Samurai Shodown 5 Special US AES diff?

mystikal1000

Banned
What is the difference between these two US AES carts. The price guide shows different prices.. What does fixed mean?

Samurai Shodown 5 Special
Samurai Shodown 5 Special(fixed)

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
The fatalities were removed from the game when it was released on AES, however, SNK relented and were "fixing" the carts to add watered down fatalities. It was later discovered that the full fatalities were actually on the original game, just locked out, but the fixed versions no longer had them. If you have a custom bios, it's possible to play the "unfixed" version with the original full fatalities restored, just like the arcade. You cannot do this with the "fixed" version.

Kim Kaphwan

Member,
20 Year Member
You can tell if the cart is fixed by looking for a crease on the top of the AES cart label and the small Neo Geo sticker beside the front cart label.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Have you played this particular copy of the game? If it has the 'shobu ari' sound glitch, it isn't fixed. If you haven't/don't plan to play this copy for whatever reason, as others have mentioned: look for the small neo circle sticker on the front cover, and evidence of the cart being opened. These are signs of being fixed.

darcotrigger

Zero's Tailor
Doesn't appear to be the fixed version. Of course it's always possible some one could have removed the little round sticker from the right side of the cart, but I feel very safe in saying it's the unfixed version.

mystikal1000

Banned
Have you played this particular copy of the game? If it has the 'shobu ari' sound glitch, it isn't fixed. If you haven't/don't plan to play this copy for whatever reason, as others have mentioned: look for the small neo circle sticker on the front cover, and evidence of the cart being opened. These are signs of being fixed.

I just got the game. I think its unfixed, but not totally sure. How do I reproduce the 'shobu ari' sound glitch?

Abster

Dodgeball Yakuza
Just go through a match. "shobu ari" would normally appear at the match's conclusion. If it goes "ippon" instead then it's unfixed. You can also try a variety of zetsumei moves "qcb+CD when in a rage explosion on a deciding round" and see what happens. If the characters all perform the same kind of issen slash attack, it's unfixed. Otherwise, it's fixed.

Fett

Camel Slug
There is in SS5S for MVS, I can't say for sure for normal SS5, but I would assume so.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The zetsumei ougi are in V special, not in V.