Neo Geo CD or AES

Jinny

n00b
Hi,
I just had a few questions regarding which neo geo system to buy, I can get a Neo Geo AES US version for £250, or a Neo Geo CD Pal version for £150.

I know that both are the same expect the format of the game is in cd or cart. I know that the games are abit slow to load on the cd version.

I wanted to know that does it matter if I get a US or Pal version, will all games work on either machine? e.g. a US game on a pal neo geo?

Also are most of the games that are in cart format also out in cd format?

I know that the cart games are much more expensive and im thinking is it worth paying the extra £100 for the cart machine and then paying loads more for each cart game which I can get on cd for much cheaper?

Thank you for reading.

Jinny

boystoys

n00b
hi,
games will work on either machine: cd, ngh, mvs-us, euro, jap.
there are no new games on cd since 98.

Jinny

n00b
Ok thanks, so there are no new cd games since 1998, and so are there loads of good cart games that came out after 1998? I thought most of the good cart games like blazing star, fatal fury came out between 1990-1997?

So if you had the choice would you go for cart? Im thinking cd as a way of saving cash, as the games are so much cheaper, but I want to find out what other people think before spending the cash on either machine. Are cds more easy to get hold of then carts?

Jinny

Jinny

n00b
Hi,
Justed wanted to also ask, are there new games still being produced for the Neo Geo? are they only in cart format?

Jinny

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
- Neo CDs were produced until 1999, with KoF99 as one of the last releases.

- Most games up to 1999 are available on CD, with the exception of a few that could not be ported due to technical reasons, Metal Slug X, Waku Waku 7, Magical Drop 3 and others didn't get a CD release

- All games from MotW and KoF2k onwards are cart-exclusive.

- There are still games coming out (on cart). After SNK's demise in 2001, we got KoF2001 (Eolith), Rage of the Dragons (Evoga), Metal Slug 4 (Mega), now Matrimelee is out, and we will get SNK vs Capcom, Metal Slug 5, KoF2k3 (2k4?) and a few others.

For more info about the Neo CD, take a look at my Neo CD FAQ that you will find <a href="http://www.lupa.de/ne-o-rama/faqs/cdfaq.html" target="_blank">here</a> . Currently, I'm about to rework it, so if you think you have a question that is not covered, feel free to drop me a mail or PM.

Jinny

n00b
Ok thanks for the info, so do you think its worth getting the cart version over the cd version? Ive seen some on ebay for £200?

Jinny

buster_broon

The Rock,
a PAL cd system (if its fully boxed) is quite a rare find btw

also to let you know that a Us/pal system is the same

you can use either on a uk power supply without a step down

why???????? i hear you cry

because the psu is 100 - 240 volts so all you need is a shaver adaptor

again this decision is based on your lifestyle

cd system - if you dont have money to burn

aes sytem - if you have money to burn and have alot in reserve to back up your hobby once the fever grips you

both are good options :)

Jinny

n00b
Buster im not sure if its a pal version, ive seen a cd one for around £150-£175, and cart versions for around £200-£250.

Will I be missing out on loads of good games if I get the cd version?

Jinny

buster_broon

The Rock,
Jinny:
Will I be missing out on loads of good games if I get the cd version?

Jinny
to be brutally honest - no not really

if you have the money buy both, get all the games you want on the cd system and any newer game you fancy just buy it on the AES

i personally prefer the older classics - here is 4 items that a uk store have in stock for the neo cd - they are very trustworthy and maybe worth a look

<a href="http://www.videogameimports.com/get_hw.php?product=568&side=1" target="_blank">VGI front loader</a>

<a href="http://www.videogameimports.com/get_hw.php?product=266&side=1" target="_blank">another front loader</a>

<a href="http://www.videogameimports.com/get_hw.php?product=399&side=1" target="_blank">VGI top loader and 4 games</a>

<a href="http://www.videogameimports.com/get_hw.php?product=566&side=1" target="_blank">top loader for £109</a>

Jinny

n00b
Thanks for the info mate, very helpful. Im thinking I do want the cart version, but the cost of some of the carts is out of this world, at least the cd version means I get the same kind of stuff but cheaper. Which ones do you own buster?

Jinny

buster_broon

The Rock,
Jinny:
Thanks for the info mate, very helpful. Im thinking I do want the cart version, but the cost of some of the carts is out of this world, at least the cd version means I get the same kind of stuff but cheaper. Which ones do you own buster?

