Electroluminescent / Indiglo Replacements

Hello Neo Geo Members,

A forum member called us the other day about the electroluminescent backlighting panels and if we would be able to replace them or offer some technical support.

He explained that the panels are white 5.5" x 4.5" and that there were four of them. These panels are supported by an inverter that is connected to a 12V power source within the cabinet and does not work independently of the game's normal workings.

Some of these backlighting panels can be fixed and/or replaced. If the forum approves we would like to work with the members of this forum to create a electroluminescent backlight replacement kit for the NeoGeo. In addition, we would like to offer our technical support to anyone who needs it for their existing NeoGeo backlights.

If we could work with 2-3 members to create the kit, we would offer them the backlighting kit free of charge in exchange for their knowledge and support.

Please help us to make adjustments to the design of the backlighting kit and we can offer it to members very shortly.

thanks for yout time.

Ed
Being Seen Tech
888 457-0117
www.beingseen.com

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Would having one of the boards help at all? Someone probably has one laying around, or I could pull one out of my cab. They actually come two per board with connectors to string them together, a 2 slot cab only needs one board, my 4 slot has 2 boards, and a 6 slot has 3 boards.

I'd like to do what I can to get this moving but not sure how to help.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Where is this company located?

That would make working with members here easier...since they may live close or near to the company..

Here's what they look like..

MV-ELDsm.jpg

Pictures...here
http://www.hardmvs.com/html/marquee.htm
Thank you Briggs..

Here's what the back of one looks like taken off the PCB board..

ELD.jpg

lill-c

Dodgeball Yakuza
Ok, I talked to Ed agian and I am going to send him my panels and controller tomorrow to get this going for everyone. :buttrock:

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
lill-c said:
Ok, I talked to Ed agian and I am going to send him my panels and controller tomorrow to get this going for everyone. :buttrock:

Awesome!!.....Thank You..

You Rock!!! my friend...

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
lill-c said:
Ok I should be getting the proto ELPs next week.

Cool..

So,
Is it just the bulbs that your getting..?

Are you going to have to solder these photo's to the MV-ELD PCB's..(green board)..plus removing the existing old type working or non working bulbs..?
MV-ELDsm.jpg

What's the game plan..?

lill-c

Dodgeball Yakuza
chris1 said:
Cool..

So,
Is it just the bulbs that your getting..?

Are you going to have to solder these photo's to the MV-ELD PCB's..(green board)..plus removing the existing old type working or non working bulbs..?
MV-ELDsm.jpg

What's the game plan..?
Yes I am just getting the bulbs. I am getting 2 panels just to make sure they work with the mvs controller.

As you know chris1 it is easy to take off the old panels and unsolder them.

Once I see they work I will be giving the info back to ED and then he will start making the replacement kits.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
lill-c said:
Yes I am just getting the bulbs. I am getting 2 panels just to make sure they work with the mvs controller.

As you know chris1 it is easy to take off the old panels and unsolder them.

Once I see they work I will be giving the info back to ED and then he will start making the replacement kits.

Sweet!!!..

Send me a pic of the bulbs when you get them,..I'm dying to see what they look like.

peap

New Challenger
This is really interesting as many of the bulbs out there are getting close to the end of their lifetime.

An additional piece of information that's probably not that important in this case is that the boards also come in 3+3 as in the UK electrocoin 6-slots and in a 1x6 type of board fitted on top of the japaneese MV25TA-0 and MV25UP-0 cabinets.

I bought two japaneese style complete tops for $6,50 each yesterday on a large operator sale. :)

lill-c

Dodgeball Yakuza
Any info is good on this subject. Did the ones you bought work? If people need replacement ELPs, Ed is the man to get them from. He is able to cut them to just about any size.

I should be getting the proto ELPs some time this week. I will let everyone know how they work out.

peap

New Challenger
Both of the boards I bought works.
One of them cannot have been used much at all, the 6 bulbs all glow as if they were brand new!
The other one works well but doesn't glow as bright white as the first one. All 6 bulbs are by far better than the ones i had in my electrocoin 6-slot though. I'm pretty satisfied with this deal. :D

Do you have any idéa at what cost the replacement kit will be available?

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
lill-c said:
If people need replacement ELPs, Ed is the man to get them from. He is able to cut them to just about any size.

I should be getting the proto ELPs some time this week. I will let everyone know how they work out.[/QUOTE]

Sweet!!

I have an extra set of the backboard pcbs needed for these bulbs.
I want to buy a set of these to put on that set to use and take out my working set in the big red.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Also I'd love a How To guide, because I'd like to do this but not without a little guidance to replace them ;)

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
lithy said:
Also I'd love a How To guide, because I'd like to do this but not without a little guidance to replace them ;)

If they look or made similar to the original ones,I can explain to you how to install them.

peap

New Challenger
To "uninstall" them use a big knife and push it in between the bulb and the pcb. Rotate the knife holding it as close to one of the two gluestrips as possible so that the bulb is being forced up and away from the pcb. When the whole bulb is free from the pcb just unsolder it.

The glue on the pcb is really sticky so you won't need any more glue to install the replacements.

The bulbs aren't that fragile. Atleast I've never destroyed any of them during uninstalling.

lill-c

Dodgeball Yakuza
I called him last week and he had them ready. He was going to ship them out plus 2 inverters just incase the NEO one didn't work. I will call later today to see if they did get shipped out.

EL Panels...

Hello,

The EL Replacement Panels have been shipped and are under review. They do meet the needs of the on board inverter setup and do meet or exceed the brightness of the original lamps.

Electroluminescent Panel kits will be made available with and without inverters. Pricing will include shipping and will be posted soon.

Please post any questions you may have here.

thanks

Ed
Being Seen Tech