Snk serial Stickers - Jap MVS

poodude

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I've been wondering for a while now, and haven't found any posts that talk about this. What is the significance of the numbered serial stickers that can be found on some Japanese MVS carts? Were these all applied officially by SNK for some reason? It looks like they were trying to do what they did in the US on the normal MVS stickers. Why only on a small number of Japanese carts? All of my carts do not have this sticker.

149v7s3.jpg

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Some early carts have them, Such as Samurai Spirits, and some later carts have them, like the Garou in the pic you linked. Who knows? SNK wasn't very consistent in labeling stuff, period.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
They weren't just on JP region carts, they were also on early US releases as well.

roboarmy2.jpg

Edit: D'OH, didn't realize the OP pointed this out already.

Last edited:

Masamune

n00b
Is there any reason why some carts have parts of their labels ripped/blacked out (I'm guessing this is where the serials were)?

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
They weren't just on JP region carts, they were also on early US releases as well.

He hinted at that already in his post.

Is there any reason why some carts have parts of their labels ripped/blacked out (I'm guessing this is where the serials were)?

Because some arcade operators were afraid they would get in trouble if they resold their carts, since they really weren't supposed to. The serial could be traced back to the original purchaser.

Last edited:

Masamune

n00b
He hinted at that already in his post.

Because some arcade operators were afraid they would get in trouble if they resold their carts, since they really weren't supposed to. The serial could be traced back to the original purchaser.

Ah, makes sense. Good knowledge, thanks. :cool:

BobbyPeru

Man of Letters

Which is weird. I mean, wouldn't the game be their personal property once purchased, allowing them to resell it as they please?

Also, all those carts are for sale in my sales thread:)

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206708

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Which is weird. I mean, wouldn't the game be their personal property once purchased, allowing them to resell it as they please?

Also, all those carts are for sale in my sales thread:)

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206708

Yeah, SNK never pursued any action against arcade operators who resold the carts, I guess it was just paranoia on their part. After all, it is their property like you said.

FairlanePhantom

Mai's Apprentice
Yeah, SNK never pursued any action against arcade operators who resold the carts, I guess it was just paranoia on their part. After all, it is their property like you said.

I think there was also a program to send games back for credit towards other games, but can't remember for sure.

SNK wasn't all that consistent with labeling, like how you may or may not get holographic labels here and there of the same game.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
There was either some legality or binding agreement that was supposed to prevent resale of MVS carts. Maybe SNK wouldn't have pursued it, but there was no point in the ops risking it, so they removed the serials.