Paleontologists discover ancient "Sea Monster" in Peru (wicked artist's rendition!)

aria

Former Moderator
Paleontologists discover ancient "Sea Monster" in Peru (wicked artist's rendition!)

Paleontologists discovered a giant killer whale in the deserts of Peru.

They've even named it Leviathan (Leviathan melvillei, the second part after Herman Melville, a.k.a. author of "Moby Dick")

While that's cool enough on its own, the kicker is the artists rendition of this this:

whale220_1670203f.jpg

FUCK. YEAH.

That baleen whale is capital-S screwed.

'Sea monster' fossil found in Peru desert
By Hilary Whiteman, CNN

Researchers scanning the Peruvian desert for whale fossils have stumbled upon the remains of a "sea monster" three times the size of a modern day killer whale.

The teeth of "Leviathan Melvillei" were so large it was initially assumed they were elephant tusks.

"There were no elephants in South America before 3 million years ago, and the specimens found have an age of 12 to 15 million years, so that was impossible," said Professor Jelle Reumer, one of the team of scientists who found the fossil in the Pisco-Ica desert in coastal Peru.

They had been searching for other types of whale fossils in a remote area some 300 kilometers south of Lima. "The place where we found it was 20 kilometers from the nearest village," said Reumer, who is also director of Natural History Museum in Rotterdam.

Strong winds had shifted sand to expose a three-meter long fossilized skull. The skull of today's blue whale, still the largest animal ever known to have existed, is around six meters long.

The fossilized remains found in Peru include a jaw bone and several teeth, each around 12 centimeters in diameter and up to 36 centimeters in length.

The size of its teeth indicate that the mammal fed on large prey, possibly baleen whales which were plentiful at the time of the Leviathan's existence around 12 million to 13 million years ago, in the middle of the Miocene Age, Reumer said.

It is not known why they became extinct. Reumer said it could have been due to "climatic deterioration."

"After the Miocene it became relatively much colder. At the same time the baleen whales became bigger probably to escape from predation from these animals, just the way elephants escaped predation by becoming bigger so they were not eaten by lions any more," he said. Baleen whales now grow to 30 meters in length. Back then, they were much smaller, around six to ten meters long.

Reumer says the Leviathan could be best compared to a modern killer whale. Killer whales feast on sea lions, seals, fish, birds and sometimes other whales.

Modern sperm whales have a completely different method of feeding; they suck in squid at depths of a kilometer or more and only have relatively small teeth on their lower jaw.

The whale was named after the original Hebrew word for a mythical sea monster -- Livyatan -- and Herman Melville, the author of the novel Moby Dick.

The remains of the Leviathan Melvillei will remain in Peru at the Museo de Historia Natural in Lima. Casts of the three largest teeth are on display at the the Natural History Museum Rotterdam.

Reumer says there is very little chance another will be found. "It's a top predator so there were very few specimens living at any period of time. The chance that they are fossilized is very small and the chance that you find them is even smaller," he said.

The find is detailed in a paper published July 1 in the scientific journal Nature.

Wombie

Kuroko's Training Dummy
:lol:

Thanks man.... I learn something new on neo-geo.com everyday!

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
Since I live very close to Rotterdam I see it as my duty to go there soon and make some pics of the cast they made of the teeth.Will post them here when i went there.
Thank you for this,Bobak.

Segata_Sanshiro

Tesse's Maintainence Man
15 Year Member
From the sound of the article the teeth are longass elephant tusks, not stubby little shark's teeth like in the artist's rendition

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
cool
I am into cryptozoology and this type of thing, the Megalodon is off interest to me too, people are always selling meg teeth on ebay and as big as some are, they would like tiny compared to this Whales

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Kick ass.

Here were monsters :D

Daedalus

If there's a Bandwagon. I'm on it!
Just the idea that something hunted and killed whales for its food, is pretty cool sounding....

jsiucho

Sakura's Bank Manager
15 Year Member
I have a whale rib that was found in a lot we own in Huacho Peru, may its from this guy :eek:

JS

N30_G30_speed

Angel's Love Slave
wow

It is indeed pretty cool, but think that this creature died millons of years ago... while the giant squids are still out there... :help: ...

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
That Leviathan has such a "fuck you" look in his eyes

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
So we have Leviathan, and I guess the "Ziz" can be the Quezalcoatlus...

Now all we need is a rhinoceros that's the size of a house and we can have a "behemoth" (and the trifecta of magical hebrew beasts will be complete).

Last edited:

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Now all we need is a rhinoceros that's the size of a house and we can have a "behemoth" (and the trifecta of magical hebrew beasts will be complete).

Nevermind, I found the behemoth too....exactly how its described in the bible lol:

amphiceolias-fragillimus.png

argentinosaurusAB.jpg

The biggest dinosaur ever.

Marek

Banned
So we have Leviathan, and I guess the "Ziz" can be the Quezalcoatlus...which was also from 100 million years ago...

I was going to go there, but didnt.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
So we have Leviathan, and I guess the "Ziz" can be the Quezalcoatlus...

It is the fate of our age that we fight in isolation.

I recall a shroom trip where I met Queatzacoatl (sp?) the feathered serpent, I also ripped trees from the ground via telekinesis hahaha.

God, childhood was so much more fun.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

I recall a shroom trip where I met Queatzacoatl (sp?) the feathered serpent, I also ripped trees from the ground via telekinesis hahaha.

I envy people who can still trip.

2Heed

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
20 Year Member
That illustration is pretty misleading, unless the baleen whale is a minke or some other "small" 40-footish whale. My guess is they went for the smaller baleen to emphasize how frightening this thing was, but at its lengh it's no bigger than a (wait for it) sperm whale.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member

I met the behemoth twice...once in a trip, the other in a dream. Kinda looked like a stocky baluchitherium but it was WAAAAAAYYY bigger and its grumbling and grunts shook the earth and it stunk to high hell.

The mind is a weird place to explore...

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
Did Jesus used to ride it when he was wearing his aqua socks?

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

It's Quetzalcoatl. And you're lucky you didn't meet Tezcatlipoca.

I'm curious, did you know his name before the trip, or did you have to go and look up what you saw? Very interesting either way.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
It's Quetzalcoatl. And you're lucky you didn't meet Tezcatlipoca.

I'm curious, did you know his name before the trip, or did you have to go and look up what you saw? Very interesting either way.

Yeah I knew his/her/its name before the trip. I've read a huge amount of mythology as a kid. That said, I wasn't trying to invoke the deity, I've also met Iku-Turso

CthulhuI wager.

I raised the motherfucker from a lake.

What you think, you become?

Last edited: