KOF: Maxium Crap

SNZero

Mr. Big's Thug
Long ago when the news came out about a 3D KOF i was sceptical to say the least, i mean 3D fighters usually look good but play badly. But i thought i'd keep an open mind and buy it to see how it turned out before slating it.
But have you seen what they have done to Iori?!!?!!?!! his alternative costume (or 2P costume) makes him look like an gimp and nothing like someone called Iori. The same desicration of characters carries on with the alternative costumes of Ryo (who looks like a white haired moron), Clark (who seems to change race for some unexplained reason) and a few others. Some alternative (2P) costumes stay true to the origional like Terry's and Ryo's but why oh why did they ruin Iori, leona and many others in such a shocking way?
These 2P costumes can only be seen on the KOF max impact link off the japanese snk playmore site so people viewing the english site may have missed them.
it seems that the games makers where trying to extend the number of characters of simply make the characters look new and """"cool"""", i think they failed. See what u think?
http://www.snkplaymore.jp/official/kof/character/iori2p.html
:oh_no:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Yeah I don't like the costumes either so clearly it sucks.

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
I think you're being way too anial for something that's just a game. If you don't like the 2P costumes enough to dislike the entire game before playing it than don't buy the game!

You act as if Frosted Flakes killed Tony the Tiger or Rice Krispies laid off the three knomes they used because of a union dispute. And you sound like a consumer who panicked at the prospect of New Coke or Crystal Pepsi. If it flops, it flops. But lets not judge the games before giving a fair shot, eh?

SNZero

Mr. Big's Thug
the three guys were laid off? i never knew that, i havent bought any in a while tho.
Anyway i know what you mean its just why do some of the alternative costumes not even look like the characters?
i would not have minded an 80's Iori (well i wud have minded but not as much) but the 2P Iori doesnt even look like him.
And since when does Ryo have a beard?
all i'm sayin if that it they really have to change the costume then they should at least keep a few things the same to keep the spirit of the SNK characters there, instead of making it into just another 3D mess.

sQuareh4t3r

formerly "sQuareh4t3r", then "MacGuffin", now "sQu
SNZero said:
the three guys were laid off? i never knew that, i havent bought any in a while tho.
Anyway i know what you mean its just why do some of the alternative costumes not even look like the characters?
i would not have minded an 80's Iori (well i wud have minded but not as much) but the 2P Iori doesnt even look like him.
And since when does Ryo have a beard?
all i'm sayin if that it they really have to change the costume then they should at least keep a few things the same to keep the spirit of the SNK characters there, instead of making it into just another 3D mess.
They weren't really laid off. It's called sarcasm...

You know, at this point, I am open to any kind of costume change for some of the KOF characters (especially Iori). I am sick of seeing some characters have the same sprite for the past 10 years (ie. Mai), and others getting overhauled on a pretty frequent basis. Maximum Impact is simply trying to mix it up a bit, and keep things from falling into the same old stale boundaries. The only alternate costume I am upset about is K's; it was originally slated to be him in a Krizalid jacket, complete with feathers. That would have been awesome, but now he looks like a reject from a Tekken game. And the version of Ryo they are using is from Fatal Fury: Wild Ambition (I think); in that game he was much older and had the beard and whatnot. It's important to do some research before you just shoot your mouth off about something you are just simply uninformed about.

I guess my only suggestion would be to keep an open mind like you yourself said. There's no point in jumping to conclusions at this point. Just wait until the game comes out for any final judgements.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
You talk shit on Ryo's alternate costume in one sentence, but in the next you praise it for staying true? Also, if I'm not mistaken, it's his costume from the Wild Ambition game.

BTW, wtf are you talking about?

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Ryo's alternate costume is straight from Buriki One.

Now then... how can you possibly complain about alternate looks if the original is already there? You have the same vanilla bullshit outfit that you get every year, so pick it and be happy with it. There are people out there like me who would actually like to see what would happen if Iori, Leona, and others went with a new look. Yes, the new look might be good or bad or ugly, but at least some of these people are changing clothes for the first time in nearly a decade.

SNZero

Mr. Big's Thug
ok Ryo's is from the past but alt costumes like Clark's new "i look nothing like clark" look and a few others just look plain bad to me.
I agree with the "same sprite" issue about Mai and Iroi, i just think they could have done a better job in picking an outfit to suit the characters more than they do now (IMO), maybe make Iori look more evil than stupid.

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
I just prefered that they didn't change the hair color for the alternate outfits.

Too bad that alternate Leona isn't that alternate Falcoon's Leona ;)

Last edited:

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
Clark's alternate version's just omg.

It's strange, some are very well done like May's or Maxima's but Clark's and Kyo's are simply loathsome.

Benimaru

King's Dry Cleaner
Man you complain to damn much you know. I agree that some of those costumes are a little out of place .. but I gotta admit I love most of them.

sQuareh4t3r

SNZero said:
ok Ryo's is from the past but alt costumes like Clark's new "i look nothing like clark" look and a few others just look plain bad to me.
I agree with the "same sprite" issue about Mai and Iroi, i just think they could have done a better job in picking an outfit to suit the characters more than they do now (IMO), maybe make Iori look more evil than stupid.
What are you talking about? Mai's new outfit is awesome; in fact, I would have no qualms with it being used as her new outfit in the games in the main series. Iori's might be a bit iffy, but it's still better than the same old outfit we have seen for the past decade. Point is, enjoy the change, it doesn't happen every day with SNKP.

SNZero

Mr. Big's Thug
I still think there are more bad alt costumes than good, i guess i just wont pick them if i buy the thing. Some of the new costumes do seem a bit lacking in planning. Like the designers just sat down and used the first ideas that came up. Maybe i'm alone in that opinion. lol
I hope the new crappy costumes will not spill over to the new 2D KOF's. Neowave doesnt seem to have changed at all but i wonder about the games after?
I guess it will be all down to how well Max Impact does as to whether the new Atomiswave stuff will be changed.
Will SNKP dare tamper with its 2D sprites? lol

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Clearly this thread proves that change of any kind is bad.

Play Ikari Warriors 2, and you'll find out where it comes from. ;)

Last edited:

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
Sorry for speaking like a narrow-minded man but the most simple idea to see KoF in 3D already was a bad idea...

SNZero

Mr. Big's Thug
yeah KOF in 3D is a bad idea, why not just put all efforts into a super hi-res 2D KOF, ah well, hopefully the new Atomiswave KOF's will improve the look and keep the 2D game play. Cos everyone know 2D fighters simply rule as far as game play goes.

Rang_86

New Challenger
give them credit for trying something new AND using an old franchise. Sounds like a good combination, sates my appetite for innovation and my nostalgia.

sQuareh4t3r

SNZero said:
yeah KOF in 3D is a bad idea, why not just put all efforts into a super hi-res 2D KOF, ah well, hopefully the new Atomiswave KOF's will improve the look and keep the 2D game play. Cos everyone know 2D fighters simply rule as far as game play goes.
Well, if this game took manpower from the main KOF team, then that might be a valid complaint. However, Noise Factory is working on this game, so don't worry about it pulling resources from KOF2004.

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
It was already stated that this game have a 2D gameplay. with just some 3D aspects.

Master(G)

n00b
SNZero said:

I think I heard word that the PS2 Version of KoF 03 will be in High-Res with additional 3D objects in the background...

...and about the costumes: Listen to neojedi, he speaks out of my mind.

also, I can't wait to see the first 3d KoF... I think I might like it, if it plays like 2D... hell, I liked Wild Ambition a lot on Neo64