neowave out this friday!!

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
fatal fury fan #2 said:
from all the feedbackwe been geting it shouldn't be ported to anything

Oh c'mon, it's not that bad.

I don't think I'd plunk down $350 for a homecart of this game, but I'd buy a $50 PS2 port.

And hopefully the port will be handled by Sammy, who seem to do a much better job of porting games.

subbie

Baseball Star Hitter
RBjakeSpecial said:
Tsukaesugi- Looks like we did the same thing today! I just got back from the arcade and played a crap load of VF4 Final Tuned and Kof neowave!

Sorry to go a bit off topic but how was VF Final Tuned? How does it stack up with VF 4 & VF 4 Evo.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
about aliasing.. the characters fit in well with the bgs somehow so maybe theyve taken some edge off the sprites.

extra frames is nigh imposible if higher rez sprites are, besides it looks 2k2 so id say no on the xtra frames call.

seems really popular at the moment. more than 2k3 id say when it first hit the cades. even saw some alpha die hards playing it. the 2k2 fiends are coming out of the woodwork too. i got a streak tonight in monte though, only 3 fights but enough to make me happy :)

chris is a fiend, more than 2k2 for some reason my gut tells me :(

choi seems better than his 2k2 counterpart as well, his priority and landing recovery seems really good. you can play him almost worry free in regards to recovery gaps.

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
beelzebubble said:
about aliasing.. the characters fit in well with the bgs somehow so maybe theyve taken some edge off the sprites.

extra frames is nigh imposible if higher rez sprites are, besides it looks 2k2 so id say no on the xtra frames call.

Thanks!

Let's see if the gameplay is good enough to keep the 2k2 fanatics interested. It will be a good parameter, I think. But it will be sad if it's end being a "KOF2k2.5" :rolleyes:

tsukaesugi

Verythrax said:
But it will be sad if it's end being a "KOF2k2.5" :rolleyes:

Again, I think that that's all it's supposed to be, just a test of the possibility of KOF on AW.

The borrowed the last 'standard' KOF (02, no strikers and no tagging) and used that, and pre-existing sprites as the base to see how well the AW hardware would handle them.

My guess is that in 12 months or so, after KOFAW04 comes out, this game will have disappeared completely from the game centers and discussion boards. Every now and then some die-hard fan will start a thread like "Post Your Cool KOFAW Combos Here!" just like we get the occasional KOF94 thread, but for the most part it will be gone and happily forgotten.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
tsukaesugi said:
Again, I think that that's all it's supposed to be, just a test of the possibility of KOF on AW.

The borrowed the last 'standard' KOF (02, no strikers and no tagging) and used that, and pre-existing sprites as the base to see how well the AW hardware would handle them.

My guess is that in 12 months or so, after KOFAW04 comes out, this game will have disappeared completely from the game centers and discussion boards. Every now and then some die-hard fan will start a thread like "Post Your Cool KOFAW Combos Here!" just like we get the occasional KOF94 thread, but for the most part it will be gone and happily forgotten.

yep. and the buzz in the arcades its got going is cool for the month or two itll last :)

Mr.Nemoperson

Bunker Buster
15 Year Member
so is this game a prequeal or something? Because Iv seen and read that the last boss is like a young geese somthing.

Pictures

Heya, I'm returning to the thread having corrected my previous post and now adding screenshots to confirm the new information...you know, "in a minute there will be decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse," sort of thing.

kofnw0.jpg

Above is essentially the preview machine. As you can see, it uses the two-screen setup that appears to be more common in Asia.

In my response to Verythrax's points about graphical issues, I was a little uncertain in my reply. I've cleared up my previous post, but to state it clearly here, KoF Neowave does some weird things with the special effects. I mentioned previously an example where Leona's "burning dynamite in the gut" DM involved both traditional 2D and new Guilty Gear-style lighting elements; on that specific issue, I was wrong and was confused as it only used old KoF sprites in reality...I'm very sorry about my mistake. However, in my own defense, here's why I was wrong:

kofnw1.jpg

What you're seeing is a lightning effect reminiscient to the Guilty Gear series that goes over the traditional KoF sprites. Things like this kind of threw me off when I tried to recollect details about graphics. What remains to be true is that KoF Neowave uses some sort of weird mish-mash that sometimes don't really work together. It's sort of like listening to a song you know and hearing a note out of place; you know there's something wrong but can't figure out what it could possibly be. The lightning effect you see above is actually a problem for Chin...or rather, his opponents, as the flames of his SDM are actually obscured by the lightning effect, making them essentially impossible to detect until the move is basically over...I'm pretty sure that's a graphical design flaw as opposed to his actual strategy.

What does KoF Neowave have to offer? Well...there's this:

kofnw2.jpg

That's Geese Howard in his Art of Fighting 2 version. This is really old skool and I doubt many people would even remember that game. However, I was very happy to see him back in that form...but more on that later.

kofnw3.jpg

Okay, here's a new graphic thing for Geese...his Reppuken is a very bright thing that looks basically like something from Guilty Gear as opposed to KoF.

Now, on to the artwork...it was mentioned in a previous post about how the portraits in Neowave are better than in previous KoFs. It's true, they look great. Here's a few examples:

kofnw4.jpg

Leona looks really anime kawaii. It's like she just walked off the set of Neon Evangelion or something. Ralf's like, "Damn...Leona looks hotter than ever...god damned cock-teasing jail-bait." Clark's response is, ". . . . ." because he's afraid to actually look at Leona, what with her fist poised to punch him in the cheek there.

kofnw5.jpg

There is a new team which, for lack of a better term, I call the Misfits and includes Saisyu, Shingo and...Kula? Shingo's face basically says the same thing I did when I first saw the team, which is, "What on earth is Kula doing here?" Saisyu's look pretty much says the same.

