Aggressive Goro playing

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I love Goro as a grappler, but I must admit that I'm only good with him against aggressive charas (such as CPU Kyo, Iori, etc.). If my opponent plays defensively, it's difficult for me to strike forward with Goro as I would with my guys Joe or Ralf.

For ex., a combo like this does lots of damage, but again it's mostly defensive (except for the df+C):

get close to opponent with qcb+K, then standing A -> df+C -> hcf+C

If you hit the block, the lag on the hcf+C will give your opponent a welcome chance to combo you, and the qcb+K starter is mostly too dangerous, so what remains is a simply df+C -> hcf+C...

What are your favourite offensive Goro tactics? Discuss!

ray_7

My fav plays:

- jump B, C, hcf+C

- jump B, C, hcbx2+C

<small>[ March 12, 2003, 03:41 AM: Message edited by: ray_7 ]</small>

In KOF2k2, without the BC break, you can't link a special move from the dfC. Which kinda tones him down from the monster he was in 97, 98. This kinda makes him a little boring now.. but then again, I haven't been playing much 2k2 recently.

hyde

Super Spy Agent
wtf 3 posts this is it all the dicussion for daimon???!?!?!?!?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

first you'll need to know
2a, 5a, 5b, 5c, 5d are all great pokes

if your opponent keeps blocking
then keep kicking him with 5b.
or any jump atk, then do a 623b (dp+k). mind the time gap.

i don't do 41236c (hcf+p) often. i mostly cancel it with cd. i cancel into 41236b (if cd hits, 41236b to cancel out the time, 623a) or 623a/c as well.

don't do 214b (qcb+k) unless you know what you are doing..
or you are just making yourself free for combo -_-

speaking of 214b.. after you do the 632146c grab, dash forward a little (about 2 steps), do the 214b, then AB. you should be just on the other side of your opponent and he's just climbing back up. there's a list of choices you can do next.
623b, 41236b, 4123641236b.

there are many other options after the 632146c grab.
hop, ab, any grab.
hop, 214b, any grab.
hop, dash forward a little, 2a, 5b
dash a lil, 214b, ab, any grab (as mentioned aove)
don't dash a lil, 214b, ab, any grab (likely to above but you won't be on the other side of your opponent.)
dash a lil, 214b, 214b, any grab (likely to 2 floors above but you trick your opponent to suppose you'll be on his other side but you don't.)
dash a lil, ab, ab, 2a(x2), 5b, keep poking

(this is why i like to combo 632146c than 41236c)

okay i am kinda tired now ~_~

oh those above only works in 98. not sure about 97 since i don't play. 632146c is slow as hell in 01 got a bit better but not better than 98 in 02.

if you only want answers for 02 you can always add in your imaginations.
PLAYMORE and understand how and what can trick your opponents.

ask me anything in 98. i can always help. andy and chizuru are the only 2 characters i don't use.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
hyde:
[...] i don't do 41236c (hcf+p) often. i mostly cancel it with cd. i cancel into 41236b (if cd hits, 41236b to cancel out the time, 623a) or 623a/c as well.

don't do 214b (qcb+k) unless you know what you are doing..
or you are just making yourself free for combo -_-
Yep, tho I'm always tempted to do a qcb+B/D -> hcf+C, it's so nice & fluent. Most of the time, it doesn't work and I get punished. AB -> hcf+C is better, although it's a bad idea against another grappler like Shermie or Clark, they will pull you out of either moves and throw you around the screen.

speaking of 214b.. after you do the 632146c grab, dash forward a little (about 2 steps), do the 214b, then AB. you should be just on the other side of your opponent and he's just climbing back up. there's a list of choices you can do next.
623b, 41236b, 4123641236b.

there are many other options after the 632146c grab.
hop, ab, any grab.
hop, 214b, any grab.
hop, dash forward a little, 2a, 5b
dash a lil, 214b, ab, any grab (as mentioned aove)
don't dash a lil, 214b, ab, any grab (likely to above but you won't be on the other side of your opponent.)
dash a lil, 214b, 214b, any grab (likely to 2 floors above but you trick your opponent to suppose you'll be on his other side but you don't.)
dash a lil, ab, ab, 2a(x2), 5b, keep poking

(this is why i like to combo 632146c than 41236c)
The hcb,f+P is really a very good combo starter. I found that the A version works better in 2k2 compared to 98. Tho 2k2 is generally faster than 98, Goro's strong hcb,f+P comes out quicker in 98. This is why some ppl say Goro would be toned down in 2k2 (that and the lower priorities).

Adapted for my Goro 2k2 style, it would look like this:

hcb,f+A -> two-step dash -> AB -> hcf+C

or (with at least one stock)

hcb,f+A -> short dash -> AB (behind opponent) -> hcfx2+B (this is risky of course, so I don't do it too often in 2P fights).

okay i am kinda tired now ~_~

oh those above only works in 98. not sure about 97 since i don't play. 632146c is slow as hell in 01 got a bit better but not better than 98 in 02.

if you only want answers for 02 you can always add in your imaginations.
PLAYMORE and understand how and what can trick your opponents.
Oh, I find his hcb,f+P quicker in 2k2 compared to 2k1, tho his grabs (specially the hcf+A anti-air) have lost priority IMO. Strangely, most longer combos in 98 involving hops or qcb+K's to adjust timing can be performed immediately in 2k2. In that perspective, I still have to practise his MAX mode free cancels, but that's another story (and perhaps another thread).

Btw., his 2k2 HSDM is difficult to pull off for me:

f,d,df,b,d,db+BC

Do you know a good way to pull it off effectively? Somethimes if a chara has no qcfx2 super, I substitute the f,d,df with a quick qcfx2, but in this case, a qcfx2,qcbx2+BC is just too much, and it often triggers his qcbx2+P DM...

Anyway, nice reply hyde. I always hear that Goro is so popular, but most ppl don't want to discuss his moves, perhaps his popularity is overrated. Most of my friends hate him (and consequently they suck big time with him). I think Goro is one of the best charas in KoF, not only because of his power, he's just a blast to play. Nothing better than cancelling a furious attack with a well timed command throw!

hyde

Super Spy Agent
um sorry i don't know any shortcut to do his hsdm in 02

i can always pull it off,,, maybe it's the problem with your joystick?
just keep thinking you are doing dragonpunches on both sides and it won't be too diff.

you might know this already but a nice way to combo the hsdm is (bc) 3c, 41236b (for the cancel), the hsdm
it's really damaging.

though i haven't done this once in a pvp fight. always thinking of performing complex combos might kill you :o annoyed

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
hyde:
[...] you might know this already but a nice way to combo the hsdm is (bc) 3c, 41236b (for the cancel), the hsdm
it's really damaging.

though i haven't done this once in a pvp fight. always thinking of performing complex combos might kill you :o annoyed
The only HSDMs I use in a real fights so far are Terry's rising force and Joe's cross tornado, or Mai's Kubi no Kitsune (just for the l@@ks).

I never tried comboing Goro's HSDM, I still suck at it. I know it's just a forward and a reverse dragon punch and I have no prob pulling of either one, but if I try to bringt them together in a 2P match, I fumble 9 times out of 10, giving my opponent a free combo ticket.