SS4 NGCD vs SS

BCMidnight

n00b
Hello, I am new here and am looking to get into the Neo Geo scene. I have a question about ports of Samurai Shodown 4.

I am interested in getting a system for Samurai Shodown 4. I know AES would be the best but my checkbook would beg to differ.

I was looking at getting either a Sega Saturn or a Neo Geo CD for it.

Which system has the best port in terms of animation and lack of slowdown. I've played the SS version but, it slows down quite a bit. How does the NGCD version stack up?

Thank you for your help.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
NGCD is your best bet...but Saturn port isnt bad from what I hear. Plus with Saturn, you can get more variety of cool games.

But purely on quality, the NGCD ver is better.

MattMan

Galford's Armourer
I have a neo CD system my self, the audio is amazing with it, and if you have an S-Video cable you can hook that up for a crisper immage and it does make a nice difference. But the only problem for NCD Systems is the load time.. trust me there a pain but well worth it in my opinion. Like Samsho 4 has a very very long load time as to Samsho 2 has a small load time. And dont get your hopes up for a MS3 on NCD too big. But if you wanna go cheap with it then go with the neo C I sure enjoy mine.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
NGCd version's better, the saturn version is ok but I'd only swing that way if you plan on getting more SNK ports( or saturn games ) to make up for how sub-par the SS4 port is

Nakoruru

Zero's Tailor
My suggestion would be to get the NGCD version. Its true that the load times are kinda lengthy in it, but I found the game to be very enjoyable and much closer to the AES/MVS then the Saturn version.

BCMidnight

n00b
Thanks to all tha thave replied. Is the NGCD version better than the Sartun in terms of frames of animation? I don't care about load times I just really enjoy 2-d fighters that move smoothly.

SSS

neo retired
BCMidnight:
Thanks to all tha thave replied. Is the NGCD version better than the Sartun in terms of frames of animation? I don't care about load times I just really enjoy 2-d fighters that move smoothly.
It's about the same animation wise. I think the Neo Geo CD may have a little more active backgrounds than the Saturn version. Plus the NGCD sound effects are not muffled.

But if you look at SS4 cd compared to the cart version, it sucks. For example. Look at Haohmaru walk backwards on the CD version and then the cart version. You'll see all the animation that was taken out. SS4 for MVS is probably the greatest bargain.

MattMan

Galford's Armourer
SamuraiShodownSensei:
Originally posted by BCMidnight:
[qb] Look at Haohmaru walk backwards on the CD version and then the cart version. You'll see all the animation that was taken out.
Well thing Is they do have to cut back on a few things to keep the game from lagging alot on the CD version, they arent the fastest things in the world, like in Last blade 2 they give you the option to take out the beginning stances for the fights (So I heard) to save ya some load times.

SSS

neo retired
MattMan:
SamuraiShodownSensei:
Originally posted by BCMidnight:
[qb] Look at Haohmaru walk backwards on the CD version and then the cart version. You'll see all the animation that was taken out.
Well thing Is they do have to cut back on a few things to keep the game from lagging alot on the CD version, they arent the fastest things in the world, like in Last blade 2 they give you the option to take out the beginning stances for the fights (So I heard) to save ya some load times.
I understand the load times. But if you look at the great job they did of porting SS3 to NGCD, you'd wonder what the hell happened to 4.