Now...back to Geese. As I said above, I was very happy to see him back, but that state of happiness lasted for all of maybe 10 seconds. He's so difficult to beat that it's unfair. I do think that there's a slight flaw in his AI against Ralf's shoulder charging move, but it's so difficult to damage Geese and he hits so hard in return that it's as if I was...I can't even think of a decent metaphor here, he's so brutal. Get used to seeing this screen often:

kofnw6.jpg

Yeah...that's him saying, "Game Over."

For screenshots and info on the other new KoF game, Maximum Impact, go to:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97048

Last edited:

Mr.Nemoperson

Bunker Buster
15 Year Member
Verythrax said:

pas·tiche ( P ) Pronunciation Key (p-stsh, pä-)
n.
A dramatic, literary, or musical piece openly imitating the previous works of other artists, often with satirical intent.
A pasticcio of incongruous parts; a hodgepodge: “In... a city of splendid Victorian architecture... there is a rather pointless pastiche of Dickensian London down on the waterfront” (Economist).

Well I guess thats what it is LOL

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
nazi muerto abono pa mi huerto said:
mmmmmm any news about AWNet¿ (or AWcard...?i dont remember...secret chars blabla )

no machines anywhere seem to have it working yet. the cards will be available when the network gets set up methinks. all the machines have stickers over the card slot with a sign saying "not able to be used yet".

they have lots of card info and pics in the latest arcadia, eight one, scans?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Mr.Nemoperson said:
so is this game a prequeal or something? Because Iv seen and read that the last boss is like a young geese somthing.
Don't try to figure it out. Geese must have found the time machine Ryo, Robert, Takuma, Yuri and King used to jump 10 years into the future so they could be in KOF '94. I think it was Doc Brown from World Heroes trying to f things up. Next he'll probably go back to the future and grab some more MotW characters.

nazi muerto abono pa mi huerto said:
mmmmmm any news about AWNet¿ (or AWcard...?i dont remember...secret chars blabla )

Again, just adding to confirm what Beezlebubble said.

kofnw0.jpg

The machine I played on had the card slot thing, which you can see on the right hand side of the picture. There were no cards available for it, nor did I see any prompts on the screen like, "Please put in your KoF Neowave card." I actually didn't read much about these AW-net or AW-card thing and, as a result, I thought the card slot was just a vestigial thing, such as how many Street Fighter II machines were converted for use with KoF, so you'll find many KoF machines with 6 buttons (2 of which are naturally useless.)

Please post up any information on what the card system would actually offer. My only reason for playing Neowave now is to defeat Geese...other than that, you're better off playing KoF 2002.

tsukaesugi

Dean Howard said:
Please post up any information on what the card system would actually offer. My only reason for playing Neowave now is to defeat Geese...other than that, you're better off playing KoF 2002.

For what it's worth, here's the AWNET homepage:

http://www.awnet.jp/pc/

I still have the AWNET explanation sheet they gave away at the loketest, if I can dig it up and translate it I'll try and post what it says.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Can somebody tell me if the game is run in hi or low res? I think this can be related to the "washed out" colors you mention. It has been reported by many people (including me) that the AW is too damn bright when used in low res in a JAMMA cab, so you would have to tune down the brightness to get it to display properly, thus it can affect the color.

sQuareh4t3r

formerly "sQuareh4t3r", then "MacGuffin", now "sQu
Dean Howard said:
There is a new team which, for lack of a better term, I call the Misfits and includes Saisyu, Shingo and...Kula? Shingo's face basically says the same thing I did when I first saw the team, which is, "What on earth is Kula doing here?" Saisyu's look pretty much says the same.
I call it the "I'm Kula And I Would Have Two Teammates That Make Sense If Only The Developer Owned The Intellectual Properties To Them" Team. :D

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Amano Jacu said:
By the way, any new on who are the secret characters?

Nope! Not yet.

Just went to the game center today and got a chance to sit down and play through it one player.

I really want to hate this game cause its rehashed shit, but I really like it. The more I play it the more it just feels exactly like kof 2k2. The controls seem pretty good and it's enjoyable.

The heat button makes your life go down and you have a stronger hit briefly. Overall pretty lame. (this is what I've guessed from messing around with it)

The last boss Geese (I'm sorry if this has already been posted) is SUPER LAME. His stage looks really bad, very lame 3d objects. Geese himself looks like he's straight out of a bad genesis fighting game. His projectiles are big yellow lame things. I had no urge to beat him, I couldnt anyway cause hes a power house!!!!

So far my team is Terry, Shermie, ??? I'm still messing around trying to find a good third character.

nazi muerto abono pa mi huerto

Overtop Pathfinder
iggy from Madmans cafe talks about the card system and the new chars :

-Orochi Yashiro
-Orochi Shermie
-Orocho Chris
-Kusanagi
-Kim
-Ramon
-Vanessa
-Geese (¿?)

Korigama

Ghost of Captain Kidd
RBjakeSpecial said:
So far my team is Terry, Shermie, ??? I'm still messing around trying to find a good third character.

*cough*Kula*cough*