Jinny
click on this link and it will take you to my collections page:

<a href="http://www.neo-geo.com/gallery/collections/buster_broon/busterbroon.html" target="_blank">My stuff</a>

i have 2 cd systems

the cdz and the top loader cd system

out of the 3 different systems the top loader is known to be the most reliable

but i'm not sure if you know you could also try the Mvs route

cartridges are just as cheap and cd games and there are more titles to choose from including all teh new stuff, all you need is either an aes sytem with a phantom 1 or get yourself a suerpgun with a 1 slot board

Jinny

n00b
Mvs? is that the arcade machines version?

Out of those links you have me before they have a top loader jap for £110, which seems a really good price to me, or for £145 you can get one with 4 games. But you need a power converter as its jap, do you know how much they cost?

you have alot of games btw, are your neo geo's jap?

Oh I added you to my msn messenger list hope thats kewl, if you turn your msn on I can talk to you through there if thats ok?

Jinny

Bluevoodu

Kyokugen's Student
I tend to like the top loader system :)

I'd pick CD. Especially since games are available so cheap..... its easy to build up a NNIICCE collection fast.

Then at the same time you could save up for the AES and the new AES releases all while piling your neo Cd collection.

Load times do not get to me that much.

there are plenty of good games without the slloow load times. Basically the KOF series has slow load times. BUT.. they are bearable.

†B†V†

Jamie

NEST Puppet
buster_broon:
a PAL cd system (if its fully boxed) is quite a rare find btw
Is this true? Wow i have a mint euro system sitting on top of my wardrobe.

You learn something new everyday.

Btw Jinny i couldn't decide either so i went down all 3 routes, i got a phantom 1 for mvs exclusives, an aes for newer cart only games and a cd for the earlier stuff.

<small>[ May 15, 2003, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: Jamie ]</small>

Jinny

n00b
Jamie Im thinking of getting the the CD version as the carts are abit expensive, im a student so if I get a cd version now, then later once uni is finished next year and depending on if I become a huge neo geo fan! Then I will invest in a cart system. Do you think that is a good idea? How slow is your cd system? Im thinking of getting a Jap version.

Jinny

Jamie

NEST Puppet
Thats the way i started out mate, first i got the cd machine which i enjoyed no end.

The speed of which it loads is not really a problem unless your planning on playing the later King of Fighters or Last Blades alot, even then you do get used to it.

Also Computer Exchange in London has a lot of cheap Neo Geo CD games in stock to help you build up you collection.

Jamie

NEST Puppet
Well i'm looking to beef up my english cd collection mate, so if you have any i'll be watching.

Jinny

n00b
Kewl, thanks for the tip jamie, Ive been looking at cex london, I think I will have to go there in the next few weeks. I might order my machine next week.

The deal I can get is:

Neo Geo CD - Jap + 4 games - VIEW POINT+SAMURAI SHODOWN 2+FATAL FURY 3+KING OF FIGHTERS 95: £145

Neo Geo pad: £29

Transformer: £17.99

what do you think?

Jinny

mlloyd

Morden's Lackey
Go for AES if you can afford it, I play using MVS carts with a supergun it's much cheaper. Loads of really good games have come out since 98! Last Blade 2, Sengoku 3, Rage of the Dragons, Metal Slug 4 are to name but a few. Plus the up and coming SNK verses Capcom, Metal Slug 5 and Samurai Showdown 5.

If you have any questions about MVS please feel free to PM me.

Don't buy the CD system you are missing out on future titles!!!!!

As for titles since the CD finished about 30 or more titles have been released on the Neo MVS/AES.

<small>[ May 15, 2003, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: mlloyd ]</small>

Jinny

n00b
Im not sure mlloyd on the aes version, I do want one in the future, its just the cost of the games, I dont mind getting a aes I suppose it will be worth it in the long run. Any one else think cd or aes?

Jinny

buster_broon

The Rock,
mlloyd:
As for titles since the CD finished about 30 or more titles have been released on the Neo MVS/AES.
30 games since 1999 - is that true

cant be right that

Bluevoodu

Kyokugen's Student
Jinny:
Kewl, thanks for the tip jamie, Ive been looking at cex london, I think I will have to go there in the next few weeks. I might order my machine next week.

The deal I can get is:

Neo Geo CD - Jap + 4 games - VIEW POINT+SAMURAI SHODOWN 2+FATAL FURY 3+KING OF FIGHTERS 95: £145

what do you think?

Jinny
in the UK... that is not too bad, just depends on the conditions of everything.

boxed... unboxed.. with spine, without..etc.

†B†V†

Jinny

n00b
Bluevoodu its all boxed and the games are supposed to be in near mint condition. They are all boxed with instructions too.

Jinny

Jinny

n00b
Well after about a week of should I/shouldnt I. Ive ordered a neo geo cd jap:

Del:£7

£198.99

Its coming 2mrw im very excited, I hope I made the right choice!

Jinny