanese. In other words all games default to Japanese unless of course there's an in game option for English text.

I.E - i put in an Aggressors of Dark Kombat disc into a CDZ and it will come up as Gan gan.

Right?

Could someone just confirm that for me, please? :D

Bluevoodu

Kyokugen's Student
it should... and the text should all be in JApanese.... UNLESS there is a mod for US only... or a mod switch installed..... I believe.

†B†V†

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Bluevoodu:
it should... and the text should all be in JApanese.... UNLESS there is a mod for US only... or a mod switch installed..... I believe.

†B†V†
I've heard about the language switch before, but is there a custom mod that can be installed to make it a US/English "only" console (including the memory management)?

Bluevoodu

Kyokugen's Student
Tarma:
Bluevoodu:

†B†V†
I've heard about the language switch before, but is there a custom mod that can be installed to make it a US/English "only" console (including the memory management)?
that... I have no clue about...

what is the serial?

Thanks,
†B†V†

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Well... I've got a CDZ which plays all games in English as default and the memory management is all in english too.

I've taken the thing apart and there is NO language switch and NO other 'visible' internal modifications.... which leads me to believe.........

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Tarma:
Bluevoodu:

†B†V†
The mod is very easy, all you have to do is to solder in one jumper to shorten the "US" mode setting on the language matrix pcb. This pcb is clearly visible when opening the machine and marked with all possible territory settings.

A switch isn't a necessity if you want your CDZ to boot up in US once and for all, it's just a lil' more convenient being able to switch from US to JPN for those games that have no language select option.

Edit: I wanted to show you pics of the language matrix pcb but nick_th_fury's site is down at the mo, he's hosting my CD(Z) mod page... perhaps someone hasn't payed his fees... wink

<small>[ August 19, 2003, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: Takumaji ]</small>

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Thanks Tak :)

When you say you can see it when you open the machine up - do you mean just open the plastic case, or do you mean remove the cd drive and the metal plate underneath too? spock

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Tarma:
Thanks Tak :)

When you say you can see it when you open the machine up - do you mean just open the plastic case, or do you mean remove the cd drive and the metal plate underneath too? spock
Yeah, sorry, I'm afraid you have to remove the heat shielding and the drive too...

Damn, I wish I could find these jpegs... I had a couple of really nice shots of several gutted CDs and CDZs and could swear the language pcb is right there.

I will try to find them on my hd and post it here.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Aw nuts!

I just put the damn thing back together... lol

I guess it must have the mod you refer to, I thought for a second it might be a proto model as it came from SNK, but if it's just a case of a jumper mod then that blows that theory right out the water!! tickled

If you could post a pic of what I should look for that'd be tops :)

Thanks for your help Tak :)

M

mr.nippy

the language mod. on a neo cd/z is a piece of piss. look for jn1 / jn2 / jn3 on the joystick port pcb. It will have the detail of whats what on there. I cant remember which is which, cos my cd isnt here at the mo. but you can put a switch on or leave it permanent on any language. Its a simple case of cutting the jumper or placing one in those sockets (jn1/jn2/jn3).

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Ha, found the link, it wasn't on nick's site but on gamesx.
<a href="http://www.gamesx.com/importmod/neocdzcon.htm" target="_blank">CDZ language mod</a>

That reminds me to clean up the mess that is my bookmarks collection one day...

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Many thanks for the great links Tak :)

I took the case apart again, and yes, the system I have has the region mod as outlined in the above link.

Still, a nice suprise because it saves me the trouble of whether to mod the console or not :)

smokeingit

n00b
i went to that site and i dont think the guy even did the mod. he does'nt say to sort or to kill the resistor. =/ i guess i better read around.
Takumaji:
<a href="http://www.gamesx.com/importmod/neocdzcon.htm" target="_blank">CDZ language mod</a>

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
The last CDZ I had (Bought from Bluevoodu) had the laguage switch installed. With the switch in USA mode everything was in english, including the memory management screen and the CD player.

Mike

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
smokeingit:
i went to that site and i dont think the guy even did the mod. he does'nt say to sort or to kill the resistor. =/ i guess i better read around.
Takumaji:

Resistor? You don't have to change a resistor or crystal in order to do the language mod. There's a language select matrix on one of the pcbs, all you have to do for Japanese mode is to completely remove all jumpers, for US mode you have to solder in a jumper, and that's it.