Taking apart MVS cart - Questions

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
I was wondering if there is a standard layout for all the MVS carts in terms of the way the 2 boards are layed inside the cart. Im asking this because i dont want to screw up my carts when i open them up to clean them and put them back together the wrong way.

for example:

with ARROW piece of the case facing down:
All rom chips facing down
P and V rom board first then C,M and S rom board.

is that standard? correct?

Rom chips face the side of the case with the arrows, P and V rom board is closes to the arrow-side case and C,M and S rom board is furthest away.

is that right?

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
Just take a note of how they were in there just as you pull it out, and put it back the same way. :D

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Yes its a standard lay out.
Also there are cutouts/keyways opposite the contacts on the boards, which are different on each board making it impossible to get the board in the wrong location (without brute force)

Last edited:

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Motw

Take the cart ..With the screw holes facing upwards..
With the PCB/board ends facing toward you
Coin5_045.jpg

Take out the screws.

Lift up the top cover it'll open and go up towards the back of the case.
You'll see the chips facing up with the top board being the board with the two closer notches at the top
Notice there are two squares that fit into these notches or vise versa on the case.
Coin5_046.jpg

Coin5_048.jpg

When you lift up the top board you will see the bottom board also has it's Chips facing up but it has to further to the end notches that fill fit into the bottom case..
Coin5_049.jpg

Coin5_050.jpg

With the cart as it is ...the board separator (rectangle plastic piece)..
Has to be put in with the lower part of it on the bottom and the flat side goes towards the outside.
Coin5_053.jpg

Sep.jpg

When you put the bottom board in it has to go in flush..Whereas the back of the boards height in the case matches the front in the board separator.

When I tighten the screws down..if they feel like they are getting tight(spongy) I stop because something just might not be lined up right...I'll open it up again and check.

Sorry about the big picks..I tried to make it into one big pick with smaller picks inside but I couldn't do it..
I started to make this before the topic was replied to/answered.

Please add to this anyone...

This will be good for future searches

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
Nice post!
I think the time when you get screwed is with bootlegs.
I have a Puzzle Bobble which was rattling far too much, and I opened it to try to secure the PCBs better, but they just don't fit properly in the cart so it's going to rattle away - I assume it's a boot.

A bit off topis, but when you open a cart and there are the chips with holes you can see through (EPROMS????), should you always put some black tape over them to stop them losing data?

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
El Capitan said:
A bit off topis, but when you open a cart and there are the chips with holes you can see through (EPROMS????), should you always put some black tape over them to stop them losing data?

No on the tape. Chips can only lose their info if they are introduced to a strong magnetic force or if the chip itself fries out from overheating.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Since you use an ultraviolet light to erase EPROMS (The ones with the windsows), it would be wise to cover the widnsows to keep sunlight from erasing them in exposed boards or clear carts.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
norton9478 said:
Since you use an ultraviolet light to erase EPROMS (The ones with the windsows), it would be wise to cover the widnsows to keep sunlight from erasing them in exposed boards or clear carts.

Agreed...100%

I always put either a piece of black tape over them...or...I cut a piece off of one of the white label stickers sets that come with VCR tapes..

Suehirocho

New Challenger
Just as a sidenote, you may want to avoid flipping the upper part of the case at a 180 degrees angle to avoid breaking the label, especially with older ones.

I found out trying to keep it below 45 degrees would certainly not ease the operation (take out the 2 bords + spacer grouped in this case) but be safe for labels , should that be a concern to you ;)

Happy MVS bootleg hunting !